• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The 2016 Year In Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macron One

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Impressive shelves, especially the Magic Knight Rayearth collection!
I notice he has the MKR edition of the Game Gear, as well as all 7 Rayearth video games, including the nowadays very pricey U.S. release of the Sega Saturn game and the obscure Sega Pico game. Is the item at the very back a genuine framed cel or a reproduction, i wonder? Outstanding piece if original...
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Boy, ten years seems like a lifetime. Amazing shelves, Michael. You've done a lot to be proud of, and made a potential convert. Rayearth is one of the few CLAMP properties I haven't seen, but I'll definitely check out that blu-ray release after such a strong recommendation. I also share a love for Tokyo Babylon, one of my first manga purchases, and cheers for knowing your trivia!

Merry Christmas, everyone! Here's to another year of Shelf Life that only gets better with age!
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Man, times sure fly fast for Shelf Life, and a decade goes by for it, also, nice on the Rayearth collection, it suits it well.

Here's to another decade (or so) of Shelf Life! Happy Holidays!
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Man, times sure fly fast for Shelf Life, and a decade goes by for it, also, nice on the Rayearth collection, it suits it well.

Here's to another decade (or so) of Shelf Life! Happy Holidays!

i for one definitely dont have the money to do that entire collection. especially now that everything is more or less online now.

Quote:
Just stay away from the English dub, which is apparently a bit of a disaster.

uh ,the only reason why this is the case cause in all of their "wisdom" right stuff decides to become cheap and use the animax asia english dub version which always have a reputation to have the worst english dubs right on par with 4kids and that is saying a lot.

besides, there are a lot of other things than the half gen dub that is wrong with both build fighters and build fighters try. lets face it. if this series didn't have the gundam title on it, there would be no one at all that would give a damn about this series one bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Always nice to see someone else with cels or other production/original artwork here on the boards. The back image looks like a framed poster, though. I have yet to see any Rayearth cel hankens for sale after 10+ years of sifting through Mandarake BWAs. My guess is that, like Madhouse, TMS vaults that stuff and will only open in should it need some quick capital.

Congrats on 10 years of this column. It is one of my more favorite current columns, largely because I'm a nosy person who likes looking at everyone's stuff Very Happy

I should probably contribute to the shelf collection someday, but my 'shelves' are just Itoya Profolios & B4 binders, chock full of cels and sketches from the mangaka and character designers themselves...
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This third season of the Sengoku Basara franchise is apparently an alternate retelling of earlier entries, though I don't know the series well enough to say that with complete confidence. In any case, you'll find it streaming on Funimation.

Specifically it is a alternative retelling of The Last Party movie which focuses on the battle of Sekigahara, though Judge End covers some more stuff before the events of the movie. When I read that, I thought Judge End covered further than that historically, but I was thinking of the similar Samurai Warriors (Sengoku Musou).
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:25 am Reply with quote
Great collection, Michael. I'm also looking forward to the U.S. Blu-ray release of Magic Knight Rayearth.
LantisEscudo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
Impressive shelves, especially the Magic Knight Rayearth collection!
I notice he has the MKR edition of the Game Gear, as well as all 7 Rayearth video games, including the nowadays very pricey U.S. release of the Sega Saturn game and the obscure Sega Pico game. Is the item at the very back a genuine framed cel or a reproduction, i wonder? Outstanding piece if original...

I actually have two of the US release of the Saturn game. Smile One is just the disc, though (I have the Hikaru and Fuu versions, every once in a while I look around for an Umi one). The item in the back is a promo poster for one of the home video releases; I'm not certain which one, though. The two items in the back-bordered frames are original cels, the full face shot is an A, the longer shot is a B.

I have a list of items I still want to track down, topped by the script books for season 2, but I have a budget I try to keep to, so I only go hunting a few times a year.
Macron One

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I actually have two of the US release of the Saturn game. Smile One is just the disc, though (I have the Hikaru and Fuu versions, every once in a while I look around for an Umi one).

My copy of the game has the Umi disc art. Not quite hardcore enough to go hunting for the other 2 versions personally. I do have the OST CD for the game however.

Quote:
The item in the back is a promo poster for one of the home video releases; I'm not certain which one, though.

It's a beautiful display item regardless. 90's CLAMP designs were sometimes tricky to do justice to in TV anime adaptations, but the promotional art generally looks fantastic.

Quote:
The two items in the back-bordered frames are original cels, the full face shot is an A, the longer shot is a B.

Nice Hikaru cels! My cel collection has a few MKR pieces also, with this OP1 cel being my favourite.

Quote:
I have a list of items I still want to track down, topped by the script books for season 2, but I have a budget I try to keep to, so I only go hunting a few times a year.

The renewed merchandising blitz for Cardcaptor Sakura has prevented me from picking up much stuff from other anime franchises, but i do expect to get the upcoming release of the Hikaru figma (and have pre-ordered the MKR BD set). Hope you continue to expand your collection. It would be cool to see what it'll look like in another 10 years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1