• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: January & February's Light Novel Titles are Really Weird

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarethXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
ajr wrote:

While the long titles are kind of ridiculous and artistically impoverished, I feel they are functionally helpful. "Ender's Game" or "Gone With The Wind" don't tell me much about what to expect.

This. I really agree with this.

Considering how most of them end up being submitted for light novel contests, I guess these kind of titles actually contribute to its success.

actually most of this ere originally submitted to to the novel writing site syosetu.com, the descriptive titles are important to attract readers attention, as most of the time readers would be able to know what the content is about before they would read the synopsis which most of the time is at least a paragraph long.

hell some of them were made longer when publish due to the original title is to generic and doesn't gives the readers a clue what it's about.

eg: riot grasper <stealing> (ライオットグラスパー ~異世界でスキル盗ってます~), original title before publishing was being a thief in an alternate world (異世界で盗賊やってます) basically has no hook and is generic as it gets.

other times the original titles just doesn't reflect what the title as a whole is

eg : the black summoner <raise> (黒の召喚士 ~戦闘狂の成り上がり~) original title was the, summoner summoning anytime any place (古今東西召喚士)(this is the closest translation i can think off) describe the charecter but not the story.

though there are times when the title is shorten to make it more elegant

eg: the god slaying hero and his 7 pledges (神殺しの英雄と七つの誓約) original title was he keep insisting that he isn't a hero (彼は英雄ではないと言い張るようです) isn't really a great title especially if one skim through or even reads the synopsis key words like grop transported to alternate world, strongest, loved by the goddess is basically a negative considering the over saturation of the market with similar titles. the original basically give an impression that he's a wuss type hero who got lucky while the re-title give an indication of where in time the story is and give a plus of what the character hook is.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:20 am Reply with quote
A note about the last title on the list. This article mentions it being a January/February release. That same title was part of a Crunchyroll article called. "Dengeki Bunko Publishes Light Novel With Tongue-Twistingly Long Title" except the CR article said it's an April release. What's with the discrepancy on released dates?
Brutannica

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
A note about the last title on the list. This article mentions it being a January/February release. That same title was part of a Crunchyroll article called. "Dengeki Bunko Publishes Light Novel With Tongue-Twistingly Long Title" except the CR article said it's an April release. What's with the discrepancy on released dates?

Its release date is March 10. The article says "in the next two months" in order to include it.
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
*cough* harrypotter *cough*

From what I've heard, Harry Potter is the reason why we keep seeing magic high school stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4