• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Final Fantasy XV

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
I wanted to manually fly through space. That's all I wanted from No Man's Sky to do. That was the main reason I decided to buy a PS4, to fly through space. Instead I got load screens masked under warp drive facades. Not flying through space.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking about investing in a 3DS now that they're cheap to get Mario Maker, but stripped down like that...why?

I'll play Dead Rising while it's still the holidays.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Haven't played that much of it yet, but F15 is definitely a great game, its just not a very final fantasy game. It's draped in nostalgia, you can listen to older game soundtrack and the first thing you see when boot the game is "for final fantasy fan and new player alike" or something like that (there's also a paper with the signature of a bunch of people who made the game in the case disc, thanking people for there support), but its just play so completely alien to every other FF and even the mood is different. It's really all about roadtrip and just bro having fun, which I like but is pretty jarring.

Looking at the map the world is kinda disappointingly small (but far more varied than witcher 3 was) so I'm not sure if I'll get bored or run out of stuff to do first. But enemy variety even just in the first area is very strong (in fact just in the first area there's probably more monster than in the entirety of witcher 3).

Gameplay wise it could be a bit tighther but is overall pretty good. Because you only have to hold down button rather than press it, it feel a bit unresponsive since sometime you press a guard or dodge and nothing happen. Enemy attack tracking is also ridiculous so some attack follow you even after dodging with the enemy just floating toward you.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I wanted to manually fly through space. That's all I wanted from No Man's Sky to do. That was the main reason I decided to buy a PS4, to fly through space. Instead I got load screens masked under warp drive facades. Not flying through space.

Until they have an option where you can track and go back to previously visited systems I'm not interested in any updates. Also make the ship combat like star fox or ace combat how hard could that be. Instead of floating in space turning you ship only and shooting and refilling your shield constantly. Rolling Eyes
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Final Fantasy XV: Seems like some people are enjoying the game, some aren't, some are bitching about the English VAs, some are complaining about the introduction segment being "the way it is", and so on. FFXV's success will largely depend on what it brings to the player experience and if what was promised in all those interviews, videos and promotions is the real deal. I think another factor is how "Final Fantasy" it is in comparison to its predecessors. Regardless, I still don't have a PS4 so I won't be able to make any comments on it for the time being.

Dead Rising 4: While I'm not exactly qualified to talk about this series nor have I even played it, the reaction to this game is jumping around quite a bit, despite it hasn't even come out yet. A lot of angry reactions to it actually.

Super Mario Maker For Nintendo 3DS: It does boggle the mind how they think a stripped down version of the Wii U game is going to do as well as on the 3DS, but I'm guessing Nintendo is just covering their handheld bases since the 3DS userbase is vaster in comparison to the Wii U.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Haven't played that much of it yet, but F15 is definitely a great game, its just not a very final fantasy game.

What is a final fantasy game? I hear this so many times and yet the answers I get are never the same.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
meiam wrote:
Haven't played that much of it yet, but F15 is definitely a great game, its just not a very final fantasy game.

What is a final fantasy game? I hear this so many times and yet the answers I get are never the same.

Fans don't know what the hell they want from a FF game. This one looks pretty fun. Disappointing to hear that the story isn't the best. I expect something at least decent in a genre where the story is usually more important than the gameplay. This one seems to have a great combat system to back it up.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps the 3DS's technical limitations explain why the 3DS Edition of Super Mario Maker had no option for course-sharing on worldwide online or downloading courses from others. However, even with the 100 Mario Challenge, I don't see any reason besides portability to buy SMM For the 3DS when the WiiU version has plenty more options available...
partially

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Just a little thing to add though. You consistently describe the action in FFXV as real-time. There are actually two battle modes. Real-time and wait. Wait mode essentially adds a pause to the action whenever you stand still, but also allows you to really dig deeply into analysing vulnerabilities and all that. You have a bunch of extra options in wait mode that aren't available in real-time, which is a little odd. Particularly for a feature they don't really advertise strongly. I think it was briefly mentioned as an option in the tutorial once and that's it.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Just a little thing to add though. You consistently describe the action in FFXV as real-time. There are actually two battle modes. Real-time and wait. Wait mode essentially adds a pause to the action whenever you stand still, but also allows you to really dig deeply into analysing vulnerabilities and all that. You have a bunch of extra options in wait mode that aren't available in real-time, which is a little odd. Particularly for a feature they don't really advertise strongly. I think it was briefly mentioned as an option in the tutorial once and that's it.

