• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Light Novel recommendations

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desertking22

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not even sure which board would've been appropriate but I was thinking more so on here. So other than Spice and Wolf what other LN would you recommend ? I am basically good with any genre. How are the Haruhi series compared to the anime?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
The Haruhi series is excellent. While the anime is fairly faithful to the novels, they contain rather more detail. They also extend several volumes beyond what is shown in the anime.

If you can find the volumes of "The Twelve Kingdoms" published by Tokyo Pop, they are excellent and are rather different from the anime which added the classmates to allow the heroine to say out loud what is interior monolog in the novel. While they did not publish all of the series they took it as far as the anime went and the volumes are fairly stand alone with the exception of the fourth which is a sequel to the first. You will want the paperback version of the fourth volume as the hardback version is missing several pages.

Almost all of the light novels published here are the basis for anime released here. If you liked the anime the novel is likely to be to your liking and will often provide details not shown in the anime version. The also usually extend beyond the end of the anime.
Corson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:23 am Reply with quote
My top picks at the moment are Overlord, Log horizon, and No game No life. All are quite solid and offer a nice range in their respective genres.

I'd go with Overlord first. The series is very strong and quite underrated I feel IMO.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Overlord is good if you're looking for something a bit different; the humor can be a bit raunchy, and you may not always like how the protagonist handles things, so bear that in mind.

The best LN i'm reading right now is The Faraway Paladin, published by J-Novel Club. It avoids almost every annoying isekai or light novel trope you can imagine, and they are genuinely great books. They remind me a lot of The Wizard Knight by Gene Wolf.

If you want more rec's i can give them, but most of the light novels i'm reading are fantasy or isekai, so bear that in mind Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1