• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What do you think is the best way to advertise anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I was talking with a fellow ANN member (U KNOW WHO U ARE Laughing ) about how awesome anime ads were during the late 90s and early 2000s.

Like does anyone remember THIS?
So much kick-ass in 60 seconds. Anime hyper This was probably the best 60 seconds during my adolescence!

...............haha how sad. Laughing

ADV and Media Blasters were my favorites when it came to trailers. All they did was make mini music videos, using the theme song and interesting clips from the anime. And it worked. I bought so many OVAs and TV series from watching these damn things; they just enchanted and intrigued me. "Whoa, what was that!? What's happening!? This looks so dramatic! Omg, I want to know the story behind this! What a cool song!"
(just click that, come on^)

Why are you bringing this up now, Chiibi?

Because I don't like (I mean REALLY don't like) how companies (particularly Funimation) do anime trailers nowadays, all American movie-style with the cheesy voice-overs, giving away WAY too much information about the plot and characters. This also feels more childish too. Come on, stick to the music videos; if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Thoughts? Did a really good trailer ever convince you to BUY a show? Or at least want to see it? What's your preference on trailers? And are they even necessary anymore?
(I will still watch them, personally)
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:25 am Reply with quote
Who was this incredibly handsome, cool, smart, awesome person you were talking to? I think his their opinion is insurmountably important.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
Kindly contribute to the discussion properly, you goober. Rolling Eyes

Else, I'll ZAKERU your azz. Laughing
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Kindly contribute to the discussion properly, you goober. Rolling Eyes

Else, I'll ZAKERU your azz. Laughing

Fine. I personally think that reducing the dialogue in trailers would help. Even in the original PVs that Japan sends out, the cooler ones only have some dialogue at the end. I personally think that Funimation needs to step up their game. I mean, have you seen their Sgt. Frog trailer? Compare Funi trailers to the old Berserk one with Forces in the background.

...but the friend you had that conversation with is probably an expert on these things, and is probably the smartest, coolest person ever. I'd see if we can get him in on this discussion.

-narcissism intensifies-
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:51 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Like does anyone remember THIS?
So much kick-ass in 60 seconds. Anime hyper This was probably the best 60 seconds during my adolescence!

Manga UK used to assemble energetic montages of that sort during their formative years. For nostalgia's sake, they recently produced a video cut in a similarly provocative fashion using current titles, though it was not part of any marketing campaign to my knowledge.

In this day and age, in which certain stylistic features of anime occasionally permeate mainstream popular culture, I dare say that the average media consumer would be less arrested by a rapid visual succession of anime action scenes. That attractive sense of 'otherness' would be of a diminished magnitude, methinks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:44 am Reply with quote
I rarely watch anime trailers to be honest. In my experience they just tend to be confusing clusterfu**s. Just collection of dozens of different scenes taped together with voiceover. Chiibi's links are even worse. The first link gave me whiplash.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:59 am Reply with quote
Actually, I hated the old way of doing trailers for exactly the reason Chiibi loves them: they told me nothing. Sure, I got to see images and those could be intriguing, but I actually like to know something about the show as well. Obviously, I don't want key information to be given away, but a general sense of what the show is about is always appreciated.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:10 am Reply with quote
^

That's the initial response that Chiibi's anonymous, super amazing friend gave, allegedly. It's only a rumor, as no one really knows who this legendary man is, but I believe he said that he preferred trailers with some dialogue near the end so that you could at least get some feeling of what's in it for you if you watch the show.

I dunno. I personally think that no company has ever been consistently great at trailers. Well, then again, the original PV for Your Lie in April got me pretty hyped to see the anime before it came out.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
I guess it all comes down to personal preference. The trailers that Chiibi likes are the Japanese original trailers. In the olden days, NA distribs were too cheap to localize the trailers so they simply ran the originals. Japanese and Western audiences tend to like different styles of trailers. Japanese trailers are really more teasers than trailers. They give you an idea of the visuals, but they don't even try to build a bit of a story with them. It's really all about "teasing" you with the visuals. Western audiences, on the other hand, tend to like trailers that are informational and give you a pretty decent sense of what the show is about. What a shock that "I ain't no damn, dirty weeabo" Chiibi prefers the Japanese way of doing things...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
I've always disliked trailers, especially the ones that run before the show. They are just an impediment to your viewing what you paid for. Especially since they will always be there even when the shows they advertise are long out of print. This was especially bad in the VHS period when you had to fast forward to get past them.

