• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Is That Short Screen After The Opening?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Flying Witch on Crunchyroll in the US is this season's example

Huh, so you do pull questions from the past. Always kinda assumed that you only considered new questions you get during the week and that if one doesn't see their question answered that week they never will.

That said, I figured this would be the type of question you'd skip over since it's pretty common knowledge.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that people complained that official DVDs didn't have something from the fansubs, even if watching those fansubs would make it pretty obvious that it was just a plug for the sponsors.

I think it was Lagrange that had one of those sponsor segments left on, although it was just the music and the still shot. I have no idea if that was intentional since it isn't the norm. Throw in that the first half had a warning on it about "mature content" for a show that was rather tame, and I'm inclined to wonder if maybe it was an oversight.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I remember the existence of Himiko Den, though I never watched it because by all accounts at the time it wasn't that good except for its amazing opening song, Pure Snow, which every anime watcher at the time loved, and so everyone I knew passed around the mp3 of that song even without ever having seen Himiko Den. I'll have to give it another listen now.

This week's question amuses me, because the only way you'd ask that question is if you've never watched a fansub ever, and the words, "kono bangumi wa, pi ando ji to kono guran no supansaa no teikyo de okurishimasu" not forever ingrained in your brain.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that people complained that official DVDs didn't have something from the fansubs, even if watching those fansubs would make it pretty obvious that it was just a plug for the sponsors.

Most fansubs (and fan scanlations) stay faithful to the original names instead of switching them all into first names. It's not bad or wrong, I just feel awkward everytime I hear the last names are localized and switched into first names.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
brucepuppy wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

Most fansubs (and fan scanlations) stay faithful to the original names instead of switching them all into first names. It's not bad or wrong, I just feel awkward everytime I hear the last names are localized and switched into first names.

Huh? I don't follow. The quoted comment was about the この番組はご覧のスポンサーの提供でお送りします。part being removed.

That is a good example of why fansub translations are often worse for a general audience, though. Not quite as bad as Funimation's official Shin Godzilla translation preserving loan words from English when translating back to English, even though the meanings were slightly different in Japanese. However, just like with names, people often feel awkward when the one or two words they understand in a sentence aren't "literally" translated, even when literal translation changes the meaning or mood.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Fansubs of Dragon Ball Super have sometimes been keeping those sponsor messages intact, not because they're particularly important or anything, but because on Fuji TV, they're read in-character by Masako Nozawa. Just a neat little touch, having the actual main character of the show announcing the sponsors rather than the usual generic announcer voice who clearly couldn't care less. Keeping the sponsor message screens but without the actual logos or "This show is brought to you by these sponsors" voice though... Now you're just wasting ten seconds of people's time for no reason at all.
Lillymon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
When I read this I couldn't help but think of the Yes! Yes! Love Adventure GO! Let's Play series, which has its own parody anime-style opening, complete with sponsor card.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of amazed it's possible nowadays to watch anime without being familiar with GRAND SPONSOR TOKYO DAY OH CHRISTMAS in the process.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
This week's question amuses me, because the only way you'd ask that question is if you've never watched a fansub ever, and the words, "kono bangumi wa, pi ando ji to kono guran no supansaa no teikyo de okurishimasu" not forever ingrained in your brain.

It's been almost a decade since someone at an anime convention tried to convince me that these words were "Grand Sponsor: Tokyo Day of Christmas", and even though I've always known better, I still can't hear it as anything else.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Lol does anyone remember how awkward the Inuyasha ones were? Because Viz removed the audio about the sponsor but kept the footage, you just saw Kirara scratching out Myouga and he jumps back on, back and forth, back and forth during the last seconds of the OP and you're like......"wtf?" Anime hyper

...it took me a while to figure out what the hell that scene was about. LOL
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Lol does anyone remember how awkward the Inuyasha ones were? Because Viz removed the audio about the sponsor but kept the footage, you just saw Kirara scratching out Myouga and he jumps back on, back and forth, back and forth during the last seconds of the OP and you're like......"wtf?" Anime hyper

...it took me a while to figure out what the hell that scene was about. LOL

You know, I don't think I realized what that was until just now. I think I just chalked it up to the show trying to be quirky.
Brakus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
"Support for [anime title] comes from these grand sponsors and from contributions to the anime industry from Viewers Like You. Arigatou gozaimasu."
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
I'm kind of amazed it's possible nowadays to watch anime without being familiar with GRAND SPONSOR TOKYO DAY OH CHRISTMAS in the process.

Nowadays? It's much, much easier to watch anime nowadays without being familiar with it than at any previous time in non-Japanese anime fandom history. We live in a time when close to 100% of everything can be watched without seeing it.

I suppose there was that period of time when TV source quality VHS fansubs tended to be so bad that people were willing to wait the extra weeks for the laserdisc source VHS fansubs, which tended to lack the sponsor message, especially since everything took weeks to do anyway, but even then few people who watched fansubs stuck to LD source only.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Huh, so you do pull questions from the past. Always kinda assumed that you only considered new questions you get during the week and that if one doesn't see their question answered that week they never will.
That said, I figured this would be the type of question you'd skip over since it's pretty common knowledge.

Normally that's true. But I'm going on vacation in a few days, and everyone is busy so questions haven't been flowing in all that freely, so I'm rummaging through old emails trying to find enough to write a bunch in advance.

I did think it was interesting that a new generation of fans may not have seen the sponsor screen in its full glory before. Also I may be getting desperate. Razz
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
This week's question amuses me, because the only way you'd ask that question is if you've never watched a fansub ever,

Why is that amusing?
I did not ask the question but I have also never watched a fansub, ever.

jymmy wrote:

I have watched anime constantly for nearly 15 years and I had never heard of that until just now.
I must be really amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4