• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Super Dimension Century Orguss Sub. DVD 1-2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this show. The reused animations were kinda cool for some reason (Orguss jumps towards a cliff wall, pushes himself off, then glides across the screen shooting in just about every episode). At times the fighting did get monotonous, but overall it was pretty enjoyable, and I liked the ending too.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen the original Orguss, but I always liked Orguss 02. Being a big 80s mecha geek, this review makes it sound like this is right up my alley.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otakuboy T

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
Thank kami-sama it has the dub. For me it IS a selling point.

Fnally I don't have to hunt down the VHS tapes anymore.

"Where are you going, when are you coming home"
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Otakuboy T wrote:
Thank kami-sama it has the dub. For me it IS a selling point.

Fnally I don't have to hunt down the VHS tapes anymore.

"Where are you going, when are you coming home"

It should be noted that the original release company (Streamline?) never dubbed the whole thing, so the ImaginAsian DVDs will only have the dub for as many episodes as were originally dubbed "back in the day." The last few, you'll have to watch with subs.

I'll probably be watching the dub, too....I love crappy old dubs. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quote
The remaster looks fantastic since the last time I watched the series it still had visible splices frame shaking and poor contrast. After rewatching the awful Southern Cross DVDs I remembered how poor masters look when transfered to DVD, unlike the gorgeous Mospeada and Macross remasters.

Was the OP credits song remastered as well? It seems to start off with what seems to be a clipped of part of the intro to the extended version. Also the ending of the OP is a bit different in my mind. Granted we are talking about 20 years since I've seen this series so I could be wrong. My guess is that a good master for the tv size OP was unavailable so the full length version was cropped and used.

The IA trailers on the first DVD locked up on my Oppo DVD player. I have not tried it on my other players to see if it works, but plan to. I'm also going to watch Cat's Eye tonight to see if it suffers from the same problem. This isn't too unusual since I have a handful of DVDs that won't work with any given player. Fate/Stay 5 also didn't work on the Oppo along with Penn and Teller BS. This is nothing compared to the list of DVDs that wouldn't play on my Sony, but I did own the Sony longer.

This is also one of the very few DVDs that I own that is encoded as
DD 1.0. Most mono DVDs that I own are oddly encoded as DD 2.0. No difference ti my ears, but it is funny to see only one light on my receiver's diagram light up.

It's amazing how much of this series I remember, but then again I did watch it a number of times, certainly more than Cat's Eye which is a vague blur. I did however completely forgot the "Macross Girls" cameo in episode 2.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
jgreen: It was U.S. Renditions which dubbed the first half.

Randall: Don't remember the original intro, but it's probably some more TMS interference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1