• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Tezuka Manga for Grown-Ups

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Chained Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
Re: "One of you is going to have to explain "CHEESE ROLLING" in the comment section." which you mentioned in the article.

This is a one-off event that occurs in near Gloucester, England. In it, some Double Gloucester cheese is rolled down an incredibly steep hill, and everyone at the top of the hill starts chasing after it. The first one to grab the cheese is the winner. The event is famous because there are always loads of injuries every year, because the hill is so steep it is very easy to trip over and fall all the way down, and it is very hard to stop yourself because you've gained so much momentum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper%27s_Hill_Cheese-Rolling_and_Wake
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, the pure Ayako sees something she shouldn't, and the family (who all speak in an accent associated with poor education) is kept in a basement for something like 20 years.

The whole family or just Ayako? oO

These all sound very interesting (I think MW and Phoenix are the only ones I already knew of), but since manga is hard for me to read, I probably won't be able to follow up on any of them.
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I love Phoenix, but I do wish it was easier getting the volumes.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Man, someone should've voted for Rocket League anime, that could be awesome and completely over the top at all times! It could totally be sort of a sport I guess. (I, naturally, failed to see the poll last week, or I totally would've thought of that)

As for Tezuka, yeah, I love him. Even his terrible early works, I still have them. I actually have at least one version of every Tezuka manga that has a physical print in English, I have a whole shelf that is just Tezuka and I have run out of room, sadly. And of course, I just did the recent Kickstarter for four more of them, how could I not? Honestly, I think a lot of his early shonen works are just god awful (looking at you, Lost World), just compare the Astro Boy made earlier to any chapter made later and you can see that the earlier ones just aren't as good.

My personal favorite of his seinen manga, and not mentioned in the article, is Ode to Kirihito, which mixes a bit more adventure into the mix than some of his other seinen (as Kirihito does have to find his way back to Japan). That said, it still has his former best friend rape his former fiancé, so that definitely happens.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
With the exception of Phoenix (need to get the digital volumes due to how out of print it is) and The Crater (will be getting that in a few months thanks to Kickstarter), I've read all of the listed series, and they're all well written works. Tezuka's transition away from Shonen, Shojo, etc to full on works for an adult audience was an interesting one, though some of it was not in a particularly happy time for the man (his animation company going under, his more youth-oriented work starting to go unappreciated), and it's reflected in some of his mature works (especially MW, that really is the Anti-Tezuka book...yeesh).

I've read most of what's available in English (behind on a few volumes, and got a lot of Astro Boy to go), and I definitely recommend most of his work. For his flaws, the man knows how to write to a wide variety of audiences (I'm partial to Black Jack myself, the man put his knowledge of medicine to good use in the manga, though it is 30-40 years old by now, so don't expect cutting edge stuff).
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
...and The Crater (will be getting that in a few months thanks to Kickstarter),

The second official Kickstarter. The first one was a disaster and worth one obligatory comment just to commemorate its lack of resolution.

I will be picking up Digital Manga's release as well. I LOVE Black Jack too, and The Book of Human Insects sounds interesting...
Mew_Snoflak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I think they did this on the amazing race a few years back. It was pretty funny to watch.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ip7sfgkkNa8
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Tezuka's involvement in the Animerama erotica film trilogy that Mushi Production put together? Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
@Ggultra2764, I guess those movies are regarded as bad stuff.

I believe the only really well regarded anime film from before the mid to late 1970's was Takahata's Horus:(1968).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Phoenix is the one that belongs the least in this list sure it cause about mature themes and all but it doesn't capture the sprit of the other's certainly with the early stories one.
Like maybe you could have placed Alabaster there or something.
But yes mature Tezuka is by favourite.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
You know, I keep meaning to check out Message to Adolf, but then I keep forgetting about it. Thanks for the reminder!
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Once, in my early 20s, I tried reading a couple of pages of Phoenix. I was a reader of the Atom Boy comics when I was a kid(it was licensed in my country), so I was interested in what it's about. Back then I decided that it was pretty dark, and I thought that I was still not mature enough to understand the themes.

Now in my 30s, I tried reading it again a couple of weeks back. I still think I'm not mature enough to understand what's it about. Confused

Reading descriptions about other titles on this list, I realize I actually know nothing about most of his works. Sad
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Ayako was the first manga that I ever read. (Well, that was really the first volume of S-Cry-ed, but that was on a whim more than a decade ago. Ayako was the first complete manga story that I read) I'm at least a little ashamed to confess that I was drawn to it because of the naked woman on the cover, but a lot of that was because something that seemed fit for mere prurience under Osamu Tezuka's name in a handsome hardcover volume was a curiosity. I don't remember it really well, but I know that it left me unsatisfied and uncomfortable. Those aren't necessarily bad feelings for something to evoke, but I believe that I didn't find that Ayako meant something, or enough, that justified those feelings. I should read it again; there's a fair chance that I'd feeling differently five years later.

I read The Book of Human Insects only a little while after I read Ayako, so I don't remember it well either. I do, however, recall liking it better. I think, somewhat sheepishly, that I have a peculiar weakness for that kind of 'evil woman' type. I probably found it thematically clearer and more effective too. I could do with reading it again too.

I read Message to Adolf just shy of a year ago. I recall that it had striking scope and ambitions, as well as some themes that I found agreeable, but it didn't quite win my affection. That I have such a faint impression of it bespeaks something about it not suiting me.

The way that women and girls in these manga act and are acted upon loomed large in my appreciation of all of them. I gather that Dr. Tezuka meant well, but was informed by social traditions, or something similar, that lead him to portrayals that struck me as being from uneasy to appalling. Sometimes meaning well probably meant to him things that I find rather distasteful.

Despite my unease, there's not a one of the three that I've read that I regret reading or would discourage anybody else from reading.

I'd like to be able to hold forth on The Crater but... ugh....
Mewzard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Not to worry, Digital Manga is releasing the Crater as a bonus after their last Kickstarter succeeded. Digital Manga has released all the Tezuka manga they've Kickstarted thus far, so no worries there.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:36 am Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

Not to worry, Digital Manga is releasing the Crater as a bonus after their last Kickstarter succeeded. Digital Manga has released all the Tezuka manga they've Kickstarted thus far, so no worries there.

Well yeah, but I gave that money.

*sigh*

Florida Man...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2