• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Some things on anime couples.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:24 am Reply with quote
[Warning:This post will have some contentious material in it. Please keep to the rules and that means no racist,sexist,or any other language like that will be accepted here. Also,the mods will have full discretion to enforce those rules. If you think that your post was wrongfully removed by the mods,PM me and I'll see what I can do. But,if they show me evidence that they were in the right,then you're fresh out of luck. So,let's try to keep things civil here,ok?]

Recently,I saw a video on Youtube. It was a video about different anime characters who never became couples. A couple of things in the video surprised me and I wanted to do a post on it. One of those couples I thought didn't get enough credit in the video and the other couple I thought the video got wrong. You might not think so,so just hear me out and tell me what you think. And now,with no further ado,let's go the first couple I noticed.

"Naruto:"In the video,they had both Naruto and Sasuke as a couple. I didn't see them as a couple. More like best friends/rivals. If there were characters in "Naruto" that deserved to be a couple,it was Naruto and Sakura. Naruto had carried a torch for Sakura for years while she pined for Sasuke. It wouldn't be until much later that she began to think that there could have been a future for these two. Actually,I think that both Sakura and Hinata would have been great for Naruto.

I read a few reviews of "Naruto:The Last." In one of those reviews I found one on Deviantart,someone said of it that it was "Let's give the Hyuga Princess everything she wants." I have no idea how popular the Naruto/Sakura pairing was in Japan,but people who wanted the pairing to succeed weren't very happy about it,especially Western fans of the pairing. Another review I found on Deviantart excoriated what was thought that many of the relationships that were created by what could be termed as "a relationship created by throwing darts at a dartboard."

That reviewer claimed that Kishimoto just threw his characters together for no reason,that the couplings that he gave them never really felt natural but artificial. Now,I haven't seen "Naruto:The Last,"so I can't really say for sure. What I do know is that I think is that Naruto and Sakura deserved a chance to find out whether they were meant for each other or not. I would have kept it an open question and only revealed it at the end of the manga. That's what I would have done,at least. And I think the worldwide fan base would have been happier if that happened as well.

"Bleach:"Another coupling I noticed in the Youtube video was Ichigo and Rukia from "Bleach." I don't know where they got that from. Perhaps they pulled it out of thin air. It certainly wasn't what I saw. Yeah,the two of them bickered at times like they were the leads in a Spencer Tracy/Katherine Hepburn film,but a romantic connection? Nah,I didn't see it. As far as I knew,they were both just good friends who would have been there for each other no matter what.

Unfortunately,for many fans,"Bleach" was the type of show that didn't have a lot of romance in it. Sure,we have lovely Orihime pinning for Ichigo and Chizuru trying to wrangle a date with Orihime,but that was just played for laughs. The thing was that "Bleach" was the type of show in which romance took a backseat to action and that was largely true throughout the series run. The end of the manga's something I won't spoil. You'll just have to find out for yourselves.

So,what did you think? What are your views on this topic? Please post your opinions below and please keep it civil. I'd like others to enjoy this post and I don't want it to be locked or deleted.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:10 pm; edited 4 times in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Shipping is subjective. There are shippers who accept reality of canon and still prefer the non-canon and there are delusional shippers who have actually convinced themselves their ship is the ONLY true ship no matter how far against the canon it goes. And then there are the shippers who normally ship what's canon to begin with so they're happy most of the time.....with some exceptions.

This person you speak of sounds like either Type A or B. I am Type C, myself.

And yes, IchiRuki absolutely has shipping potential and I think they are far superior over what Kubo chose and I'm pretty salty about it. lol

"Kishimoto and Kubo both are terrible at writing what they call "romance". "

That is my view. I don't agree with them on what a romance is.
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I watch almost all anime series with shipping goggles on, so there is almost always some sort of couple that I ship. This ship may or may not be canon and may or may not even be a romantic relationship in canon.

There are many shippers in the same situation. We simply like pairing characters, regardless of the intent of the author and regardless of what happens in the series.

I have not seen the video you referenced, so it is not possible to reply to the video maker's specific arguments--not that I have seen enough of Naruto or Bleach to participate in in-depth shipping wars for either series It seems that the video maker simply liked 2 pairings that the author chose not to make canon. I do not like either pairing that the video maker chose, but it is his prerogative to make the videos and make his case. What is the harm for a series that essentially pays no attention to romance like Bleach?

@Chiibi
And then for the exceptions, you are in category B. See MikaYuu. Wink
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:

And then for the exceptions, you are in category B. See MikaYuu. Wink

Pretty sure MikaYuu is not canon....nor does it have a chance to be, considering it's a shounen manga. Rolling Eyes

I AM NEVER IN B.

Don't insult my sanity. Twisted Evil
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
I am really neutral on the topic of shipping in general, but I definitely do not see anything wrong with it. It is just another way to enjoy anime, and other entertainment.

I often have my own ideas about who should get together but I never discuss shipping other than a brief mention, such as I am doing here.

I watched, and read, Bleach through the end of the rescue in the Soul Society story and stopped there. Throughout that whole time I was thinking that Ichigo and Rukia made a natural couple.
I am a fan of harem comedies and saw Orihime as the childhood friend, and you know how things usually end for them. I would have given Orihime to Tatsuki.

I have never watched Naruto at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

I watched, and read, Bleach through the end of the rescue in the Soul Society story and stopped there. Throughout that whole time I was thinking that Ichigo and Rukia made a natural couple.

