• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Voice Actors Get Re-Cast In Sequels and Reboots?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of miracles, it's crazy that Tōru Furuya sounds exactly the same as Amuro Ray in Gundam the Origin IV, just released, as he did back in the 1979 original. Shūichi Ikeda sounds much more deep voiced and epic, but Amuro is the same. They recast everyone else though.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Then you've got wild cases where some of the VAs return and have literally done no other voice work in years (such as the case with a couple of the dub actresses for Digimon returning for the recent movie after all that time).

Bryan Cranston working in dub anime again...yeah that would be something, but won't likely happen now.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Then there's the Scott Freeman/Illyich Guardiola reason for a recast...
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Just as a note, Miyamura has gotten divorced and has been coming to Japan a lot more recently. She's said she won't move to Japan permanently though.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
For what i understand from the article and the knowledge i have the big difference between a re-cast in the original cast and the dub cast is the difference between what is a voice actor in Japan and US.

In Japan voice actors are idols, some of the are even well know outside the anime fandom, with a very big pool of talent and were a re-cast happens mostly from personal matters as health matters, the Seiyū retired from voice acting, been moving to a different career or marriage.

Even when a different studio take over the project most, if not all talent are the same. Looking at Fate franchise.

In the US there a small pool of talent were voice acting is seen more as a part time job until a better deal appear. There are changes in the voices in a many of the anime franchises.
Not many voice actors stick around for much time.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

Even when a different studio take over the project most, if not all talent are the same. Looking at Fate franchise.

Actually, that's more of an exception. Usually in remakes either all or most voice actors are replaced. Fate doesn't count, since there has been a voiced version of VN at this point (and even with Type-Moon you have an example of Tsukihime - all anime voice actors were replaced in Melty Blood and Carnival Phantasm). If you'll look at the other remakes: Hunter x Hunter - all voice actors replaced, JoJo - all voice actors replaced, Arslan Senki - all voice actors replaced, Ushio to Tora - all voice actors replaced. Sailor Moon Crystal - all voice actors replaced with exception of Usagi, FMA - all voice actors replaced with exception of Elrik brothers and few other characters, Berserk - all voice actors replaced, Dr. Slump - all voice actors replaced. Saint Seiya: Legend of the Sanctuary movie - all voice actors replaced. When Legend of the Galactic Heroes remake will be released, 99% that all voice actors will be replaced.
Although Hellsing proudly stands there with most of it's voice actors returning for the remake.

Last edited by KutovoiAnton on Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
Saint Seiya: Legend of the Sanctuary movie - all voice actors replaced.

That was a weird situation, you would think that they would keep the Hades Inferno/Elysion cast for that after they had done voice work for a video game around that time (and returned again for another game afterwards) but nope, didn't happen.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Then there's the case of the source material aging them up so as keeping the same seiyuu wouldn't make sense like with the upcoming Cardcaptor Sakura anime. It would be very weird to have Syaoran sound the same as he was in elementary.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
And then there's D. Gray-man. No one is safe except for Kaoru Wada.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly amazed at how much of the original Dragon Ball cast is still working on that series after 30 years. I mean, Nozawa is 80 years old now.
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
And my question is "what's wrong with that?"
It is nice that they recast people for sequels and reboots.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Is it not the exception for recasts, rather than the norm?
Punpun's ghost

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Sigh... I missed Kari Wahlgren when she failed to show for Fam, even though it was merely a bit part... Reckon I'll miss her even more if the new series of FLCL reaches our shores. Her Haruko was a matter of unhinged genius, I thought better than the original. Too busy doing Kung Fu Panda these days I guess.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Is it not the exception for recasts, rather than the norm?

For immediate sequels yes, the norm is to have all the same seiyuu back barring unforeseen circumstances. But for sequels or reboots that are years, even decades apart like Sailor Moon Crystal, D.GrayMan Hallow, the new Berserk or most recent Saint Seiya content it's way rarer to have the original actors reprise their roles, and cases like Kotono Mitsuishi and Tohru Furuya (both for Sailor Moon and Saint Seiya!) coming back are exceptions.

While having new blood is always a good thing, I must say I was severely disappointed by the full recast in DGM. Takahiro Sakurai was a unique Kanda ):
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
KutovoiAnton wrote:
Saint Seiya: Legend of the Sanctuary movie - all voice actors replaced.

That was a weird situation, you would think that they would keep the Hades Inferno/Elysion cast for that after they had done voice work for a video game around that time (and returned again for another game afterwards) but nope, didn't happen.

I don't think it was weird at all. Legend of Sanctuary wasn't your regular Saint Seiya movie, like the 80s films or Heaven Chapter. It was an Anniversary product with a radically altered look & depiction of Saint Seiya, so it only made sense that the characters would be given brand new voice actors. Since it was already so different in the first place, why not go all the way?

It's not traditional, sure, but it's not exactly unprecedented. Look how many times the Fist of the North Star cast has changed since the new millennium.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4