• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Former Kinema Jumpo Editor Explains 'your name.'s' Lack of Rank on Best Film List

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
So, the critics and the theater goers don't agree. Now ... where have I heard this before? Razz

Mark Gosdin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
So they're saying it's just a quirk of the points system.

Between the one that got #1, the fact that they're not actually rejecting your name., and the amount of anime staff/influence that the Godzilla movie has, I feel like this has a lot of respect for anime...

I feel like anime is moving into a phase of more mainstream respect, which it deserves.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen your name yet, but Shin Godzilla at 2? I understand a popular movie can be lacking critically, just look at your typical James Cameron movie, but to not have a popular movie like Your name, which is kind of rewriting the book on how anime films fare, and then have a Godzilla movie on this list.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:13 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
So, the critics and the theater goers don't agree. Now ... where have I heard this before? Razz

Mark Gosdin

DC diehards?
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:21 am Reply with quote
How did it come to be that critics have to justify their opinions to fans?
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:51 am Reply with quote
I can understand there can be argument who is the best but the fact that these guys did not include Kimi no Na wa even in their list of 10 best Japanese films of 2016 makes me think they are joke critics.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:02 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I haven't seen your name yet, but Shin Godzilla at 2? I understand a popular movie can be lacking critically, just look at your typical James Cameron movie, but to not have a popular movie like Your name, which is kind of rewriting the book on how anime films fare, and then have a Godzilla movie on this list.

Godzilla is about sclerotic modern politics & an icon of Japanese cinema. In This Corner of the World is about Hiroshima & traditional family values. They're going to do well with Japanese media critics in a way that a teen movie about body swapping won't. Now if Your Name was a film about a Japanese housewife stopping the Enola Gay while riding Godzilla & then getting married, it would probably have won.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:17 am Reply with quote
Traditionally, Kinema Junpo hates animation. Yes they sometimes include animated films in the top 10 but in a much smaller proportion than the box office performance of these films or the economic size of the anime industry versus live action industry (Akira Kurosawa even complained around 1990 that all the artistic talent was in animation, one thing to note is that film critics and filmmakers like Kurosawa are not animation fans but fans of live action film: Shin Godzilla made the top 2 while the arguably superior Hideaki Anno EVA movies never made to the top 10, clearly demonstrates the live action bias of these critics).

Also, one thing to note is that animation is usually made for younger people while the critics who vote for these lists are about 70 years old so their tastes reflect that: Akira didn't make it in 1988 while Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies made it, mainly because the latter films fit much better with the tastes of 70 years olds.

Edit: also it's Junpo not Jumpo.

#861208 wrote:
I feel like anime is moving into a phase of more mainstream respect, which it deserves.

Well, manga has been bigger than live action film since the 1960's, it's taking a WHILE for it to get "mainstream respect" if you measure it by the number of manga films that show up in Kinema Junpo's lists. That is, assuming that Kinema Junpo is "mainstream" considering that it's a magazine about Japanese live action film, a field has been almost dead since the 1970's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AGodOfAll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
I can understand there can be argument who is the best but the fact that these guys did not include Kimi no Na wa even in their list of 10 best Japanese films of 2016 makes me think they are joke critics.

And a bigger joke is not having a single mention of Koe no Katachi, a movie that Makoto Shinkai mentioned being his favourite anime as of recent time (despite his lack of time to watch anime). Is it because of the studio being KA? Is it because of moe (like Kimi no Na wa)? Is it because the studio does almost only otaku related stuff? You would think that a movie like Koe no Katachi would be more critically viewed given its theme that is rarely developed in this media.
Woomy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
mgosdin wrote:

Mark Gosdin

DC diehards?

Nah, the ones who like those crappy DCEU movies aren't DC fans. I can't believe any self-proclaimed fan of DC actually enjoys films that are just objectively terrible, and crap all over characters they claim to love.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
The article says that film rankings include films the general public are unfamiliar to. This is why I don't necessarily agree with some of these Best Picture nominees. Here in the USA, often times the general public's exposure to such movies is limited to film festivals and if it's a NYC or LA movie theater. For films that get such a limited release, especially foreign ones, it would help if they could put it on Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon Video for a few weeks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1