• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dropper's Remorse (Ballad of the Indecisive).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
It happens all the time. I'd say I've only watched a second season in about half of my anime. In most cases, it is not that I decide that I don't want to watch it, in most cases I just haven't gotten around to starting.

I think it is worse with streaming. If I like the initial series, I assume I will like the follow-up and just plan on picking it up when it comes out on disk. Then I shelve it and forget to actually watch it. Confused

Like you, I'm not watching Sound Euphonium's second season. However, this season I'm not watching anything streaming so that might not be significant.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
A sub-themelet to this thread just occurred to me as a result of a personal experience. I watched and enjoyed the first season of Sound! Euphonium. I was happy to learn it would get a second season. Then, literally 2 minutes into the first episode of the seocnd season, I suddenly decided, out of the blue, I actually had no interest in more. I retroactively realized that I was "full." The first season of Sound! gave me all I wanted from that story. I have no interest in watching another round of practising like mad to get to, whatever.

Ever do that? Enjoy a first season but then not decide to pursue future helpings?
Yeah I do this a lot. Offhand I can think of 4 shows where I'm not really interested in seeing more from the franchise: Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Gunslinger Girl, Strike Witches and Last Exile (just really couldn't get into the Fam one). I guess what drives my interest to watch something includes new works by artists that I appreciate and follow, but continuations or spinoffs of existing works always seem to be 2nd rate to new original stories. I like to see creators I like come out with fresh new things, not relying solely on the success of previous works.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:23 am Reply with quote
Interesting. It just so happens that the four titles you cited are ones that I have not gone beyond the first season, as well. I even own the second season of Melancholy (and the movie) as well as the second season of GSG (and OVA). I think I know why I haven't followed up on those four shows yet. With Melancholy I feel I need to rewatch the first season, which is a bit of a barrier, even though I'm kind of looking forward to it (it's been several years). GSG is one of my favourite anime and if I had heard the second season was done by the same team and in the same spirit as the first I would have watched it long ago. I understand it is not and that has kept me at bay. Also, I need to rewatch the first before carrying on. Strike Witches, I have been waiting to buy the second season and simply haven't gotten around to it. I didn't mind Last Exile but it didn't set my world on fire, so although I have a low-grade interest in checking out Fam, it is not a burning desire.

Now that I think of it, I haven't gotten around to Spice & Wolf 2, which I own, despite generally liking the first or any of the additional seasons of Shana (which I don't own, mind you.)
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:03 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Ever do that? Enjoy a first season but then not decide to pursue future helpings?

Happens to me all the time. After watching a show I like I can sense if a sequel is a good idea. In many cases those stories closed off in such a way that making a satisfying sequel seems like a long shot. I wasn't interested in the sequels of Eureka Seven, Last Exile, Log Horizon, Baka and Test, Madoka Magica , the last season of The World god only knows, Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet or the coming seasons of Full Metal Panic! and No Game No Life, I love all of these shows I just don't think the sequels are a good idea.

Sometimes I don't finish the second half of a show because it is obvious to me the story concepts have been played out. I never finished the second half of Accel World, Blast of Tempest, Legend of Legendary heroes etc. It just didn't seem to me that the author could do better than the first half or come up with a satisfying second half.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
That's an interesting wrinkle as well, lesterf1020: not bothering with the second half of a two (or more cours). I'm not sure I've ever been in a similar situation. I guess maybe Blood+ is the closest. I really dug Blood+ Part 1 (the first 25 eppies) but I have not been able to plow my way through Part 2, yet. I have a horrible feeling I'm going to have to start over from the first episode if I ever want to complete that one.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Happens to me too! Some of the ones have been mentioned here: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Gunslinger Girl and Madoka Magica. There's also Durarara and Is this a Zombie?, but I've seen some mildly negative comments about those sequels. Particularly I've heard that Is this a Zombie? of the Dead focuses a lot less on the story or something so that definitely turns me off. Not sure if Psycho-Pass movie counts since I liked the first season, but the second season was uh.... not as good. It seems like my favourite character, who was absent from 2nd season, appears in the movie so I'm kinda excited about that. I definitely plan to watch it someday, I think. 3rd season of Kuroko's Basketball too, someday....
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Buyer's remorse, of course, is when we buy something and then end up regretting the decision. Like getting Samsung's Galaxy 7, for example......

