• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forums (Talkback) Has Been Hacked

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the Talkback forum has been attacked with foreign language spam.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
I reported a few of them but there do not seem to be any moderators around right now.

Edit (13 minutes later): The posts are still there but there have not been any new ones for 20 minutes, so maybe it is over.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
I hope somebody does something about the spam that's been showing up in the forums lately. It's ridiculous. This also occurred on another anime website called Akemi's Anime World,which I used to spend some time at. They were mostly silly ads in Russian. I hope this stuff is deleted immediately and the spambot or whoever it is is stopped. It's stupid and ridiculous and I wish it would stop. Where are the mods? Why aren't they doing ANYTHING to stop this nonsense? Mad Question

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
F***ers have been a real annoyance as of late. It only takes a few clicks to report an account as a spambot and have all of the posts removed, but they create a new account soon after, so it's a constant stream of abuse. They'll dump a bunch of posts at once, stop posting on that account, create a new one at some point later, and do it all over again. The mods can deal with the issue after the fact whenever we're on the website (and, well, we do have lives outside of ANN), but there are no preventative measures that we can take (at least that I know of). That has to come from higher up or forum software.

The forum has always had spammers, but most times they are flagged right off the bat (if a new account's first post includes a link off site it immediately gets put under moderation). These new accounts, however, ****aren't tripping our spam traps**** [specifics removed. Let's not tell the spammers what we look for -t ]

Last edited by Crisha on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
Well, it is the wee hours of the night or morning depending on what coast you are on.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I hope somebody does something about the spam that's been showing up in the forums lately. It's ridiculous. This also occurred on another anime website called Akemi's Anime World,which I used to spend some time at. They were mostly silly ads in Russian. I hope this stuff is deleted immediately and the spambot or whoever it is is stopped. It's stupid and ridiculous and I wish it would stop. Where are the mods? Why aren't they doing ANYTHING to stop this nonsense? Mad Question

So sorry that we mods have lives. I mean how dare we go to work, cook dinner, spend time with our families, or try and get *gasp* sleep. Seriously, you need to relax. As for the rise in spam as of late, just ignore it. For every one thread that makes it through the safeguards there are 100 that do not. If some get crafty and get around those pre-emptive safeguards then when a mod/admin gets onto the forums we will handle it. Yes it is annoying but overreacting won't help.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
It helps that, on the east coast of Australia, I'm logging in at different times of the day from the other mods. With daylight savings time Melbourne is 16 hours ahead of New York and 19 hours ahead of Los Angeles. I'm usually logging in early in the (Melbourne) morning and in the (Melbourne) evening, and during quiet times at work, like now - where it is not quite 4:00 pm. Smile

But, yeah, they're a pest, but an easy to deal with pest, when a mod is logged on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:53 am Reply with quote
I admit that it's been a long time but I'd like to apologize for the tone of my earlier comment. I was a bit rude and frustrated so I hope that everyone forgives me for the way I acted and I hope I can put this behind me.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
It's all good, thanks John Snow.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1