• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Natsume Yūjin-Chō Go

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
mierin wrote:
Now I'm hoping they could animate that special manga chapter involving Touko and Shigeru... (or is it wishful thinking?)

If you're thinking of the chapter I'm thinking of, I'm hoping they'll use it as a season ender myself.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
mierin wrote:
Now I'm hoping they could animate that special manga chapter involving Touko and Shigeru... (or is it wishful thinking?)

If you're thinking of the chapter I'm thinking of, I'm hoping they'll use it as a season ender myself.

Not the season finale but it looks like you'll be getting your wish next week. =D
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

"I apologize for my kindness to you."

I feel like I've been hit by a truck and run over by the ambulance...
chaccide

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that one hurt, but in the very best of ways that only Natsume episodes can.

Next week is one of my favorite chapters that I coincidentally re-read this morning! I never expected them to animate it and I'm really excited to see it. I find that the anime takes excellent stories and gently tweaks them to be a tiny bit better.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
"He even sits in the exact same seat in his classroom that Natsume does today."

Ever notice how most school-age anime protagonists tend to sit on the left side of the classroom, usually towards the back and near or even beside the window?
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Cultural note:

Episode 9's Shuon-sama isn't actually a god. As his six-ringed kakkharaindicates, he's a bodhisattva. The presence of this Mayahana Buddhist figure places Natsume's world fully within the syncretic Japanese religious tradition.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
Not the season finale but it looks like you'll be getting your wish next week. =D

Yeah, I just watched episode 9 and saw it as the next episode preview.

I had hoped they'd use it as a season ender, but eh... I'm still happy they included it. It would've been weird to leave it out, though, given how important Natsume's relationship with Touko and Shigure is, and this particular story marked its beginning as well as the time before another story arc from an earlier season.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the top ones I wanted to see animated. But there is one more I am hoping for before the end.,
Jex2193

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one emotionally distraught that the last 2 episodes aren't being aired on tv?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
^ I would be if I lived in Japan. I assume that won't impact the releases here? Why isn't it being aired?

Episode 10

That was great. Loved the thread with the crow. I wonder if there's a different way of translating what Touko says than "I'm no good." That sounds like she's putting herself down, but I think she just means it more like a self-teasing "I'm so bad," or "I'm so silly."

I have a feeling Touko and Shigeru have been on to Natsume for a long time, even if they don't show it. I mean, how could Shigeru not know something was up after that episode where Natsume exploded his room! And they knew the rumors of him "saying weird things and scaring people," so when they see evidence of that they choose to trust him and believe him. They've just always been very careful not to press him on things he doesn't want to talk about, and patiently waiting for him to feel comfortable telling them.

Maybe the series will end with him as an adult on his own, and he finally confesses and they'll admit they always knew. Smile Hope that's a long ways away though...

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
chaccide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
^ Yes this. I got the feeling that Touko understood what he was hiding with the crow scene. Some day it will come up for some reason, and they won't be the least bit surprised because they'd figured it out, and Natsume will finally understand that he has a family that truly accepts him as he is.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I agree that this episode handled the "they knew all along" reveal so beautifully. In that one moment I was in Touko's shoes thinking, "Huh, the crow found its pair and its white? Where? Show me!" Then I realized Natsume was seeing something Touko can't, something we can't. Just amazing.

And just to add, this is literally the first time an anime (or any show in general) made me feel and tear up for a crow. Crying or Very sad
Jex2193

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^ I would be if I lived in Japan. I assume that won't impact the releases here? Why isn't it being aired?

Are you sure? I mean there have been a few shows that CR has waited until the official release to put them up. One that comes to mind that aired recently is "Sakamoto Desu Ga?". Because of the earthquake back in April, it was delayed by a week and the 13th episode wasn't released until late October and was branded as an OVA.

The reason for Natsume: I don't know, but I think part of it was their fault for airing the OVA, but that doesn't make sense as to why they're knocking out two episodes when it seems there're still two weeks left of the year. Unless they're doing something else on the 27th?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
Nope, not sure. Didn't even know about it until your post. Not going to worry about something I can't affect though, at least not until I get some facts. Smile
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That was great. Loved the thread with the crow. I wonder if there's a different way of translating what Touko says than "I'm no good." That sounds like she's putting herself down, but I think she just means it more like a self-teasing "I'm so bad," or "I'm so silly."

If it's the scene that I'm thinking about then likely Touko was just saying that it's not good of her to think like that, not that she's saying she herself is no good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4