• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: CHAOS;CHILD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selipse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Chaos;Child is leagues better than Chaos;Head.
But the Chaos;Child anime seems like it'll only get to be at around the same level as the Chaos;Head VN at most (although that's still much better than the C;H anime).

C;C fixed every problem C;H had, but the anime just took those improvements away. By improvements I mean the characters. C;H had a really good plot, but its characters, outside of Takumi, were uninteresting (which I hear is kinda solved in Noah, but I only read the original). C;C had a lot of fun and quiet character moments, and it made you really care for all these people. However, that's gone in the adaptation so far.

Takuru isn't even the same character anymore. He's supposed to be a hipster nerd, with a sort of superiority complex. Itou has been demoted to being just "the bro". Serika's just... off. Nono's had the best depiction so far, but even then she's missing some layers. The main problem is that they haven't made Takuru's situation and his relationship with Nono clear.

However, I'll give props to the production. It's pretty nice to look at. It actually did have a visual direction around half as good as Occultic;Nine Laughing . The OP is also amazing. Too bad they only gave it 12 episodes (1̶1̶,̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶u̶n̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶e̶p̶i̶s̶o̶d̶e̶ ̶0̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶B̶D̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ Just checked Amazon, episode 0 is getting its own volume. So, 12 episodes confirmed. Yay?).
It could've seriously been Anime of the Year.

Last edited by Selipse on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
CHAOS;HEAD was an odd duck of a show, I liked it on the whole for what it was but it definitely tried and failed to be something it wasn't. By the end of its run I found it to be essential to approach each episode with a 'brain switched off' mentality. It could be fun but also really dumb, perhaps it needed a 2 cour run as it did feel rushed towards the finale (maybe that's too simplistic an answer) I'm not certain.

Still I don't regret watching C;H which is why when CHAOS;CHILD was announced I was quietly exited. What interested me most was whether or not it could overcome the failings of it predecessor. Going by episode 1 it seems like a show I can take seriously (as much as that's possible anyway), it feels like it will have a good mix of suspense and intrigue. Also the characters appear interesting and aren't actively annoying, which is always a plus.

I'm in it for the long haul, so hopefully it continues in a positive direction and ends up being a worthwhile experience.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Count me as one of those who got interested in Chaos;Head after the first 2 or 3 episodes because I thought it'd be a murder mystery. I couldn't have been any more wrong. What a complete waste of my time that series ended up being. I actually watched the first 5 minutes of Chaos;Child but as soon as I saw that 'equation' pop up from Shogun I stopped watching cause I knew this would be about the same ol' energy sword BS that plagued Chaos;Head. No thanks. I had enough of that. And this one doesn't even have "Super Special" as the ending theme, meaning there's no reason at all for me to see it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I've tried twice to watch C;H and I don't think I ever made it past the murder of the guy staked to the wall. I just kinda kept forgetting to go back and watch it.

I'm feeling kind of the same way with C;C, in that it seems like there's something interesting going on here, but the hook just bounces off me like its point has been dulled. I don't know if this is just not my thing or if there's something they aren't doing that would make a difference.

But I'll give it at least one more episode. Maybe if I can make it through C;C, I'll go back and finish C;H.
Selipse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
Oh, boy. I just realized they actually hadn't made clear that Sakuma, the foster father, is a doctor. Their foster home is actually half-medical clinic.
So, yeah, Kurusu was taken to the doctor and received medical attention.

Now, Kawahara is definitely a jerk and not really a great person, but the show is selling him a bit short. He's also missing a hugely important scene that happens the night before the festival.

In fact, I'm really bummed that they cut almost everything from right before the festival. The events of this episode (and the ones it cut) are massively important for Takuru's development, and in fact, for the story as a whole. The first big problem is that we actually never got a good look at Takuru, his life, and his relationships beforehand. The second problem is that they actually cut out the most important scenes, happening the day before the festival.

Takuru is a hipster that thinks he's above everyone else. He thinks he can solve this mystery easily, since he's a self-proclaimed 情強, the opposite of 情弱 (roughly translated as information illiterate; the second kanji used here means "weak", while the one Takuru uses means "strong"). He's always on top of the news, and won't be easily deceived.

However, his actions to "catch the bad guy" have now hurt someone close to him. Or most specifically, someone who was close to him. This event, along with his visit to Aoba Inn (his foster home), makes him realize two things.1: What he's doing is really dangerous. 2: Getting mad and escaping from home wasn't exactly right.

During the course of the preparations for the festival, Takuru starts opening a little bit more. Those like 3 frames where he was filming someone in a Gero Kaerun costume? That was a whole scene about him realizing that his classmates are not just superficial idiots, and that they don't actually see him as less.

