• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Manga Questions & References Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Seems like the LN's have more depth and material in them.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:31 am Reply with quote
@Psycho 101

I have found that to be true in general with novel versions. Even when they don't leave out part or all of a volume the text version will have more detail than the manga version. I've specifically noticed this with Twelve Kingdoms, Strike the Blood, The Devil is a Part Timer and others. There are some things that simply don't translate well to a visual medium. To a lesser extent the same thing happens when going from manga to anime adaptations. In most cases, if you want the full story the original source material is best.

What I have found interesting is that going backwards seldom works. That is a manga or text adaptation of an original anime is seldom any good.
Larinelle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Hello everyone,
To be honest, I am not entirely sure whether this is the write place for me to ask - sorry if not!

I was wondering whether anyone knows anything about the status of the Manwah "Tiara" by KARA?
It has been sitting on volume 14 (ongoing) for a long time and with no knowledge of Korean, I am having a hard time finding any clue about volume 15.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:41 pm Reply with quote
So do I have learn Japanese to read the other Boogiepop novels or is Seven Seas going to publish the rest? The last one was published here in the states in 2008.

Did they not sell enough for them to continue?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
@Kruszer

I doubt you will see the rest of the series in English. Seven Seas stopped publishing novels several years ago. I don't think I've seen anything from them since about 2010. When asked they stated that they were losing money. It is possible with Yen Press apparently having success with them that SS may get back into the market, but it is unlikely that they will revive old series.

It is just like all the abandoned manga series, they just will not be back.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
So does anyone know if Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers manga is still on going or has it ended? In MAL its status is "finished", but I didn't find any news about it ending or getting canceled.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Kruszer

I doubt you will see the rest of the series in English. Seven Seas stopped publishing novels several years ago. I don't think I've seen anything from them since about 2010. When asked they stated that they were losing money. It is possible with Yen Press apparently having success with them that SS may get back into the market, but it is unlikely that they will revive old series.

It is just like all the abandoned manga series, they just will not be back.

Somehow I have some kind of curse that makes me get into these novels and manga that I won't be able to finish reading/collecting.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
@Kruszer

Ah! Welcome to the club. I just looked at my manga spread sheet. As of a year or so ago I had 145 titles listed as abandoned by the publisher. I'm not sure how many would be added if I brought it up to date. Things have been a little better lately, We haven't had any publisher go out of business recently.

It is a dammed if you do and dammed if you don't situation. If you start buying series as they come out you take a chance of the publisher abandoning the series. If there are more than a few volumes to a series and you wait until it is finished you risk paying ridiculous prices on the secondary marked or having a key volume missing altogether.

You can't win, but sometimes you can enjoy the ride. Wink
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
So does anyone know if Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers manga is still on going or has it ended? In MAL its status is "finished", but I didn't find any news about it ending or getting canceled.

Can't find any concrete info myself, but Japanese Wikipedia lists 4 volumes (same as MAL). At the rate they were released, if a volume 5 were to exist, it would be coming out this month. Given that there seems to be no solicitations for it, I would guess that it's either not coming out, or super-delayed.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Kruszer

Ah! Welcome to the club. I just looked at my manga spread sheet. As of a year or so ago I had 145 titles listed as abandoned by the publisher. I'm not sure how many would be added if I brought it up to date. Things have been a little better lately, We haven't had any publisher go out of business recently.

It is a dammed if you do and dammed if you don't situation. If you start buying series as they come out you take a chance of the publisher abandoning the series. If there are more than a few volumes to a series and you wait until it is finished you risk paying ridiculous prices on the secondary marked or having a key volume missing altogether.

You can't win, but sometimes you can enjoy the ride. Wink

Ouch. I guess I'm lucky I don't read that many manga and novels, I only have 10 incompletable series, unless you count the ones that are on infinite hiatus. However, when I've only read 63 manga/novel series in part or whole that still a good portion, not to mention the 10 I can't complete were some of the ones I was most enjoying like Seikai Novels (Crest/Banner of the Stars), Scrapped Princess novels, and Boogiepop novels. My recent approach to novels now if I want to read them is to snap them up as fast as I can even if I don't read them right away at least they're on the shelf for later.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:39 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Can't find any concrete info myself, but Japanese Wikipedia lists 4 volumes (same as MAL). At the rate they were released, if a volume 5 were to exist, it would be coming out this month. Given that there seems to be no solicitations for it, I would guess that it's either not coming out, or super-delayed.

I don't know what the manga is like, but I was hoping for it be the way for me to follow Rokka's story since the anime most likely isn't getting a 2nd season. Bummer, if it got cancelled.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

The Rokka no Yūsha (Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers) manga was carried on Shūeisha's Super Dash & Go! site, but Shūeisha stopped updating the contents of the Super Dash & Go! site. The Rokka no Yūsha manga moved to Shūeisha's Super Dash Bunko site, but the Super Dash Bunko site now doesn't carry the Rokka no Yūsha manga.
The last page of the 'final' instalment of the Rokka no Yūsha manga, which Shūeisha released digitally, says, 'ご愛読ありがとうございました,' and it is a phrase which tends to appear when the serialisation of a manga ends. The last page also says, 'To be continued!?' But the phrase has the question mark, and it is also accompanied by the word 'おわり,' which means 'The end.'
So probably the state of the Rokka no Yūsha manga is something like 'It ended. It might restart, though.'

Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
^
Well that certainly doesn't sound promising. I guess I'll never know what happens next in Rokka since LNs aren't my thing. Thanks for the help.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I have a misc. question that I haven't found any other news on...

During AX, CR announced that they would be adding "hundreds of Seven Seas manga in July" onto their manga app (which is severely lacking...) I was looking forward to this partnership and update and... nothing happened? Did I read it wrong, or did that contract just get put on hiatus?

(Wow just realized that this topic hasn't been updated in over a year!)
Zuatzu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Help! I have a few questions for Oasis 2 owners regarding file sizes for comics/manga purchased from Amazon. Figured it's much better to ask here first before buying an Oasis 2.

If you can answer the following questions for 1-2 comics/manga, it would be very much appreciated:
Title and vol/chapter/issue of comic/manga?
What's the file size of the comic/manga on Amazon's product details page?
What's the file size of the comic/manga on the Oasis 2 via direct download (on the device) or send to Kindle?
What's the file size of the comic/manga using the Download & transfer via USB option?

Thanks.
https://bestarny.com
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 44 of 45