• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime Celebrating Their 20th Anniversary

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Escaflowne and Case Closed, two of my top favorites. It's a shame Case Closed didn't continue being dubbed, but I'm grateful the manga is still being officially translated by Viz at least.

Quote:
Hitomi's otherwordly adventure to defeat the Zaibach empire with Prince Van and his mysterious mecha only appear dated because of Nobuteru Yuki's character designs. The guy doesn't draw noses like that anymore and hasn't since Heat Guy J.

He doesn't draw beast people anymore either. Lynx from Chrono Cross was the last time he ever came up with such an awesome, intimidating design for a beastman, and that was in 1999. Guess he's long since moved on from fantasy beings.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Lynzee wrote:
Ruri was up there with Rei Ayanami for recognizable, blank-stare girls with silver hair.

Amongst certain circles, Ruri still is!
My favourite Nadesico character shall always be Izumi though. Her wont for communicating exclusively via puns is as beguiling as it is relatable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Sailor Moon Sailor Stars in the new poll. I hope Viz finishes releasing all of classic Sailor Moon by the end of 2019.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
That typical 90s art style that shows like Saber Marionette J have, does it have a name?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I felt pretty comfortable voting for Slayers Next in the poll, although Escaflowne and Nadesico were both under consideration.
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I voted for Sailor Moon Sailor Stars in the new poll. I hope Viz finishes releasing all of classic Sailor Moon by the end of 2019.

Why would it be that long? They released S recently, only SuperS and Stars are left. Would it take 3 complete years to release them?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
You're Under Arrest and Saber Marionette J...Those two shows were a blast to watch. Smile It's still a shame that the English version of the former was never finished, but at least I had some serious fun watching the entire first season, plus the OVAs that came with it.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I felt pretty comfortable voting for Slayers Next in the poll, although Escaflowne and Nadesico were both under consideration.

You can vote for up to three. I cast two votes myself (Escaflowne and RuroKen), though Escaflowne would've been the no-hesitation pick if I'd been limited to just one.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
You can vote for up to three.

Thanks, somehow I missed that.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
holy crap. I had no idea child's toy had 102 episodes, I've only read the manga. does it adapt the whole thing?
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of long-running series, when it comes to WSJ, One Piece and HunterXHunter are the only long-running ones from the 90s and are the oldest series that are still running in the magazine. And HunterXHunter barely counts due to its frequent hiatuses. The next one is Gintama from 2003 which is ending soon. The rest is composed of series from 2012 to 2016/2017. And there are only a couple of ones for each year ranging from 2012 to 2015. The 2016 series still need to set their foot on the magazine for obvious reasons.

It is sad to see long-running series ending, and even though One Piece won't end in the next few years, I wonder how Oda will feel that all of his colleagues have already finished their long stories (except Togashi who is barely present). One Piece is basically the new KochiKame (which ran for 40 years) of WSJ and it will celebrate its 20th anniversary in August. Kind of sad that One Piece started earlier than Naruto and Bleach and has lasted longer than them. I wonder how HunterXHunter will celebrate its 20th anniverary next year.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
holy crap. I had no idea child's toy had 102 episodes, I've only read the manga. does it adapt the whole thing?

Yea VIz only end up licensing and releasing half of it the US, I don't think we ever got the other half.

But to answer questions, as far as I know the anime either didn't finish or changed the ending, because the ending of the manga was super dark with suicide/attempted murder and of course very awesome, but the ending of the anime either cut out that arc or didn't go that far.

Love Kodomo no Omocha, Nadeisco, and Hana Yori, and this coming from someone whose favorite genre is horror, fantasy and harem. But there were and still are some pretty shoujo.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I went with Rurouni Kenshin, Conan and After War Gundam X. Other than that I've only seen Escaflowne and Saber Marionette J in whole and GT and Jigoku Teacher Nube in part (one episode of the latter). But the funny part is the only series I own (part of at least) of the ones listed, is Kodomo no Omocha which I have never watched. I got it in one of those mystery DVD boxs a few years ago, but I have never felt the urge to watch it.
AholePony

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I feel old now, thanks -_-

I watched Nadesico a few weeks back and I think it holds up very well. Much better than many contemporaries from the mid to late 90's. It's character designs seem ahead of their time, the show aired at the end of '96 but you didn't see designs like that for another 3-4 years, almost proto-Full Metal Panic look to the characters.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
I feel old now, thanks -_-

I increasingly know that feeling Smile

It's hard to believe how old some of those series are now, it seems like it was only a couple of years ago I was watching them for the first time (in reality it was nearly 15 years ago at least).

I'm looking forward to watching Escaflowne again as I picked up the new UK collectors edition but have been putting it off as they're issuing a replacement disc for a subtitle problem (which if they're on schedule should be done this month).

I think Nadesico and YUA hold up quite well, or did the last time I watched them a year or so back.

Zin5ki:
Izumi is one of my favourite characters as well, partly because I share the same sense of humour and love of puns..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3