It all culminates during the night. Takuru and the Newspaper Club stay the night at school. Kurusu, still hurt, goes to see how everything's going, since she's the Student Council President, and she just can't stop worrying about everyone even when she's been stabbed. Takuru and Nono have a nice heart-warming chat on the rooftop, where they remember the good times and mostly reconciliate. Nono, worried sick, asks Takuru to stop pursuing a dangerous mystery, and just go back to Aoba Inn and live a happy, quiet life. Takuru is actually considering doing that at this point.

After that, Takuru calls a taxi for Nono. After she leaves, Kawahara appears. Kawahara feels wrong for lashing out at Takuru and admits that he couldn't save Nono. He talks about their relationship, and they end on rather nice terms.

Of course, nothing ends up as happily-ever-after as the next day the new murder happens. Takuru also gets a new hint towards solving the case, and that brings him back to the game.

These events right before the festival are what, for me, cements Chaos;Child as a work leagues above Chaos;Head. It's truly disappointing that the anime didn't do it justice. In the end, we never got a good Sci-ADV anime besides Steins;Gate. Crying or Very sad

Also, on the plot side of things, a very important event was already changed. Takuru actually already visited AH Tokyo General Hospital alongside Serika before this.
There's also some hints that we'll be seeing some route-mixing. Which I already expected, but it's getting teased way too early. We'll see how it goes, but I have no hope.

At least the Rewrite anime is good now.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I thank Selipse for the very interesting info provided.

I just watched episode 3 and I can definitely feel a good story & characters trapped in a rushed adaptation that will mainly work for people that are really into the original games already. I like the whole murder mystery and how gruesome everything is; it's also quite refreshing for this series to be so lacking in silly comedic antics and concentrate in character relationships & suspense.

Having said that, a lot of things don't work for me: the whole thing about the stickers keep going back and forth (I didn't quite get the "it looks like an insect" comment at all in ep3) and the lack of emotion in certain gruesome moments (like the group being almost completely fine just after the Watabe incident....who I barely knew so that also confused me) break my suspension of disbelief. I also don't quite understand the role of the older guy that interrogated Arimura: apparently he's not a cop but he still was the only one to interrogate them ?

The character I dislike the most has to be Kunosato-san. She wasn't properly introduced and each time the writers develop her she gets more difficult to buy as a real person to me. It didn't help to know that she's still in school but goes around as she pleases and her shining moment of saying the school festival was going to be entertaining when in fact she "suspected someone was going to get killed".

But there are indeed characters I like too. Onoe & Takuru are the ones that I enjoy the most (probably because they move the plot forward) and while I don't like Kurusu, she comes off as a real person.

I'm looking forward to find out more as the series progresses and hopefully they fix some of the flaws.
Selipse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
The first few scenes of the episode felt somehow disjointed, but there were no big cuts during the episode.
The problem would be the cuts that were made before.

Uki had already appeared. She was in the photo of the place filled with Sumo Stickers where Nono was stabbed. Takuru and Serika had also visited the hospital before, and here, they entered a room filled with Sumo Sticker drawings and Uki. They escape and Takuru drops his phone.
When he's having the conversation with Nono in her room after she'd been stabbed, Takuru has a delusion where Uki appears and kills everyone.
During the night before the school festival, Itou gets a call from Takuru's phone. Even though he'd already called his carrier and cancelled his number. Takuru answers and the only thing he hears is the knocking sound that the other victims heard before they were killed.
The anime does away with all this mystery and suspicion regarding Uki.

Other things that were mildly disappointing this episode was that this delusion went by too quick. The animation of that bit was cool, but they should've given that image a bit of breathing time.
This cool delusion at the computer room was also missing. By the way, these delusions are mandatory in the game (that is, they're not activated through the delusion triggers). Same for Uki's.

On the bright side, the zombie delusion was pretty nice. That wasn't in the game.

ryanvamp wrote:
I thank Selipse for the very interesting info provided.

No problem. I'm just trying to say that Steins;Gate was not a miracle to everyone who decides to just watch the anime. Razz

ryanvamp wrote:
I also don't quite understand the role of the older guy that interrogated Arimura: apparently he's not a cop but he still was the only one to interrogate them ?

Shinjou is a cop. He's just acting outside of his jurisdiction by getting involved with Momose and Kunosato. By the way, he didn't know Kunosato by the beginning of the story, as the anime implies. Momose connects them while interrogating Hinae because she's not saying anything. It's implied Shinjou knows Momose because he was somewhat close to Ban, the detective from Chaos;Head.

Review wrote:
and both she and Taku have apparently been to the underground prison/hospital/human experimentation facility before, somewhat contradicting that theory of the earthquake's white light being responsible for their powers.

