• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
since this show is barely worth talking about (unless oemone else brings something to the table), let's talk about futakoi instead, it's a compeltely forgetable harem, except that this one is actually below average, and just like ninomiya kun, there is somethign about the premise that makes you think it will be interesting at first (I mean, the sucubus thing sounded interesting when I read the review, lilim kiss amde decent use of that), in futakois' case , that all the girls are twins; but like ninomiya it's not used for anything that adds to the product.
but well, at least in futakoi's case we got futakoi alternative by ufo table which is the only reason I still rememebr that crappy twins harem show.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Those who can, please consider Gundam 0080. There is one little scene through which it attains its reputation for being more emotionally substantial than anything else in its timeline.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
What interests me about Ninomiya-kun isn't just this review or the above average positive ratings on its encyclopedia page but the fact that it was rated positively by almost a thousand people.

Oh and it was created by the guy who did Oniai and I'm already familiar about the critical dissonance involved with that one. Which was also released sub only by Funimation.

That's the thing about harems; Their point isn't originality but the fact they exist in the first place. It's a low bar, I know..

Quote:
We still get that around a dozen times a season, so there's no reason to go all the way back to 2007 for it.

Just not that low, unfortunately. They've mostly been supplanted in part by the "100% girls sharing an activity" series and the "LN hero with lots of girls but not really a harem because let's be honest, there's just the one main girl, one secondary and lots of false leads" series; I know, I've looked. The days of Happy Lesson, Hanaukyo Maid Team la Verite and, yes, Shuffle! are behind us.

Sure, there's Tenchi but there's always Tenchi, isn't there?

I can't say if that makes sense or not...
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
What interests me about Ninomiya-kun isn't just this review or the above average positive ratings on its encyclopedia page but the fact that it was rated positively by almost a thousand people.
o 2007 for it.

I suspect it was probably alright for its time, and people who've seen it rated it then. Whether those people would rate it the same if they watched it today is an interesting question.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
At least it gave us Furefurepponpon!

As for people rating it good, I gave it exactly a "Good" (or a 7/10" which is what I give "Average" shows, personally. Anything less I drop completely. I wanted to drop it but the voice cast was top notch and that was enough to keep me going through the otherwise dullness. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless it was a choice between that and a show like Panty and Stocking which I absolute hate.

Last edited by Kougeru on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Man, I remember when this show was covered by an issue of the US Newtype magazine, right alongside Spice and Wolf. This was back when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows had been released.

Really gotta wonder who this is aimed at. Maybe it was part of a package deal?
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I bought Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun because I had downloaded it years ago and always want to support a show I initially downloaded. No, it is not a great show. But even upon a second viewing I found it to be enjoyable enough, so I would rate this as a rental. This is also one of those shows where I found myself rooting for the non-lead girl to get the guy.
chronos02

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I remember the series very well, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, it's not great, yup, but it's very entertaining (at least to me, and that's what's important, heh). What I remember most clearly though is the Solid Snake cameo during the classic "let's infiltrate the women's rooms", gods, I laughed hard there.

I'd even rewatch it now, if it weren't for Fate/GO I'd rewatch so many past anime... but it takes all my time!

If you'll excuse me, I'll go farm more exp cards... (since I couldn't get dat Musashi T-T)
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
It also suffers from the fact it was an adaptation of a longer light novel series(10 volumes and 7 side volumes) so we never get the whole story(while most light novel adaptations do indeed suffer from this, keep in mind this one was done shortly after the end of the novel itself).
Admittedly, even with that taken into account, it wasn't exactly best in its genre...
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Don't you just hate Shelf Lifes where the release that's reviewed is an obvious perishable?

Because I do.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Don't you just hate Shelf Lifes where the release that's reviewed is an obvious perishable?

It's easier to learn to critique shows "properly" if you practice on shows that are shitty and obviously shitty. Trying to analyse exactly what's wrong with... Rolling Girls, say, is hard if you haven't done that sort of work before.

And obviously if you want to do something it helps if you watch someone else do it. Reviews of obvious shit are good for that.
gwdone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Freaking AWESOME collection!!! I wish my collection were dust free. I've always considered the ceiling for many of my wall scrolls, but can't figure out how to not have the sagging effect... Anyway, I'm saluting your collection as we speak!!!!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:26 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
since this show is barely worth talking about (unless oemone else brings something to the table), let's talk about futakoi instead... but well, at least in futakoi's case we got futakoi alternative by ufo table which is the only reason I still rememebr that crappy twins harem show.

Can we talk about Futakoi Alternative instead? Where ufotable took an extremely bland visual novel and just decided to go balls-to-the-wall insane (at least for the first half of the series) in terms of pace, circumstances, parodies, etc, It's such a shame that we never got the actual good original series from ufotable with Manabi Straight and Futakoi Alternative yet the much inferior Coyote Ragtime Show got licensed.

Speaking of good shows not getting licensed, the first thing that came to my mind when I read the tagline for this week's Shelf Life article was Minami-ke's Sensei & Ninomiya-kun. Completely forgot about this awful light novel harem schlock.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:
since this show is barely worth talking about (unless oemone else brings something to the table), let's talk about futakoi instead... but well, at least in futakoi's case we got futakoi alternative by ufo table which is the only reason I still rememebr that crappy twins harem show.

Can we talk about Futakoi Alternative instead? Where ufotable took an extremely bland visual novel and just decided to go balls-to-the-wall insane (at least for the first half of the series) in terms of pace, circumstances, parodies, etc, It's such a shame that we never got the actual good original series from ufotable with Manabi Straight and Futakoi Alternative yet the much inferior Coyote Ragtime Show got licensed.

Speaking of good shows not getting licensed, the first thing that came to my mind when I read the tagline for this week's Shelf Life article was Minami-ke's Sensei & Ninomiya-kun. Completely forgot about this awful light novel harem schlock.

ah futakoi alternative is great it did the uvluv alternative thing of taking a bland generic hare and turning it on it's head witha 3 eyars time skip and a completely different main character instead; Ia sk people to watch futakoi then alternative, ebcause, even if futakoi is as perishable as it gets, the fact that futakoi alternative uses the same characters makes futakoi an addition to the franchise.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

If that was all Shelf Life ever did, then yeah, it might've been so. But they're nice to have every once in a while, just to cover the whole spectrum of quality of stuff that gets released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2