So what are your experiences with Dropper's remorse? Ever experience it? Ever drop something, pick it back up and been very happy you did so? Very sad you did so?

First off I don't regret wanting a Galaxy 7. =p

I have quite often picked up series I dropped and given them a 2nd chance. Sometimes a 3rd. Never a 4th. Sorry but 3 strikes you're out. Some shows I simply dropped and would never go back to. Final Fantasy Unlimited & Bobobobobobobobob (however the hell you type it) for example. Yet other times I think that perhaps enough time has passed I might have a different opinion.

There have also been a handful of times I've had buyer's remorse and gotten series only to wish I had saved that money. Sure the show might be ok and decent but does it really justify spending anywhere from $35-$65 on average on it? Anymore I really try and judge what I spend my money on based on replay value. Could I see myself watching this again down the road? If not then is it worth spending the money just to own it? Old collector me would have said hell yea! Broke impoverished me says let's take it slow dumbass we want to have dinner this week. Plus with how many shows are pumped out now I feel you have to be more choosy. Your risk for buyer's remorse I think is higher now than ever before. I ca give 2 good examples for myself. Guilty Crown & Jormungand. I enjoyed both. I thought visually they were quite nice. Especially Guilty Crown. The music was also great. However, both shows had lack luster endings and with both season 2 soured the overall experience for me. Given how they ended I very likely might not ever watch them again. So was it worth buying both on BluRay?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
@ Psycho 101 - Killface, love it!

I'm like you in that I am definitely more careful about buying titles than I was back in the day (i.e. 2009). There is an asterick to that, however. For example, recently I happen to come across a seller who had all 8 Maison Ikkoku sets in great condition for a pretty decent price. This is a title that is almost impossible to get these days without selling a kidney. So, without sampling even a second of MI, I plunked down the cash. Now I happen to be a Rumiko Takahashi fan, so that eases my mind a bit, but I really hope I like this title (whenever I get around to watching it)!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

You may be in for a surprise. Maison Ikkoku is very atypical Rumiko Takahashi. To begin with it has a beginning, a middle and, most importantly, an end. There are no supernatural aspects at all. Think of it as a very slow romcom with triangular interruptions and a gallery of hecklers. If you do not want to be spoiled do not look at the covers of the individual disks especially in the final box until you are ready to watch them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the head's up, Alan45!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that you'll be disappointed, Blood-! Maison Ikkoku is easily one of my all-time favorite anime.

I'm afraid to ask, but how much did all 8 sets run you?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
I got them for $250 Canadian. I think that's a very reasonable price given that finding the entire set these days is pretty rare. And all the sets were in great shape. They even still had the original paper wrap arounds (obis?) for each set.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
That's not bad all. In fact, after seeing what the complete sets are going for these days, I'm quite jealous!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
That's why I had to leap at the opportunity. It was a terrible time for me to do it financially but there was no way I was going to spend the rest of my life going, "gee, really wish I had snagged those MI sets when I had the chance."
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:05 am Reply with quote
During its initial run, I dropped out of Psycho-Pass a little ways in, despite being a serious SF fan and it trying to be a serious SF story. The nastiness level was too much to begin with, but then as more details were revealed, the whole setting just started to seem ridiculous. A lot of people continued talking it up though, so when it was rebroadcast, I tried again...and dropped it again not long after.

On my DVR, there's a ton of space being eaten up by Hyouge-mono episodes that I can't seem to make myself watch. I like the first few that I've seen, and this is just the kind of anime I'd normally be into, and yet I've hit a wall somehow. Even so, I can't bring myself to delete them, even when I'm very short on disk space.

Beast Player Erin intrigued me from the start. It intrigued me so much that I started reading the original novel in Japanese. Soon after starting, I dropped the anime like a rock, because I did not want to be spoiled by such an inferior version of the story.

Space Brothers I stopped watching for a while, but eventually caught back up on and finished. For whatever reason, I just needed a break, I guess.

As for sequels that don't exist in my dojo, there are usually two causes for this:

1) inconsistency with the original, so that the world or recurring characters no longer seem themselves (Gundam ZZ, most Macross sequels, Gunbuster 2, Rurouni Kenshin Souseihen).

2) continuing a story that I strongly feel doesn't need to be continued (Gunbuster 2, Madoka Magica Rebellion, Kimagure Orange Road: Summer's Beginning).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3