• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - What's "Teekyu" Anyway?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Great article, I didn't think I would ever read an such an extensive and in-depths article about a 2-minute short.

I kinda like Teekyuu. It's too fast to get all the jokes, but that's what makes it special. It's exhausting indeed to watch more than a couple of episodes. I've grown somewhat fond of it because it's been around for so long, and I'll continue to watch all the future seasons, I guess. I mean, it's two minutes per episode, anyway.

Recommendations for people who like Teekyuu and are looking for something similar: Magical Somera-chan, Ai Mai Mi!, Plastic Nee-san. Those are slower, though, but have the same kind of randomness.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Thanks! It's always deeply gratifying to find people appreciating something that makes no compromises in its quest to be purely itself. Love it or hate it, Teekyū simply Is. (For my part, I almost gave up on the show before the end of the first episode... and then Kanae started sinking into the court, my will broke, and I've been a rabid fan ever since.)

I'd speak in defense of Takamiya Nasuno Desu! as a worthy spin-off—I really liked the way it took the (seemingly) least interesting of the main quartet and demonstrated that she could run an equally hilarious show all on her own. I keep on hoping her accipitrine chauffeur (or at least her absurd ribbon) will return in the main series... and that the joke about Kanae getting her own spin-off someday becomes more than a joke!
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd say Teekyu's spinoffs are less Frasier & more Joey.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I'd say anyone who checked out Three Fabulous Weeks of Chiller Ani-Wednesdays in the summer of last year remembers the Devil May Cry anime.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Haha Laughing Whenever I'm running low on anime to watch, sooner or later one of Mike's columns (and the comments on them) make me add a bunch more. That's Teekyuu! and Ai Mai Mi! this time. Thanks Smile
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode when it originally aired but I didn't start following it until the fourth season. Mike has its humor pegged correctly as hyper speed manzai. It having a joke a second pace is only barely an exaggeration. It's not for everyone and not every joke lands but it is what it is. I had long joked that they could double the length of the show by having them talk at normal speed, which they more or less did Shocked with Usakame, which I think wasn't quite as good as the original as a result, but a worthy spinoff nonetheless as with Nasuno's.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I met ROOTS in person back in his niconico Jikkyo Douga days, when he just started making comics and had his own self-animated show on niconico called "Surumeika".

He had a booth at Comiket (still does) and I bought his hand made DVDs of his shows... I told him I would recommend him to Crunchyroll (who I was freelancing for at the time) as an up and coming creator they should do something with.

And lo! Years later, Crunchyroll is investing in future seasons of Teekyuu! I take full credit for it (actually had nothing to do with it, but still).
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Teekyuu's great, and even if a joke falls flat you know there's going to be another along in a few nanoseconds.
You also have to give it credit for being the only anime to attempt the full name of a certain town in Wales.

gedata

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Teekyu is the 1st anime I've seen to actually get 8 seperate seasons, even if combined they still don't make for a single cour production's overall length.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Not a lot of people really gave a shit about Teekyuu and it isn't talked about a lot out there either or received much promotion, but it is a masterpiece in its own right. Thanks for the great article that has the potential to garner more watcher for Teekyuu.
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:53 am Reply with quote
Teekyuu is the show I give to people who want to get better at reading subs. Teekyuu makes you a faster sub reader via a sink or swim trial by fire method. Laughing
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:55 am Reply with quote
Teekyuu is actually really beautiful and soulful. It's one of the purest anime I've had the fortune to know.

If you haven't yet listened to the full version of season 5's opening theme, "Qunka!", you absolutely owe it to yourself to. It's wonderful in a way that you just can't grasp by listening to the TV size version. The second verse has Kana Hanazawa singing a recipe for fried panties at lightning speed.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:44 am Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
Teekyuu is the show I give to people who want to get better at reading subs. Teekyuu makes you a faster sub reader via a sink or swim trial by fire method. Laughing

In some ways, Teekyuu reflects the social advances and setbacks that its audience has experienced in recent times. It is a show that rewards exceptional literacy but forgives the paucity of free time that working arrangements can often impose, stunning the viewer with enough riotous revelry to fill a standard 24-minute episode without demanding more than a mere two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:09 am Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:

Excel Saga was my speed-reading test. About a year prior to the show getting licensed by ADV, one of our high school anime club members procured some kind of DVD set with Hong Kong subs. - And not good ones. It's pretty good training to read subs with totally inconsistent names (Excel was also Xioaliu and Xiao sometimes), poor grammar, and outright incorrect words going by at a mile a minute. Example quote from someone who noticed that it's raining in an episode: "It's folding outside."

I'd say Teekyu is a pretty good contender in that regard.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Anyone looking at the show listings will have seen the number of Shorts every year is climbing rapidly.
We're in a Teekyu age.
The Citizen Kane of Anime Shorts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2