• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Some Dubs Adapted So Much?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Asker said:
Quote:
I tried watching the dubbed version, but all the dialogue changed to have a lot of cursing and pop culture jokes...

Huh? I haven't seen a lot of the Hetalia dub, but I don't remember there being a lot of cursing in it. Confused
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Oh My Edo Rocket benefit from the dub and the changes it provided?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Asker said:
Quote:
I tried watching the dubbed version, but all the dialogue changed to have a lot of cursing and pop culture jokes...

Huh? I haven't seen a lot of the Hetalia dub, but I don't remember there being a lot of cursing in it. Confused

There isn't too much cursing, but there are some very mature scenes. For example, in one episode, Romano is giving Germany a present, and Germany asks "What is it? Another Jew?", which was censored out of the YouTube clip for it. More recently, Funimation has gone far more political; in the first episode of World Twinkle for example, while the Japanese just explains the concept of the G8 Summit cats, the Funimation version criticizes Russia leaving the summit and refers to them punningly as "the G8 Pussies".

I'm just surprised this wasn't asked earlier.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese don't really approve or disapprove of casting in dubs. With few exceptions, dubs are cast by Funimation or Viz and not the Japanese. That's a popular myth. As for adaptations, the same applies for the most part. Ikuhara got really pissed at the old Sailor Moon dub and insisted that Utena was accurate and Miyazaki got pissed of Warrior of the Wind, but most Japanese creators are apathetic towards any sort of dub. Any praise towards dubs WHEN the Japanese meet the English cast is based on politeness, not knowledge of vocal performances. Only Miyazaki, Tomino and Ikuhara care about dubs.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Wait, isn't this question someone looking for another reason to pick on dubs? Watching Hetalia for history tidbits over its comedy tells me- how should I put this- this person is genre blind or rather is unaware at how literally hard it is to find Japanese funny.... how hard it is to translate Japanese comedy literally... the challenge in the language itself to properly set up a joke and execute a punchline when the punchline is in the middle of the sentence.

I think dub crafting itself it a real art form, especially where comedy is involved; Timing, lip flaps, the visual scene itself and the plot, there's so many bits to get in line that it's amazing that not only can these things get done, they can come out funny.

When that fails, yell a lot, curse and reference things and then people will confuse it for comedy... or a Seth McFarlane project. Possibly both though I've yet to connect the two.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
More recently, Funimation has gone far more political; in the first episode of World Twinkle for example, while the Japanese just explains the concept of the G8 Summit cats, the Funimation version criticizes Russia leaving the summit and refers to them punningly as "the G8 Pussies".

There's also that woefully misplaced GamerGate jab in Prison Schools dub.

I would hope the failure of every gag dub would send a message that they are not welcome in the anime community. I can't think of the last time that we've got a pure gag dub instead of some bowdlerized lines companies like to try to shove in there. Kids dubs not withstanding.

-Stuart Smith
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
More recently, Funimation has gone far more political; in the first episode of World Twinkle for example, while the Japanese just explains the concept of the G8 Summit cats, the Funimation version criticizes Russia leaving the summit and refers to them punningly as "the G8 Pussies".

I would hope the failure of every gag dub would send a message that they are not welcome in the anime community. I can't think of the last time that we've got a pure gag dub instead of some bowdlerized lines companies like to try to shove in there. Kids dubs not withstanding.

-Stuart Smith

If I recall correctly Shin-Chan and Ghost Stories' dubs were pretty well received in the states. So saying that they are "not welcome in the anime community" is a blanket statement that doesn't hold much weight.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
hacked up and modified without the licensor's knowledge are long gone.

though they still exist.Say hi to Glitter Force and **** you to Saban.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

And the script writer actually had the gall to defend its inclusion by accusing people against it as the exact type of people it was jabbing at. What a truly unnecessary and pathetic way to push one's own agenda. What makes it even more deliciously ironic is how that line is immediately followed up by a close-up shot of the woman's cleavage. So they're simultaneously alienating SocJust's and anti-SocJust's, appealing to absolutely no one. Good call, Funimation.

Last edited by Jayhosh on Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:33 pm; edited 5 times in total
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
For crazy adaptations, look no further than the Latin American version of Pokémon... They overuse Mexican culture, and they slowly expanded it to cover some other countries, but it's still really far away from the original.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
Asker said:
Quote:

There isn't too much cursing, but there are some very mature scenes. For example, in one episode, Romano is giving Germany a present, and Germany asks "What is it? Another Jew?", which was censored out of the YouTube clip for it. More recently, Funimation has gone far more political; in the first episode of World Twinkle for example, while the Japanese just explains the concept of the G8 Summit cats, the Funimation version criticizes Russia leaving the summit and refers to them punningly as "the G8 Pussies".

I'm just surprised this wasn't asked earlier.

While the Gamergate "joke"(if you can even call it that cause it went over like a fart in church) was totally out of place, I quiet liked the G8 joke, it was so stark and such a harsh dig it crushed it and had me laughing.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
To be honest I can handle most of the small changes that a distributor makes to a show like pop culture jokes or references. The only thing that I can't handle are big changes that effect the story or original message that the show was trying to tell. Mad
nagpo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they don't make these drastic changes anymore. And I think Shinchan would've been more successful here in the states in the long run if it was faithful.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
If I recall correctly Shin-Chan and Ghost Stories' dubs were pretty well received in the states. So saying that they are "not welcome in the anime community" is a blanket statement that doesn't hold much weight.

I recall Shinesman's gag dub as being very well received in the States, as Justin noted a couple of years ago. Of course that's "well received in the anime community," not "well received enough to become a mainstream hit," that sort of Holy Grail that only applies to a few anime (and Saban's Power Rangers efforts.)
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Didn't Oh My Edo Rocket benefit from the dub and the changes it provided?

I'm so happy to hear someone mention Oh! Edo Rocket in 2016. And yes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5