• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Binge Benefits

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Voltron season 2 was great and the hook for season 3 has me excited spoiler[Summon Prince Lotor] and I am if spoiler[Shiro isn't found and rescued by the end of the first 2 episodes of season 3 I will be pissed. Where we are in the series, the mythos of the series, and all we went through from the end of season 1 through season 2 to just get rid of Shiro now is beyond bullshit. Paladins bond with their lions and lions with their paladins you can't just switch lions or get a new paladin like it is nothing. Also Allura is the only one who can pilot the castle and activate the wormholes so she can't be a paladin. I know all the fans of the original want her to pilot a lion but it doesn't make sense in this series.]
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I mostly binge/marathon/whatever watch for the simple reason that I find juggling multiple shows concurrently a nightmare, especially now there's so much stuff being shunted out every week. Tried to when I first discovered simulcasting a couple years ago & burnt out pretty quickly. It's easier to just start something, take a tea break every 3-6 episodes & finish it or give up & move on.

There's exceptions, of course - Stardust Crusaders worked well as a 2 episode a day series & I kind of wish I hadn't binged Sweetness & Lightning given how formulaic its episode structure was - but in general I find it a better way to watch.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Give me enough caffeine and I can motor through almost anything the longest I've ever done watching Anime was the hours I'd spend getting off working second shift when I just started working and still lived at home I'd get the Netflix DVDs of Neon Genesis Evangelion and burn through them every night one DVD at a time until I had to get up in the morning.

Or I finished all of the 1997 Berserk in under a week after my friend recommended it to me. only to meet up with him for coffee with the Thursday I finished the series and Banquet scene was still fresh in my head.

I also finished Mermaid's Forest in s littlie over an few hours. Memorable if only because I paused it at one point and my kid sister was walking through where I was watching it and asked wther it was Pokémon.

I don't binge watch as much now as honestly if it is something I like I don't want to rush it as well as the amount of seasonal stuff I watch week to week that is new gives me more than enough to watch. Fall 2016 Anime Season I watched different new Anime series from 8 A.M. to 3:45 P.M. Of course now that I've got Anime Strike as soon as I finish up Vivid Strike I will end up burning through Nanoha StrikerS pretty quick.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
When I first started watching anime a few years ago I never used to watch airing shows and basically used to binge watch everything (nothing like 72 hours though probably a max of 7 to 8), but overtime I just got tired of it because eventually I couldn't even manage two 24 minute episodes of a show a day no matter how much I liked it and even then found myself watching some older shows an episode a week (which actually I tried a while ago and found quite nice so just I kept that routine).
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Each season I usually follow 7-10 simulcasts and watch the episodes as they air. But I binge watch the shows I have on BD/DVD. I can watch one-cour shows in 3-4 sitting in one day, but for longer shows I watch in consecutive days 8-10 episodes per day.

Marathoning subbed anime can be tiresome, but I find the experience of consuming a bunch of episodes in a single day more rewarding than watching 1-2 episodes here and there. And the longest time I have binge watched anime without a break is like 6 hours.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
When I first watched Fullmetal Alchemist (my first real anime) I was watching it in 10 episode chunks.

A single cour tends to be my limit but on occasion I've gone further, especially with recent One Piece arcs.

One Piece can be easy to storm through episodes nowadays because if you skip the extended opening and sometimes as long as 5 minute recap, most episodes only tend to be 15 minutes long. 4 episodes takes only 2/3 of the time as a result. So I've done 20 One Piece episodes in a day quite often over the last few years.

Romance series are easy to be sucked into. I fall quite easily for the simple yet endlessly frustrating angle of 'will they, won't they?' and have fallen into marathons 20+ episodes long. Maison Ikkoku, Nana and Boys over Flowers spring to mind.
#Immie93

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I've binge watched a lot of shows. Mainly if I'd just finished uni work for the day it would be straight onto any show which took my interest. I remember I literally had to take a day out of uni work to marathon attack on titan. I'd read all the reviews, heard of all the hype after it had finished airing so I gave it a go and oh crap. There's go any chance of me doing any work! And I'm glad I could marathon it, because I can't imagine the depression of having to wait a week for a new episode. Not looking forward to being one of those people for AOT S2 because no way can I hold out until it all finishes airing!