RIGHT!? I really thought they did! A lot of people did....in fact, IchiRuki is the most popular ship not just in America but Japan as well. It didn't help that the anime staff ALSO thought they were the better pair. That's why there's so much IchiRuki in the OPs and EDs.
Lupica

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
I think the 'what if' scenarios of shipping are fun to play around with and would never dream of telling someone their ideas were invalid. With that said, on a personal level I'm glad Naruto didn't end up with Sakura. I didn't follow the series through to the end, I'm afraid, but as far as I did it was very much a one-sided crush with Sakura actively interested in someone else. There's a trend in some kinds of fiction for the nice guy to be 'rewarded' by 'getting the girl', and for the hero to automatically end up with the heroine, but I'm glad Sakura stuck to her guns and Naruto found someone right for him without resorting to that standard trope. Naruto and Hinata are cute together.

(I'm a little overly sensitive here because in a world of socially awkward anime fans I have been actively pursued by members of the community who believe that if they put in enough effort they can 'get the girl' even when the girl is not interested in them. It's really, really not fun. Sometimes it will work out, sometimes it won't; it's fine when it doesn't.)

Snomaster1 wrote:
Another review I found on Deviantart excoriated what was thought that many of the relationships that were created by what could be termed as "a relationship created by throwing darts at a dartboard."

Honestly, I think that this is how quite a lot of real-life relationships can seem too. I'm pretty sure some of my friends think it's weird that I chose the partner I did but we're both very happy.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I usually just ship the canon ship. They are usually the most fleshed out and make the most sense, well... usually.

Ichigo x Rukia would have worked if the story went into that direction after the Soul Society arc. But it didn't. I've not read the manga but from what I understand is that in the end Ichigo hadn't properly been developed to have feelings for anyone. I guess the mangaka just thought that he'd better pair him with someone rather than no one... And someone who had feelings towards him made more sense than someone who didn't, I guess.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:55 am Reply with quote
I like the responses I gotten with this so far. With "Naruto,"it could have gone either way with me. Either Sakura or Hinata or someone else. It really didn't matter to me. If Naruto and Sakura ended up together,I wouldn't have minded it because I thought they had a really great chemistry together. It's like with a lot of male/female pairs I've seen and liked over the years. They didn't have to be romantic,but they really seemed to have that special something that's hard to describe that makes you like seeing them together,whether it's just as friends,siblings or as romantic partners. You just like seeing them together and it's a feeling you just can't really explain.
If Sakura had been kidnapped,I wouldn't have been surprised if Naruto would have gone to the ends of the earth or further than that to get her back. It probably would have been great if they did. If the relationship could have gone farther,I don't honestly know. It could have worked,I just don't know. One thing's for sure. I'm surprised that Sasuke and Sakura ended up together. He didn't exactly treat her well when they first met. And he really wasn't all that interested in her,either. I thought he was more interested in being the James Dean of the Leaf Village,not in any friendships or romances.

In fact,it wouldn't have surprised me at all if she got involved with Naruto. He was good to her and was always there for her,even when she didn't really want him to. But also,I liked seeing him with Hinata. They were both so cute together. I was surprised that they got together at all. Naruto was nice to Hinata but thought that she was a little strange. I just saw it as a really great friendship,that's all. I guess it was one of those unlikely things that happened,I think.
As for "Bleach's" Ichigo and Rukia,I never really saw any real evidence of them being a romantic couple. Just being really good friends,that's all. As I said before,with this show,romance often took a backseat to action and plenty of it. But,I do remember this one episode about this guy and his girlfriend. They had a disagreement and she got possessed or something. When Ichigo rescued her,she was smitten with him. Rukia's reaction to it was surprise and a bit of jealousy. I wouldn't have been surprised if she wasn't thinking "What the heck is she doing?" But,then they were close friends. A jealous look like that wouldn't have been surprising. Not any real evidence of romance from my point of view,just close friendship. It would have happened with any of Ichigo's friends.

Well,I've got to go now,but I'll see you guys later,I hope.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
] But,then they were close friends. A jealous look like that wouldn't have been surprising.

Lol, I don't get jealous over my friends having relationships though. Just sad I'm not in one. Anime hyper

The anime staff wanted IchiRuki together so it's not surprising they threw that scene in there. It was on purpose for sure.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty indifferent towards shipping, but the only times it bothers me is when the main character gets with a girl he has poor or frustrating chemistry with instead of the girl I totally would have gone with whose personality is overall more appealing and has better chemistry with the lead. I'm looking at you, Oreimo and Re:Zero!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I'm looking at you, Oreimo

There are actually pictures online of Japanese fans burning the light novel volumes if that makes you feel any better? Anime hyper

Yeah, praise on Oreimo's ending pair is NOT something I have seen even once. Anime hyper People hated it. I also hated it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Re:Zero!

Blasphemy! Undoubtedly, without question, spoiler[Emilia was the indisputable best girl! Mad First girl = best girl], it's the anime rule, most of the time.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
Re:Zero!

Blasphemy! Undoubtedly, without question, spoiler[Emilia was the indisputable best girl! Mad First girl = best girl], it's the anime rule, most of the time.

Then you're wrong entirely. Don't be so hypocritical. spoiler[If what you say is true, Felt is best girl.]
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:24 am Reply with quote
That...uh... doesn't count. Embarassed

I meant more like that the spoiler[first love interest that is introduced is usually the heroine and usually wins.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5