• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do You Still See Flip Phones In Anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I was in Japan last week. Pretty much everyone I saw with a phone, was using a smart phone. And it was mainly the iPhone. Though we did visit the countryside and out there it was much more likely for people to read actual books and manga on the train where in Tokyo it was all phones (an very occasionally a small tablets).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun has a chapter where the titular manga author puts smart phones into his manga because they're cool but doesn't understand them because he still has a flip phone.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I have a flip phone because I refuse to buy an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy. I have no use for those types of cellphones. Hell, if it were up to me, I'd toss the shit. I don't like cellphones. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Animechic420 on Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Depends on when the anime was produced and released or what time in history it depicts as well. Some of the older ones show people using a payphone keosk, or booth obviously before mobiles/cells. I still use a "feature" phone, a black clamshell Nokia. Feature phones are still sold here in the UK as well. I'm too dumb for a smartphone nor do I really need one as all I ever use a phone for is calling and texting, However having said that if and when it dies I'll probably get a smartphone then. Which ever dies first that is. Laughing
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Could have sworn this question was answered already...

Anyways, regarding Japanese cell phones I've always found it neat how they can transfer contact info using infared. I keep wondering why American phones can't do that.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Anyways, regarding Japanese cell phones I've always found it neat how they can transfer contact info using infared. I keep wondering why American phones can't do that.

I am pretty sure American phones can do that? Or least they used to be able to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Flip phones are amazing. There's nothing like henshining with one.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun has a chapter where the titular manga author puts smart phones into his manga because they're cool but doesn't understand them because he still has a flip phone.

One reason feature phones still feature so much in anime and manga is that the folks making those might not necessarily be up to date on these things, especially if they belong to the older generation...
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Almost every Japanese person I know these days possess a smartphone. As much as I like the uniqueness and quirkiness of Garakei, Smartphones (Sumaho as referred to there) are just that versatile. Add to the fact that Japanese gaming culture is encompassing itself around mobile even more, for better or worse, makes it more of an incentive for Japanese people, young and old, to carry these. LINE, a messaging app, is extremely popular in Japan and afaik, they don't have a garakei version of it so that's another strike right there.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't currently use a cell phone because I don't need to (and being able to know when the next bus is coming isn't worth the monthly fees), but, if I ever needed to use one again, I'd see if I could just reactivate my old Samsung flip phone because I wouldn't use it for anything other than making phone calls. (I'm old-fashioned and am absolutely fine with "the Internet" being something that I only ever use at home.)

I like that flip phones are ultra-compact and don't easily break if you accidentally drop them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I too was in Japan recently in Tokyo for most of my trip and I can only recall once or twice seeing a person using a flip phone.

From what I saw about half were I-phones and the other half some sort of Android phone.

But most people were using smart phones, and on trains to play mobile games or surf the internet since talking while traveling on the train is a no no.

Can easily imagine that in Japan that they have to pay the full purchase price of a smart phone, unlike here in the states it's discounted to 200 dollars or less with a 2 year contract. If I had to pay that I too would be leery of buying one.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

I think it was a couple of years ago. Maybe a little less. But it's interesting how things have changed in just that short time. If I remember right, then, flip phones were still the majority of phones sold, or something. Now just a couple of years later smart phones have made a massive move forward. Just in that time, I've noticed the frequency with which they show up in anime to have gone down significantly as well. I don't see them nearly as much in anime now. Smart phones are certainly taking over.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I still think flip-phones are cuter than smaphos. And more private.

I'll probably be buying a smapho soonish though. I rarely need a browser while traveling, but if I do, this thing can barely load half a page of a modern website before crashing (they reinvent a browser for each website it feels like nowadays). And a better camera would be nice too. They keep asking for photos over at Shelf Life.. Wink
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Depends on when the anime was produced and released or what time in history it depicts as well. Some of the older ones show people using a payphone keosk, or booth obviously before mobiles/cells.

This is very true. I've noticed that flip phones are gradually phasing out in more recent anime. Also, since I usually wait for a dub, if technology seemed a little dated, it would serve as a reminder that what I was watching was probably a couple years old by that point. That isn't so much the case with simuldubs being a regular thing now.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Why Do You Still See Flip Phones In Anime?

Why Do You Still See Flip Phones In Japan?

Let me fix that for you. Maybe you see the majority of smartphones in Tokyo, but get out side of Tokyo, and that's not quite as true. I live in Japan 6-9 months out of the year for the better part of the past two and a half decades, mostly outside of Tokyo, typically in Kansai with my family, and it's still mostly flip phones. Going to Sapporo, flip phones. Smile

Even when Kyodo sends me in to Tokyo, I still see a large feature phone presence. Go in to a DoCoMo or Softbank store, and still half the phones are flip phones.

Unless, you have a boat load of cash, and most of us living here do not, the cost of a smartphone is completely and utterly out of our budget.

So, I'm going to be the old man who is in for the counter argument. Maybe, smartphones are all the rage for you kids without the bills, but I still see more OL's and Salarymen on the Osaka Loop line staring in to their feature phones, than I see kids with iPhones. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3