• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Mari Okada Writes Mobile Suit Gundam

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:07 am Reply with quote
One thing's for sure. You can't escape the flakking of the newest Gundam entry coming from these "seasoned" Gundam elitists, no matter how said show tries to differ itself from the pack. Sorry it's not the second coming of Turn A, Zeta or G. Spare us the saltiness and just go back to rewatching them the Nth time.

Regarding IBO, it certainly has flaws about the level of 00 (which is a decent Gundam barring the movie.) yet it's just as decent. The show could really use to pick up the pace more now that it's hitting the last quarter of its run. I'm not seeing much of a buildup for an epic battle as is staple of the series, unless they're intentionally going for that and continuing on guerrilla and insurgency style warfare. It'll be different, but be prepared to get rained with frustations from fans.

Most of the characters really wear their emotions and thoughts in their sleeves which is a mixed bag. It helps to build out drama, but it's gotten to the point that you're pre-emptively spoiling yourself because the hints and foreshadowing lay it on thick. Okada wasn't this heavy handed when she was writing Nagi no Asakura and that was an unadulterated teen drama. Is she trying to channel SEED in this one?

Also, the focus on talking heads isn't doing itself any favors in the mecha department. I haven't done much research, but I feel like not as many are willing to buy Gunpla from this universe beyond Barbatos. A lot of the mecha are relegated to grunt jobber status, not really doing anything particularly awesome which doesn't translate to many sales. Despite touting itself as mature real robot, let's be real. Pushing plastic models is the name of the game for this franchise.

For all the issues laid out, I'm still having a fun time with it. The cast kinda one not but charming, the premise is different, the lore and history are interesting and the animation is generally fluid. It's definitely on the good side of the pond right now.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Just my point of view but I think Okada really sucked on this one.
First I think Mikazuki is one of the less charismatic main characters from the Gundam franchise I have ever seen. He is nothing, just a robot moving by his friend orders.
Speaking of him, their relationship has nothing interesting, it's just too cliche. Is it because brotherhood has become popular these last years ? (cough cough FFXV cough)

Then comes the stupid love triangle, seriously why ? It's just too forced. Atra is just totally useless. If you watch from the second part of the first season, there are basically almost no scene with Kudelia and Mika alones ! (Atra is usually there...) Not like Kudelia is a good character too. She feels empty to me.

Then there is the troll relationship between spoiler[ Merrebit and the old man, come on seriously ??? that cames from nowhere it's just stupid and nonsense... Was it done just to surprise the viewers ? Or because they did not want to put Orga in any relationship anymore ? Well whatever]

All in all, I hope Okada will never touch a gundam serie again.[/spoiler]
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Another seasoned Gundam Elitist reporting in.

I like IBO.
There's stuff wrong, but a lot new/unqiue. Mikazuki's character is a mentally disturbed monster, and I like that. How often do we joke that kids get to pilot giant killing machines? Now we put a killing machine into the giant robot. His own "best friend" seems at times terrified by him. He attacks first,to the dismay of his allies and enemies alike.

Let me correct what I said. i don't think IBO does anything wrong either. It has all the ingredients. Some of them aren't being used as well. There's also too much going on. I feel like if you were to ball up IBO and throw it back in the oven for awhile we'd get something really nice. Trim the fat.

Some of the politics seem okay....

But its not a very good Sci-Fi franchise. Typically I envision Sci-Fi to speculate on how humanity will operate in the future given new circumstances. I feel IBO really isn't utilizing its setting except in cases where it can cause more familial/Bro rage.

I'd easily place several Gundam shows as worse than IBO. But the ending can make or break any value decision. The mecha design hasn't been this good in several cycles.

The quality of IBO really can't be measured until it wraps up, I feel. But the pacing be damned, anyone tasked with rewatching the show will have much waiting to do.
DOMEENAYTION

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I HATE MECHA ANIME.

But of course there are few exceptions, IBO being one if them. I never really watched any of the other gundum anime, but I think (being an outside viewer) it means a lot that maybe even others got interested in this huge universe of gundum.

What really made me want to watch was this art style (That doesn't seem to be the series main style) and the characters above all. I love the guys insane (and maybe naive) commitment to eachother that child soldiers trying to prove themself usually have have.

I don't know if any of the other series are like this, but that's what made me like it si much so far.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, the people in the production staff already know all the possible faults IBO might have beforehand. But they still decide to go with it. Why? Because with the limited time and resources they have, it'll still work.

