• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
That's a bit disappointing to hear them push back the Metroid elements of the new Shankar. Does sound like makes up for it with them doubling down on the action-platforming. With regards to the Shenmue 3 statements,they clarified that it was entering the final stages of pre-production,so it's still over a year away.
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Just FYI, "Lost Odyssey" is also free on 360 for the rest of the month, in case anyone reading doesn't have an XB1.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo Shows More About the Switch:

Quote:
Miyamoto's moment playing the Mario theme with the Roots is probably the bigger thing out of all of this

Boy I'll say. A shame it couldn't have been longer, but it was a treat to hear.

XBox Players Get a JRPG Holiday Gift: Blue Dragon was great fun, but I sadly never got to play Lost Odyssey. I heard a lot of good things about it, particularly its music, but it was one of the few games that I did not manage to pick up back when the 360 was trying to cash in on the JRPG market.

Shenmue III is in the "Final Stage" of Development: I don't think Shenmue fans can stand the wait much longer. Ryo's appearance in Project X Zone 2 wasn't enough to sate anyone. Shenmue III's release will be a big deal once it happens.

Wild Guns Reloaded: I love the fact Bullet is a freaking Dachshund who can shoot stuff up with a mobile bit unit and hang on to said unit to fly around. Now that's creative character design! :D

Last edited by belvadeer on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
That's a bit disappointing to hear them push back the Metroid elements of the new Shankar. Does sound like makes up for it with them doubling down on the action-platformin.

I'm more disappointed about the art. It looks like cheap flash. I don't know why they got rid of the Japanese artist from Pirate's Curse.
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Shantae HYYYYYYPPPUUUUU!!!!! Got something to look forward to after finals!!! Anime hyper
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
I'm more disappointed about the art. It looks like cheap flash. I don't know why they got rid of the Japanese artist from Pirate's Curse.

I have to agree...The colors of the background, platforms, and particularly the enemies look flat without any shading applied.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I feel like that comment on Lost Odyssey was a dig. I personally think its one of the better JRPGs on the ps3/xbox 360 generation, and it was a great game. The story was really good , and it gave people the classic turn based gameplay that a lot of jrpgs have gone away from. Just my two cents on what seems a dismissive comment.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
I don't know why they got rid of the Japanese artist from Pirate's Curse.

Probably because hand-drawn, HD animated sprite work is very expensive and time-consuming. It's much, much cheaper to machine-animate vector art.

I certainly wouldn't call Shantae: HGH "cheap," though. It looks fantastic in motion, easily beating out pretty much every other game I've seen use that particular style of animation. It's funny to think that the Shantae Kickstarter made about a fifth of what Mighty No. 9 did, and it's a much better game in practically every regard. It's a bit on the easy side, but somebody who wants a challenge could easily intentionally go for a "no upgrades" run that would probably be fairly difficult.
gsilverfish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Approximately how many hours is a "handful?" Smile

One of the things I really liked about Pirates' Curse was that the powers you gain were special moves that could be activated instantaneously. I know turning into animals is kind of Shantae's thing but that honestly made a really big difference for me.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I strongly hope that Shantae: Half-Genie Hero will have a lot of voice actors in its voice cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1