• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Japanese Kids Carry Handkerchiefs?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
In You Only live Twice(novel), Tiger mocks Bond for using a handkerchief. I thought handkerchiefs were a western thing, and using tissues was something that was brought over from the East.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I remember when JList used to include a packet of tissues with orders. That was cool.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
thanks for answering my question so quickly! That question was always in the back of my mind.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Ever wonder why tissues were the consolation prize for losing contests or lotteries in both real life and in anime and games (like Shadow Hearts)? Well there you go. It's not surprising when you consider Japan's rather practical approach to good hygiene.

Though thinking back on it now, someone told me the tissue prizes were for wiping the tears you would inevitably shed from losing. Ouch. XD

Last edited by belvadeer on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
My father and brother never went out without a handkerchief or two in their pocket. I never did develop the habit, but I've got several that my father gave me that are still ready for duty some 40 years later.

Mark Gosdin
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Now you got me!
In my country is still normal to many people have handkerchiefs. And even to use them to clean the sweat.
I have one right now in my pocked.
For the record in public restrooms we have paper towels.
There was even the old tradition of gentlemen to pick up the handkerchiefs of the ladies if they drop it Smile
otagirl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
On both my trips to Tokyo there's always been air dryers in the restrooms...
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
otagirl wrote:

I was in Japan recently and I'd say for me it was 50/50 even in Tokyo. Some had nice Dyson style hand dryers or none at all, a few didn't even have soap. The best was the bathroom with no soap or dryers but had a place to hang your umbrella.

A couple years back my friend when to Japan and gave me one of those hand towels and I was like what am I going to do with this? Was totally one of the most useful things on the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Weird. I suppose I have watched other kinds of anime because I have never noticed that children with handkerchiefs was that common.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm more surprised that Americans usually don't carry handkerchiefs with them, rather than that Japanese always having one.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
No paper towels or hand dryers, no central heating.. I used to think of Japan as a technologically advanced country, but I'm beginning to question that notion Confused

But wait, does that mean they keep that wet hanky in their pocket all day? Ew.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
otagirl wrote:

I was in Japan recently and I'd say for me it was 50/50 even in Tokyo. Some had nice Dyson style hand dryers or none at all, a few didn't even have soap. The best was the bathroom with no soap or dryers but had a place to hang your umbrella.

In thinking back on my trip to Japan earlier this year, I guess there were one or two places I ran across that didn't have paper towels or hand dryers, but they were definitely the exceptions. (One of them may have been one of the temples?) Of course, we were almost exclusively at international-catering hotels and touristy spots, so that may have had something to do with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They're not for nose-blowing, however.

Good gravy, what would they use for that purpose then?

On a related note, albeit one that digresses somewhat, does anyone still use a kerchief, as opposed to its handheld variant? May I also ask if I am the only one who still strives to pronounce the letter 'd' in the word 'handkerchief'?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

There was even the old tradition of gentlemen to pick up the handkerchiefs of the ladies if they drop it Smile

And the ladies would drop them "accidentally" to give the gents the chance to do that. As Chiyo Yumehara did in an ep of the Saiki K. short, last season, I think? Minor spoiler: spoiler[ Being a psychic who wanted to avoid her, he zapped it back into her skirt's back pocket, which weirded her out a bit.]

Side question: do Japanese girls have back pockets in skirts for their hankys, or is that just an anime thing? Most American skirts don't have them, I think.

And yeah, I carry a calico hanky, 'cause I was raised in the rural US. I don't like white ones 'cause they stain if you check your cars oil and wipe the dipstick on them.
Sad

Kerchiefs, or silk bandanas - some horsemen ( horse folks? ) still wear them around their necks, mostly as decoration. Although they would work over the face for filtering out trail dust, if there was enough of that floating around. My grandfather wore them 40 plus years ago on his ranch, but I almost never saw them up on his face. The really nice ones still get worn on social occasions, like weddings, if people are "dressing the part" of being rural folks.

Last edited by Nom De Plume De Fanboy on Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Weird. I suppose I have watched other kinds of anime because I have never noticed that children with handkerchiefs was that common.

They're really only in school-based anime so if that's not your thing you probably won't ever see it. Or you may have just not noticed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4