• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Will old anime ever be shown on streaming sites?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Risami

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I am wondering if any streaming sites will ever obtain most old titles in japanese with english sub format like tokyo mew mew, or full moon wo sagashite, kamikaze kaitou jeanne, and all the precure series and kirarin revolution. I know most look down upon some magical genre shows but I kind of miss these and wish to watch them
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:23 pm Reply with quote
The original Pretty Cure is on Crunchy, FYI.
Risami

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
well i was hoping for more though i'm sure there is alot i think
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Renamed your thread title for clarity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I hope that would certainly be the case.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote
I doubt that makes sense from a marketing perspective. Also there are issues about licensing I suspect. Sometimes an older series like Mononoke appears on Crunchyroll, but that was a result of the decision by Cinedigm to license the show and sell DVDs years after it was released.

If you follow other sites like MAL with a much younger audience than here at ANN, you'll see immediately that there is little interest in older shows. It often seems like anything before 2010 is considered "old" by the standards of the contemporary audience. I constantly see people say that they don't like the art in so-called "older" shows when I see little or no difference between them and what's released today.
Risami

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
that sucks cause shugo chara is on crunchyroll but sometimes I don't know how long these shows will be on crunchyroll.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

If you follow other sites like MAL with a much younger audience than here at ANN, you'll see immediately that there is little interest in older shows. It often seems like anything before 2010 is considered "old" by the standards of the contemporary audience. I constantly see people say that they don't like the art in so-called "older" shows when I see little or no difference between them and what's released today.

Ehhh spoiled brats are spoiled by too much HD and bluray now. :p

Mal is so cancerous. Anime hyper Their loss.

Chiibi's mindset: it ain't "old" unless it's 90s and below. And I'll still watch it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi

I don't follow MAL's forums or anything, but I don't watch old anime. I think it's the art style and washed out colours that make it difficult for me to watch older shows. I try to watch them sometimes, but I just can't get over the older look. I watch anime for entertainment purposes so I don't feel like forcing myself to watch something I really don't want to. I've only been watching anime since about late 2006 or something so yeah HD era has probably spoiled me. Sorry for possibly giving you cancer.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Sorry for possibly giving you cancer.

Oh no no, Cam0, I always thought you were cool, honest!! And I do get it because I don't like most anime from 70s or 80s. Because I "also don't like that look". 90s anime are what guided me into it so I could never dislike 90s anime. lol It was a very big part of my adolescence.

MAL is cancerous moreso because a large percentage of the members are big buttholes and rude to.....everyone. They are jerks for how they act, not what they watch (or don't watch)

But you aren't like that.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't seriously offended, but thanks for that reaction. Laughing

I've seen some 90s anime. DBZ was my first anime and I also liked Rurouni Kenshin (at least back when I watched it some years ago). I actually wish that I could get into older anime more, but I never find the motivation to watch something old. It's not that long ago when I watched Great Teacher Onizuka on Crunchyroll and I liked it. Granted, GTO isn't that old, but it's... relatively old? So I guess streaming sites do sometimes obtain a bit older anime. I think Cowboy Bebop was added recently to Crunchyroll as well (probably thanks to the thing with Funi and CR working together).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I wasn't seriously offended, but thanks for that reaction. Laughing

WHA....

YOU!!!

YOU'RE MEAN!!

You really had me panicking there.... D:<

I think my biggest motivation for watching older anime is to see how it holds up now. (And there are still many 90s magical girl shows for me to check out)
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:06 pm Reply with quote
OVAs from the 80s and 90s have better animation than most current series. I think it's just stupid to not watch "old" stuff: it's just a production vintage and in general is bears no effect in the overall quality. I think it'd inconsistent of anime fans with their open mindedness to foreign visual culture to be close minded about old stuff.

I just finished reading a Manga from 1968-1973 by the way, a true masterpiece of graphic fiction.

The only advantage new stuff (2005 onwards) has over old stuff is perhaps cooler character designs and more sleek art.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Seems that someone on Crunchyroll may have been listening! Giant Gorg is now available on that site. For those of you that are unaware, Giant Gorg is a 1984 mecha show directed by Gundam character designer, Yasuhiko Yoshikazu, who also did the character designs for the show.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:20 am Reply with quote
Full Moon was on Hulu for awhile, until Viz's license expired. And unfortunately, most Magical Girl shows don't even get a whole lot of attention in the download scene, even when they do get subbed.

Most streaming sites focus on newer/currently-airing titles because that's what captures most fans' attention -- they want to stay current with discussions, and possibly avoid accidental spoilers if they go browsing various general-purpose anime sites. For legal streaming sites, old anime require comparable resources to acquire, translate, and stream as newer anime do, but they get fewer views and thus don't provide as much revenue. The only non-current shows that seem to make an impact on CR are reasonably-popular semi-recent titles like FMA '09 and Index/Railgun, older nostalgia titles like Digimon/Yu-Gi-Oh, or (if they were to get them) other perennial classic "evergreen" titles like Cowboy Bebop. As others have pointed out, many newer anime fans prefer not to watch shows that're 4:3 and/or not available in HD -- and pretty much any not-so-popular older anime is going to fall into one or both of those categories.

Acquiring licenses for older titles can actually be much harder, since they were created in a time long before Internet streaming was a thing, and the ownership of international rights can be hard to pin down due to companies shutting down, changing names, getting bought out, etc. over the years.

So in essence, older anime = more work/cost to obtain, but less earning for legal streaming sites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1