Another marathon was Code Geass. That was a day and a half job.

I blame it on the first couple of episodes. Once you're hooked you spend the whole time saying "just one more and I'll finish there." Wrong.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
There's a point in Maison Ikkoku toward the end where it's a cliff-hanger every episode. I'd already been watching for a while when I hit that point, but once I did, I kept popping in the tapes until I finished the series sometime the following morning.

The same thing happened with the manga --- it was back to Million Year Picnic every day to pick up one or two (or three or four) more volumes until I finished the series.

I will occasionally pop in a favorite episode of a series and then just watch through to the end of the series.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have to plead guilty to watching all of Stranger Things at once

I honestly only planned to watch one episode to see what all the fuss was but, by the time it was 5pm I had to go outside & take a break because I had just marathon the first four episodes back to back in my basement. Anime hyper

Just finished binge watching Voltron 2 last night and I'm both happy for certain character developments specifically Keith since he and Pidge are my favorites but I had to avoid Tumblr for a while because if I see one more goddamn Klance shipper say spoiler["Shieth is dead because Keith loves Shiro as a brother lol we win"] in a series where the main group considers each other family anyway?!? *eyeroll* Anyway, I loved the background designs this season and episode 4 Greening the Cube was one of my favorite planets so far. I guess we are going to see more parallels with the original Go Lion;spoiler[ Allura will most likely pilot Red while Keith handles Black and that Galra guy Keith and Hunk saw was probably Prince Lotor. My major complaint is that Hunk only had a few times to shine this season and the Galra! Keith was glossed over but I'm glad that Pidge's brother Matt isn't a prisoner anymore so hopefully she can find him soon. Altean Haggar was a mild surprise but, I've been iffy about hoe Allura's magic overpowered Haggar in the finale. ] Also, did anyone else notice that the spoiler[decontamination scene from the spores] looked like that one scene from Rebuild of Eva 2.0??

Binge watching is useful for shows that I wanted to give a second chance or, if it's Netflix, a quick fix of some new content without worrying if I forget to watch it on a weekly basis. Otherwise, I rather watch anime specifically new shows on a weekly schedule and then marathon it once I bought the series. Actually, back in my sophomore year of college I would watch 5-7 episodes of LOGH for almost 2 months after class since I didn't have any other new anime I wanted to watch but also, the amount of praise made me morbidly curious. Now if Sentai were to ever give a release date I'll do the same schedule after I buy that and Space Bros which I really need to rewatch after seeing Hidden Figures twice.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Binge-watching is something that I honestly can't wrap my head around very well. It just feels like you're inevitably losing something when you cram episodes one after the other without giving yourself any time to chew on what just happened and speculate on what might be coming next. I guess I'm more of a product of the Old Ways, where viewers were denied instant gratification by necessity, but it does feel like there were some tangible benefits to that. Some of the best anime-viewing experiences I ever had were watching shows premiering on [adult swim] back in the day and having to suffer through a devastating cliffhanger for an entire week before finding out how things were resolved. Hell, after the penultimate episode of Eureka seveN aired, I think it occupied almost all of my down-time thinking for the entire week. This had the added side effect of encouraging more in-depth discussion on individual episodes, because we had all that time to pore over details and toss around theories. All of that gets completely lost if you're watching a show that has an entire season dumped on Netflix or Amazon Prime. About the only thing I feel like it make sense to marathon is something along the lines of One Piece, which is so gargantuan in length (and in recent years often glacial in pacing) that limiting yourself to one or two episodes per week just isn't practical in terms of catching up.