I'm a long time observer of the Gundam franchise. So I've kinda understood how different series have different aspects that make them work. In my opinion, the recent G-Reco gets the spot of the worst Gundam series, but there were still several aspects of it that I really, really like.

Regarding IBO;
1. I can see most of IBO's tropes, including its telegraphed deaths. But I still don't hate it.
2. I really wish IBO had more mecha battles. But I still don't hate it either.
3. Knowing Takayuki Nagai as the director, I think the staff actually planned season 1 for 26 episodes, aiming for a big action finale. But something happened in the end that made them got only 25 instead.
4. Mika, Kudelia, and Orga's character development are aimed at the long run. So I won't take what they're going through now at face value. (So far, having character development in a Gundam series alone is a plus for me.)
5. Yes, seeing her past works, I do think Mari Okada likes to intentionally troll.
6. For all the drama it has, I like how IBO never entirely forgets its mecha aspect. That one scene in season 1 with Gaelio and McGillis talking before entering zero gravity was really impressive for me. I especially like the scenes with Eco Turbine and Yukinojo-ossan in it too.
7. I get the feeling Sunrise actually provided lore advisors for Mari Okada. I think they chose her to make the series more accessible to casual fans. For that reasoning, I think they made the right choice.
8. IBO's mecha design feels really fresh IMO. Their Gunpla lineup feel highly customizable even for the grunts.
9. I hope we get a third season next year.

BTW, thank you Lauren for all the past reviews.
dark13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
In my opinion, the people in the production staff already know all the possible faults IBO might have beforehand. But they still decide to go with it. Why? Because with the limited time and resources they have, it'll still work.

I'm a long time observer of the Gundam franchise. So I've kinda understood how different series have different aspects that make them work. In my opinion, the recent G-Reco gets the spot of the worst Gundam series, but there were still several aspects of it that I really, really like.

Regarding IBO;
1. I can see most of IBO's tropes, including its telegraphed deaths. But I still don't hate it.
And how is Biscuit a Trope exactly ? he acts nothing like the cliche Fat anime character who likes to eat.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Actually, IBO really doesn't feel very much like a Mari Okada anime. Okada definitely has her own, identifiable style, like in Black Rock Shooter, Wixoss, M3, Kiznaiver, and even Mayoiga. That narrative 'voice' feels very much like it's lacking in IBO.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
TranceLimit174 wrote:
but any long-time fan will tell you that this series is awful. Anecdotally, I've spoken to many other seasoned fans, fair amount of strangers too, and while we will all concede that IBO is a decent anime on its own, as a Gundam series it is terrible.

Those people sound like elitist snobs to be honest.

meiam wrote:
spoiler[Death are so incredibly telegraphed weeks in advance that there not shocking when they happen,]

As someone who watched Char's Counterattack and Gundam Unicorn which had their fair share of abrupt and pointless deaths that felt hella cheap I'm fine with this. I'd rather have a character's death hinted at then just have it happen with no advance warning.

true enough. that movie reminded me way too much of X-1999 where everyone was getting killed off left and right. though i just hope that she doesnt have that lolicon marriage go down the same way char did to quess . that there would seriously peeved off some people even more so. it would pretty much put him in the same insanity level as raul la crusade.

Quote:
Kudelia is more than Mikazuki's love interest. She's a politically savvy leader, a seasoned speech-giver, and in season two, the president, founder, and CEO of her own company. A woman in such a powerful role sounds very modern, but it isn't for Gundam. This future-focused show has long featured female characters in positions of power.
I wouldnt necessarily say that. while her political aspect and her drive to give mars its independence as well as outlawing the human debris system is more or less the main focus of her character, it probably wouldnt have occurred at all if fumitan wasnt killed off in season one. also her as mika's love interest let alone atra's love interest is pretty much dead on arrival and will only happen in 18+ ero fanart doujins. its pretty much so since season one that the person he ever shows any kind of emotion on is when it concerns orga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
I'm not a fan of IBO, though I did finish it.

How did you do that? Isn't is still going on? oO

I'm about 9 episodes behind, but keep hoping to catch up. I've enjoyed it a lot though, and Mika is my favorite character.

