• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - It's High Noon

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
My most disappointing game of last year and another example of people praising it as "great game writing" was Mafia 3. It was someone's C- movie stretched out to 25-30 with Assassin's Creed 1 gameplay,in which you do the same 3 things over and over again,until you unlock the option to do a kind of fun story mission. Pacing is a huge issue with when it comes to these story heavy games like this.

When I think I of good writing in games,I think of the Thief trilogy.not necessarily
for it's stories which are fine,but the excellent worldbuilding the games do. They really went out of their way to establish the setting,fractions without depending on cutscenes/exposition to do so, like games today would.

One thing you guys forgot to mention with RE7 besides it ripping off the PT design,was it also being a heavy ripoff of Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1 visually and villain-wise(one the trailers had their own version of the famous dinner scene). Nothing wrong with copying a great horror film like that,but the game clearly doesn't have it's own identity.At the end of the day I think it will be a fine game.

Last edited by Themaster20000 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I'd say RE 7 takes more from Outlast than P.T. based on the demo I've played.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Wait, no Todd? With Gravity Rush 2 just being released?
That's cold.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

That was the impression I got, too. While I liked Outlast, I'm still not sure if that will be the right direction for Resident Evil. I'm taking a wait-and-see approach to RE7.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:

That was the impression I got, too. While I liked Outlast, I'm still not sure if that will be the right direction for Resident Evil. I'm taking a wait-and-see approach to RE7.

I think since there will be hand weapons and guns that it can still retain that RE feel. The way they've shown the father of the Baker family constantly pursuing you has a very Nemesis feel to it. That being said, I'm hoping they'll also keep the Revelations series going as well as I think those have managed to get the good balance of horror and action that 4 had as well as bringing back classic RE characters we've missed.
David5807

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
No video podcast on Youtube?
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:02 am Reply with quote
Two different points on the Switch came together into one point when I was listening ... it needs a battery cover.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:57 am Reply with quote
David5807 wrote:

For video everyone has to be in the same place. I'm assuming this week's guests were using Skype.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
David5807 wrote:

For video everyone has to be in the same place. I'm assuming this week's guests were using Skype.

Yeah this is the issue we presently have - curious if people would like a video stream anyway. We can have our participants use their webcams and capture the show that way - not ideal but it's a solution. We're working on significantly improving the video version of the show over the spring, figuring that out is high on the list of issues to tackle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1