I pretty much immediately switched to Wait Mode. I'm a lot happier with the added strategy it offers.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:

Turn-based combat, for one. The action combat in 15 is what's holding me back from picking it up. It just doesn't look very much like the Final Fantasy games that came before it. The world also doesn't look very much like Final Fantasy so much as it looks like a modern era city. All the product placement doesn't help with that either.

-Stuart Smith
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:

Turn based is a pretty obvious one, but a lot of little things. Like none of the sidequest I've tried yet really seem like the kind of side quest you get in FF, usually FF have few very long side quest, whereas FF15 is more about the open-world /mmo side quest of go there kill X of Y. And like I said the mood isn't really the same, it can't really be the same, open world need to have this sense that you have lots of free time and its okay to go and fish for an hour or just walk around for nothing, most FF usual jump straight into end of the world kind of stuff and the entire quest revolve around that. Overall it just feel more like kingdom heart then FF.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:

Turn-based combat, for one. The action combat in 15 is what's holding me back from picking it up. It just doesn't look very much like the Final Fantasy games that came before it.

But FFIV to IX didn't have Turn-based combat. They had ATB battle system and no they're not the same thing since one of the key feature of the ATB system was that characters did not take turns. FFX is the one where they approached Turned-based combat again.
Quote:
The world also doesn't look very much like Final Fantasy so much as it looks like a modern era city. All the product placement doesn't help with that either.

What do you mean? FFVI had an steampunk environment. FFVII's setting was similar to FFVI but had more advanced technology. FFVIII had a modern setting and aesthetically similar to FFXV.

meiam wrote:
Turn based is a pretty obvious one, but a lot of little things.

FFIV to IX didn't have Turn-based combat. Are you implying they don't feel like a Final Fantasy game?
Quote:
Like none of the sidequest I've tried yet really seem like the kind of side quest you get in FF, usually FF have few very long side quest, whereas FF15 is more about the open-world /mmo side quest of go there kill X of Y.

Final Fantasy 12 had sidequests like that too.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I would not get SMM 3DS at full price, Nintendo got lazy and didn't include online uploading of levels. RPG Maker Fes has game uploading and the online is just fine (It's odd that the player was downloaded almost 14x as much as the game sold though and counting and I hopefully I can get a Fes asset pack for my MV game). Get SMM when it's around $10-15.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
But FFIV to IX didn't have Turn-based combat. They had ATB battle system and no they're not the same thing since one of the key feature of the ATB system was that characters did not take turns. FFX is the one where they approached Turned-based combat again.

I suppose we have to agree to disagree since I consider ATB turn based. Whether I'm waiting for a gauge to fill or not doesn't matter to me.

Quote:
What do you mean? FFVI had an steampunk environment. FFVII's setting was similar to FFVI but had more advanced technology. FFVIII had a modern setting and aesthetically similar to FFXV.

There's a difference between having technology and simply being set in a modern setting. Midgar was a grungy industrial city, but it was also not exactly like anything that reflected real life. It was also only the beginning of the game and after you left you explored the world and went to various typical RPG towns and dungeons. Same with the Empire being technologically advanced in 6 but the rest of the world is standard stuff. There's a difference between fantasy technology like flying school buildings, airships, gun arms, piloted magitek armor, and realistic cars and gas stations that take American Express.

And this is a personal preference, but part of the reason I dislike Star Ocean 5 was it tried to appeal to the west by using those walk-and-talk type of scenes that AAA western games use instead of actual cutscenes, and the videos I've seen of FFXV it does a lot of the same where a lot of the exposition dialogue is done when you're running around or driving a boat and cutscenes are more rare.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3