• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Variety Covers New Anime Movies with Directors' Quotes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Shooting for its usual audience but with a different source is Toei Animation's "Canned," whose characters are based on a dating simulation game -- a break from the usual manga-to-TV-to-film cycle. Directed by Osamu Demakis ("The Rose of Versailles") and released last month, it tells the story of a boy who meets a mysterious girl in a dream.
Quote:
Enta Matsuri's Masugata cites Toei Animation's "Monopole," a Fuji Television series in which a medicine salesman travels through feudal-era Japan, as a true stab in the dark.

"Canned?!" Anime dazed

Okay, who's in charge of this terrible proofreading? Three wrong proper nouns -- much worse than non-specific words. It looks like the author ran the article through an automated spell checker and didn't bother to take care of proper nouns. For those who haven't figured out what "monopole" is: it's Mononoke.

Furthermore, game-to-TV is nothing new.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:58 am Reply with quote
Yeah, we thoughtfully made sure that ANN's article corrected the misspellings used in the Variety article. Wink With "Demakis" being an actual name of Greek origin, someone at Variety was probably blindly agreeing to a word processor's recommended spellcheck choices.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quote
What the hell? Dezaki's resorting to moe for a living?! Now I'm even more for an animator's union.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Okay, who's in charge of this terrible proofreading?
You're assuming anyone cared enough to proofread? I think that might be giving them more credit than they deserve.

dormcat wrote:
Three wrong proper nouns -- much worse than non-specific words. It looks like the author ran the article through an automated spell checker and didn't bother to take care of proper nouns.
That's probably exactly what happened. A quick write-up on the fly, automated spellcheck, and a complete disregard for their readers. Typical modern reporter if you ask me. Most of these guys consider anything less than political coverage to be beneath them.

dormcat wrote:
Furthermore, game-to-TV is nothing new.
On top of well-written articles, you're expecting them to be well-researched too? For a story on a subject that probably struck the author as a career low point? I'm amazed they even wrote the article.

I've noticed a few stories like this lately about mainstream coverage of anime. Maybe we're about to come out of the slump we've gotten into lately?

Bah, I'm too burned out from Geneon's ignoble demise to feel hopeful.

And on a completely personal note: if they're going to talk about anime movies, can't they talk about Makoto Shinkai? (Nothing against the fine folks talked about, I just happen to really like Shinkai's work.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1