• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Square Enix Announces its 1st App Game for Female Players

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
finally, i can play video games

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
"For female players" = "bishounen-centric" (e.g. otome games). Don't get all worked up about Japanese terminology, they're not saying girls can't play Granblue Fantasy. (There are actually some really nice ads on the trains in Tokyo for Granblue Fantasy aimed at women).

... that said, I feel like the collect-a-bishie market is getting crowded. TouRabu, AnStars, Idolish 7, a few other idol things, I think? and Yume100 has taken off recently. Plus all the male-idol shows that aren't app games. And otome games (UtaPri). And sports shows/manga.

I like bishounen things and I wouldn't want them to oversaturate it and have a bunch of them not do well... this looks like they poured some resources into it.

edit: bolded. Wow, you've never seen otome game adaptations being called "____ game for female players gets anime"?

If anything, it's homophobic - action games are for everyone, but pretty-boy games are only for women.

Last edited by #861208 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote
Oh, am I not supposed to be playing Kingdom Hearts Unchained? I didn't know. Sad

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Just a slightly awkward worded title. =P
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:24 am Reply with quote
i was just making a snarky joke, less at the game and more at the headline. i know what they meant
wohdin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
... that said, I feel like the collect-a-bishie market is getting crowded.

As opposed to the billions of collect-a-waifu games out there?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
... that said, I feel like the collect-a-bishie market is getting crowded. TouRabu, AnStars, Idolish 7, a few other idol things, I think? and Yume100 has taken off recently. Plus all the male-idol shows that aren't app games. And otome games (UtaPri). And sports shows/manga.

I like bishounen things and I wouldn't want them to oversaturate it and have a bunch of them not do well... this looks like they poured some resources into it.

Well, this behavior is pretty normal, if you ask me, when something turns out to be an undeniable success: Other companies want a chunk of the cash too and will make something similar in spirit, or at least in genre. And as long as the other companies playing follow-the-leader find success in it, it'll keep going until the audience has had enough.

Obviously, Sturgeon's Law comes in full effect: Most of them will not be very good, and most attempts to imitate won't be able to duplicate what made the original so appealing.

Occasionally though, some other creators create their own voices, and it becomes a genre unto itself. I think this is happening right now with the monster girl story in anime. (Obviously, this means Mattel should've waited a few years before introducing Monster High to Japan.)
meronichan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Cashing in on the otome craze huh, SE?

I doubt I'll ever play it, but it might be okay.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Only in America would this headline get people all riled up.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Only in America would this headline get people all riled up.

Who is riled up?
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh please, like all those bishies in all their other games were aimed at guys? Laughing
Ashymo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:46 am Reply with quote
Sigh people always got to complicate things. Square Enix(Also MagGarden wich used to apart of Square Enix) has always cared about its female audience, even more so than other other companies.

One example being a lot of their manga magazines are for mixed audience. Which means a lot of works for females that would never have gotten attention otherwise if they were published in shoujo/josei magazines, get more promotion and exposure in the form of anime adaptations.

Monthly Shounen Gangan(the magazine that Fullmetal used to publish under) which was made to compete with other big magazines such as Shounen Jump, weekly shounen magazine and weekly shounen Sunday, is targeted as shoujo as well nowadays.

GFantasy(Kuroshitsuji, Pandora Hearts, Horimiya): is first and a foremost a Shoujo magazine, and a shounen secondarily.

Gangan Online(Barakamon, Gekkan Shoujo, Watamote): Mixed. Shoujo and Shounen online webcomic.

Joker and Big Gangan being the only magazines that targets male audience. But even them mags will sometimes, hire female authors that will bring in different demographics, audience, etc. Recent example being Ono Natsume's Acca in Big Gangan. In Joker we got: Inu x Boku, Vanitas no Carte, Sengoku Strays, Shoujo mangaka Megumi's recent ongoing manga; Sono Vampir.

Their games similarly try to appeal to appeal to as many as possible. With this game they just made it specifically for a type of female audience(the otome crowd) on mind, that's all. It doesn't mean their previous games were specifically made for males only.

Anyways, the salt is real, I for one is going to play the heck out of it.
Lol at the hips of the 2 guys on far right and left
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
That hell-looks alot like Norn9, is Square Enix finally recognizing the female market after FFXV? It's good that they're expanding their market since the purchasing power of the female otakus+fujoshis are immense just look at Osomatsu-san. It's exciting to see how will they rival Otomate if ever it becomes a success. So far it's still the same for the otome game market competitions... Otomate reigns over Broccoli, Rejet, honeybee, Voltage Inc., etc. same old copypasted mobage and uninteresting gameplay.

The only otome game that made me interested is Mystic Messenger and it's not even from Japan. I hope the gameplay style would match with MM's unique gameplay not just the same old typical Japanese otome style. This is also the reason why MM's so overrated and one of the biggest surprises in 2016 and the company that made it is only independent.
Ps I wonder if they're gonna release it in multiple platforms not just in PSVita? [/b]
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Ashymo wrote:
Sigh people always got to complicate things. Square Enix(Also MagGarden wich used to apart of Square Enix) has always cared about its female audience, even more so than other other companies.

One example being a lot of their manga magazines are for mixed audience. Which means a lot of works for females that would never have gotten attention otherwise if they were published in shoujo/josei magazines, get more promotion and exposure in the form of anime adaptations.

Monthly Shounen Gangan(the magazine that Fullmetal used to publish under) which was made to compete with other big magazines such as Shounen Jump, weekly shounen magazine and weekly shounen Sunday, is targeted as shoujo as well nowadays.

GFantasy(Kuroshitsuji, Pandora Hearts, Horimiya): is first and a foremost a Shoujo magazine, and a shounen secondarily.

Gangan Online(Barakamon, Gekkan Shoujo, Watamote): Mixed. Shoujo and Shounen online webcomic.

Joker and Big Gangan being the only magazines that targets male audience. But even them mags will sometimes, hire female authors that will bring in different demographics, audience, etc. Recent example being Ono Natsume's Acca in Big Gangan. In Joker we got: Inu x Boku, Vanitas no Carte, Sengoku Strays, Shoujo mangaka Megumi's recent ongoing manga; Sono Vampir.

Their games similarly try to appeal to appeal to as many as possible. With this game they just made it specifically for a type of female audience(the otome crowd) on mind, that's all. It doesn't mean their previous games were specifically made for males only.

Anyways, the salt is real, I for one is going to play the heck out of it.
Lol at the hips of the 2 guys on far right and left

Huh, I always realized and liked that about Square/Mag Garden, but never put it into perspective (about some of those women/manga not getting the chance in shojo and josei magazines).

My appreciation has increased~.

The salt cracks me up~. I hope the game does come to the West so I can enjoy it in English.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1