The anime missed the fact that they were there exploring. Takuru liked exploring with Serika when he was a kid. They weren't there as part of the experiments.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
For as confusing as Chaos Head was it was able to keep me interested enough just to see how it was going to end. I was excited for Chaos;Child but im really finding it a struggle to watch. I honestly expected it to be better than CH but its worse, its just more confusing and the plot seems to be going nowhere, but i will stick with it
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:30 am Reply with quote
Well, episode 7 was thoroughly repellent. It felt like a highyl cynical attempt to "shock" viewers and the scene positively wallowed in gore. I really hate this kind of super cheap, grotesque attempt at emotional manipulation.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:27 am Reply with quote

I'm going to start following this thread just to read Selipse's posts. Thank you for kindly explaining the differences the anime had compared to the game.

Apart from that, I guess I really should give the Rewrite anime more slack.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, episode 7 was thoroughly repellent. It felt like a highyl cynical attempt to "shock" viewers and the scene positively wallowed in gore. I really hate this kind of super cheap, grotesque attempt at emotional manipulation.

The picture for the cover of this article peaked my interest to read the article. The reviewer just made this show a must watch for me. Truth sometimes is stranger than fiction.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
I have no idea what would have peaked your interest other than the scumbuckety pleasure of, spoiler["oh cool, a young girl gets chopped up!"]
Selipse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I haven't commented on these past few episodes because I haven't had access to a computer to skip through the game to refresh my memories and really go through all the missed details, but I can't not comment on this one. This is probably my favorite scene in the whole game.

The only time I felt anything during the anime was when Nono broke down and started hugging Yui's boxes. And it worked in part thanks to the music (which I think is the only track from the game that's been used). I really don't get what the reviewer is saying there. I think it worked really well. Other parts that would've been better with the game's music are when Takuru's running to where Itou and Yui are, and when they first encounter Haida Riko. Both should've used PEAK LEVEL.

Now, the actual execution of the scene was pretty good, even with a few stumbles. The problem was, as the reviewer said, that we didn't get to know Itou in the anime. In the VN, he really stands out. He truly is a good friend, and his character is so enjoyable. I think we were also missing a bit of exposure on Yui, but she got a better deal than Itou. The real problem with her would be the lack of proper attention to Takuru's relationship with Aoba Inn in general.

The scene in the game made me feel a lot of things. The harshest part is definitely before Takuru arrives at the crime scene. As soon as Itou started saying those things on the phone, I was terrified. Not just for Yui, but for Itou. I just couldn't believe he would be capable of doing something like this. Then I remembered what just happened, with Itou telling Takuru that the murders are over and that they should stop. I then started going back through every interaction with Itou. Things like him being the one who received the call from Takuru's lost phone (which the anime just straight cut out). He started looking suspicious. But then I started remembering all the good times. All his support. I refused to believe Itou could be the murderer. I just had this huge rush of emotions as Takuru ran searching for Yui.
Then he got there. First, a pool of blood. Then some strange boxes. Itou appears with a tortured look in his eyes holding a knife, his body dripping with blood. It was happening. Itou actually killed Yui. I kid you not, I screamed at when I was reading this, at 2 am.
When Nono arrived and pointed out that Itou was being controlled, I was relieved at Itou not being the mastermind, but it didn't make things better. It just made me feel even worse for him. He's such a cool guy, and he was forced to do this horrible thing. And the fact that he actually killed Yui also remains. The whole thing is just a hurricane of emotions.

It's such an impactful scene, and seeing it being reduced to just a distasteful event for shock value saddens me so much. Why the hell did they decide to give the anime only 12 episodes?

BlueAlf wrote:
I'm going to start following this thread just to read Selipse's posts. Thank you for kindly explaining the differences the anime had compared to the game.

No problem! Although I think I'll be doing a more detailed commentary until the anime is done. I probably won't be able to get a computer until then. Sad
Still, I think I'll be giving my impressions each episode, especially since we're now going to start getting some really interesting turns of events.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:07 am Reply with quote
As someone who hasn't played the visual novel I"m enjoying the series, but could someone who has let me know if they're rushing through this like Chaos;Head? It seems to be better, but I would like to know without any spoilers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:51 am Reply with quote
I don't understand people who say the plot twist come from no where, it is a mystery anime we will have all the element at the end. It was exactly the same in Steins;Gate ( many things was modified ad we undertood why far after ). And like in Steins;Gate ( again ) their is things people trust in the anime which are false ( doors are not opened by the hero for me and their is certainly other things they trust but false, in Steins;Gate : the sex changement, time is not a facter for send message )
So to judge this anime please wait the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3