Otherwise, I'm not much of a Gundam fan, having only watched Wing and Seed. I was going to watch Unicorn on [as], but already felt lost after the first episode and gave up. So whatever she's doing differently, it's certainly working for me.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
There's a slight error regarding Char in this article. Char wasn't in his 40s in Char's Counterattack, he was only 32-33 at the time, as Char's Counterattack takes place only 13 years after the end of the original series.
Eivion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
I'm still waiting to watch season 2 dubbed so I don't have a solid opinion on it yet. But so far the Bernstein is a very cliched and overly idealistic character. She's more naive than Relena and Cagalli but at least G Wing acknowledges it and deals with it and SEED (Destiny) gives Cagalli the verbal abuse she needed, courtesy of Shinn Asuka.

This series acts as though her beliefs are absolutely correct and seems to back her up all the way, so it feels very preachy. I'm expecting season 2 to turn that around.

Are you serious? You're second paragraph is literally a description of Relena's character. Its particularly bad in her case because there was a lot of substance lacking along with embarrassingly childish speeches that would be laughed in the real world. Also Seed Destiny basically backtracked most of Cagali's growth. The stuff with Shinn was just embarrassing. Kudelia's entire arc during the first season is her being awakened from her naivete and realizing the work that needs to be done along with personal moral sacrifices to achieve her goals.
NeverLand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:23 am Reply with quote
TIPS:

Stick on Aldnoah or Gundam 00, they're miles better than this lol
Oby

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:57 am Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
any long-time fan will tell you that this series is awful. Anecdotally, I've spoken to many other seasoned fans, fair amount of strangers too, and while we will all concede that IBO is a decent anime on its own, as a Gundam series it is terrible.

Speak for yourself. I've been a fan of Gundam since the days of Gundam Wing, so you should know how "longtime" that is. After done watching Endless Waltz, I checked out all the UC features available (08th MS Team being the newest UC outing at the time). And after that, I followed the AU series and devour all the incoming OVAs & Movies (both AUS & UCs). You name it, I've watched it. Heck, I think I even remember the dog's name in Victory Gundam even though I don't want to. You can say I'm a freakin' veteran. And my impression about UC is that the only excellent TV series that it produced is the original Mobile Suit Gundam. Other UC TV series are ranging from mixed-bag to downright bad. Zeta is overrated as all hell when its narrative has a lot of problems, ZZ is a mess in the first half until it remembers that it needs to tell a story instead of fooling around with slapstick jokes, and Victory is downright a mess even though there are some good and moving parts in it. If you ask me, UC's best offerings are their excellent OVAs (0080: War in the Pocket, 0083: Stardust Memory, 08th MS Team, Thunderbolt, Unicorn, The Origin, etc). Gundam Newcomers should check them out after you've done watching the original MSG (TV series or trilogy movies)

All that said, I think IBO is one of the better Gundam TV series since 00 (GBF is an exception even though I really enjoy them as a gunpla fan). Not just among AU TV series but also UC TV series. It's certainly (miles) better than ZZ & Victory because the plot is a lot more tightly focused and always move forward to its final destination even though the pacing can be a bit slow. The plot also made a lot more sense with the "princess" character who grows from innocent and peace-loving conflict-shy lass to a hardened realist who acknowledges that some conflict, bloodshed and sacrifices (of lives) are needed in order to reach her goal for the greater good of Chryse city of Mars and the poor people (especially orphans) who live in it. Compare that to Relena and her ludicrous "Total Pacifism" which played straight in the entire Gundam WIng series (which is just as stupid as the ideal of "peace" in the horrid Superman IV movie) and there's no contest. Overall, IBO is also better-executed compared to Destiny, Age & G-Reco. Oh, and unlike SEED & Wing, 95% of the animation in IBO never use stock footage. Heck, even Gundam 00 had some stock footage (especially when it comes to 00 Raiser gattai sequence), while IBO rarely has one (if any) so far.

So yeah, I'm a Gundam veteran and I like IBO. This is hardly a surprise considering I know many fellow Gundam veterans who share my sentiment both local and international.

My advice to newcomers to Gundam franchise:
Don't listen to Gundam elitists who are close-minded and actively hating on other Gundam series that's not UC or *insert AU series of choice here*. They can only suck the fun out of you who actually enjoy this franchise for what it has to offer, flaws and all. Just check the AU series that interest you and enjoy watching it. Don't let the toxic part of the Gundam fandom scare you from diving into this franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2