Besides all of that, I just can't sit through a whole bunch of episodes of a series in a row without starting to feel all twitchy. I think the most I've ever managed for a single series in one sitting was 5, and even watching 7 or 8 episodes of different series like in a Toonami-style block tends to wear on me. If it's playing a game or reading a book, I'm good for hours at a time, but television is an inherently non-interactive medium, and I can feel my brain check out if I park myself in front of it for too long at a time.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
The only animes I usually bingewatch are 11-13 episodes or shows with hundreds of episodes. Any others I usually take my time with, especially old school titles.

I do love to bingewatch super long shows (this goes especially for Toei anime). My record so far has to be with One Piece at 43 episodes in 1 day (same with D.Gray-man about a year ago) and I can't say I was even remotely sick of watching it. Don't think I'll ever manage to do that again.

Currently rewatching Detective Conan (yes, all of it) and despite its episodic and formulaic nature, I can't seem to stop. Just wish there was a legal way to watch episodes 124-753.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I only binge-watch if it's an older show that's already out and done with. For new stuff I prefer weekly episodes. I don't have a Netflix account nor am I interested in any of their output, I just torrent any anime they license and hold ransom for the entire season so they can release it for binge watchers. Binge-watching makes a show feel cheap and disposable, like its already over the moment it began. Then you're waiting a year for it to come back. Seems like a great way to kill fan investment and longetivity into a series. Then again every Netflix show I've heard about only has 13 episodes seasons or fewer. 26, 52, 100+ episode series that wouldn't really work and seems even more stupid to release those all at once.
TrustTheFungus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
How many episodes do you need to watch for it to be binge watching? I always wait for something to finish airing before I watch it, but I don't watch the whole thing in one sitting. I normally watch 2 or 3 episodes a day. Maybe more on the weekend.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Your friend's donut analogy does not really work. Ted Sarandos, CCO of Netflix, compared it best to when English literature went from serials (like Dicken's novels) to larger bound books, which much like streaming had to do with advances in printing technology amongst other economic and cultural changes.

I set aside one morning every week to binge all the newest episodes of whatever anime I am watching that season. I change up the order each time depending on how I feel, but I usually go from worst (or least good) to best. My own, personal Weekly Shounen Jump.

I prefer to binge shows when I can, but I sometimes watch series like House of Cards with my parents and they are the antithesis of binging. The most they can handle is 2-3 episodes at a time. They are very active and productive people, so they feel bad if they sit around for too long. Whenever I watch two episodes back-to-back of Empire or Vikings with my mom in the morning, she will inevitably say, "Now it's time to get up and do something."

That goes for when I show them anime like Death Parade, Yowapeda (my dad's favorite show) or Shirobako (he loves the director and two male PAs, but thinks the girls are boring) as well.

Oh! And my first binge watch was Twin Peaks with my best friend in high school, which was not unusual because we binged classic movies with his mom too.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I really just let the show dictate how I watch it. The first time I watched Lyrical Nanoha A's I pretty much binge-watched it - 4 episodes before I went to bed, and the last 9 episodes after I got up the next morning, because it was so gripping I didn't want to stop. Persona 4 was another one like that. I bought the first half of the series, devoured those 12 episodes in about two days, and then impatiently waited for RightStuf to put it on sale again so I could buy the second half. On the other hand, one of the shows I'm watching right now is Squid Girl, and that is absolutely a one-episode-at-a-time series, especially because the way it's structured, every full episode is like watching 2 or 3 shorter episodes anyway. I can enjoy one episode of it, but each time I've tried to stretch it to two episodes I've found myself checking my watch halfway through the second one.

Craziest marathoning I've ever heard of, though, is that I actually know someone who watched all (at the time) 700 episodes of One Piece in about six weeks. Even allowing 20 minutes per episode by skipping openings and endings, that's still an average of 17 episodes per day for over 40 days in a row. And she's still in school, so it's not like she didn't also have other things she needed to do, either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4