Chiibi's first clip is a case in point. It is clearly from the VHS era. One of the first shows named, The Adventures of Kotetsu, never did come out on DVD.

It didn't help that the very first anime tape I watched, Ranma 1/2 TV, had a trailer for one of the Mermaid stories which featured two kids fighting and one gouging an eye out of the other. Viz put that trailer on multiple different titles.

The only good thing that can be said of those early ADV trailers is that they were entertaining, useless for advertising purposes, but entertaining. At least it was better than the ads for The Anime Network on so many of Sentai's disks.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The trailers that Chiibi likes are the Japanese original trailers.

In the olden days, NA distribs were too cheap to localize the trailers so they simply ran the originals. J What a shock that "I ain't no damn, dirty weeabo" Chiibi prefers the Japanese way of doing things...

Hell if I KNEW that. I thought the US companies made them!!

Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Sure, I got to see images and those could be intriguing, but I actually like to know something about the show as well.

That IS what written synopsises are for? I'd go looking for the title's tape or DVD, read the back of it, and if it appealed to me, give it a watch.

Cam0 wrote:
The first link gave me whiplash.

Lol Cam0, you wimp. I'd sooner believe epiletic seizure"...but "whiplash"? Really? How does it make you turn your head enough back and forth enough to get whiplash?

Alan45 wrote:
It didn't help that the very first anime tape I watched, Ranma 1/2 TV, had a trailer for one of the Mermaid stories which featured two kids fighting and one gouging an eye out of the other. Viz put that trailer on multiple different titles.

I don't remember that one....I saw the one with the dead girl on the floor in blood.
I liked that trailer cause it was so damn haunting. Very Happy I wanted to know what was going on, there.

Quote:
he only good thing that can be said of those early ADV trailers is that they were entertaining, useless for advertising purposes, but entertaining

How exactly were they "useless" if they got people interested in the titles? A lot us didn't have the internet back then...VHS ads were pretty much the only way to find out about new anime....aside from cherry-picking at the store randomly.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
As I say, Chiibi, it comes down to personal preference and you certainly aren't wrong to feel the way you feel. But I would say that from a business standpoint, NA distribs obviously came to the conclusion that just running the original Japanese trailers wasn't doing them any favours, which is why they switched to making their own even though this obviously meant incurring more expense.

I love trailers and always watch them on any release unless I've already seen the show. It's particularly fun to watch trailers from older shows - that's how I learned about the existence of an obscure show called Don't Leave Me Alone, Daisy, for example.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Lol Cam0, you wimp. I'd sooner believe epiletic seizure"...but "whiplash"? Really? How does it make you turn your head enough back and forth enough to get whiplash?

I dunno. Maybe the epileptic seizure shaked me so badly it gave me whiplash. Or a very tiny hand came through my computer screen and shaked me like "Look at how awesome this is!" so badly it gave me whiplash.

But I'm not a wimp! Ehem, I can touch my nose with my tongue.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi Wrote:
Quote:
How exactly were they "useless" if they got people interested in the titles? A lot us didn't have the internet back then...VHS ads were pretty much the only way to find out about new anime....aside from cherry-picking at the store randomly.

Well, useless to me at any rate. The shows ran together so much that I couldn't distinguish one from the other. Nothing stood out to make me want to watch it.

I did have internet access back then, dial up but it counted. Unfortunately finding information on a given show or what was new was sort of chancy. Sometimes you would find a whole site dedicated to a show and others you might find a couple of graphic images if you were lucky. The older the show the more information was usually available.

I did do a lot of cherry-picking stores, not randomly but consistently. However I mostly subscribed to all the magazines that came out then (Animerica at first, then Anime Insider and Newtype). They would discuss what was new in Japan that you might see in a couple of years under a different title. They would also list the new releases on tape and later on disk. If I was lucky they would show up in local stores a month or so after the official release date. I ended up hitting comic shops and video specialty stores in four states on a regular basis (Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Florida). Also TRSI put out a great catalog (still do, just not as big) and Viz and Dark Horse would sell direct by mail.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Sometimes you would find a whole site dedicated to a show and others you might find a couple of graphic images if you were lucky. The older the show the more information was usually available.

If you go through my old hardrive in the garage, you might find a whole bunch of anime pictures from angelfire websites. Laughing Tenchi Muyo, Gundam Wing, Sailor Moon, and Ranma, mostly.

Yes!! I had Animerica too! I learned so much from it; even got a fanart in there when I was seventeen years old. Anime hyper I wish it was still around.

Newtype was awesome...but just too expensive for subscribe; I was not surprised it was shortlived.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2