• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yona of the Dawn (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
+100 to @DuskyPredator for the detailed response with D&D references that warmed my GM's heart.

As for the Zeno OVA, it brought up all the feels from when I read it, but oddly more intensely. :power of BGM & voice-acting:

There are a couple more side stories that I think would be cool to see: the Hak/Soo-Won/Yona childhood adventure one, Shin-ah's (Blue Dragon) spooky mystery one, and maybe Jae-ha's (Green Dragon) backstory, though it's short.

I would love a second season though. I just can't decide if I'd rather they pick up where they left off with S1, or fast-forward to some of the later material. There's a lot of intense stuff in the Water tribe arc, and it was popular enough to get a stage play adaptation, so I'm still a bit hopeful we might see an animated version of it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:55 am Reply with quote
@ mandisaw - would you say there is enough source material to support another 2-cours season? Another thing I love about this title is that its world and that world's history/mythology are very well-thought out. It feels substantial, not just generic fantasy. I definitely plan to start collecting the manga at some point.
lys

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
Oh, there's surely enough material for another 2-cours season and more. The existing anime covers about 8 (edit: i thought 7 but double-checked) volumes, and there are currently 22 (23 out in April). Volumes 8 to present contain several additional story arcs and episodes. And it's still so good! I sometimes get the magazine it runs in and occasionally I've been skeptical or confused about story direction or characters introduced. But once the collected volume is released and I see it in context of what comes before and after, I find all the elements fit together satisfyingly and the big picture becomes clearer.

Last edited by lys on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
@ lys - thanks for the info! I was curious as to how much of the manga had been covered by the anime, so I appreciate you pointing that out. So I guess the big determinant of a second (or more) seasons is how the first season performed and whether the anime appeared to have any appreciable impact on manga sales. Needless to say, I'm hoping those metrics were good.
lys

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
I hope so too!! It was the first time I felt persuaded to buy a JP bluray/dvd release for a series, motivated by my thorough enjoyment of the show and my desire to do what I could to help make more of it. I'm also real thankful the manga is being published in English now (and that I get to letter it, heh heh...) so that one way or another, the full story will be available to fans here :)

Oh, I just checked again and edited my previous post: the anime covered through volume 8, not 7. I forgot because of one event that they re-ordered so that the anime ended in a more satisfying place. (spoiler only for order of events, not content: spoiler[Su-won's visit to the Earth Tribe came after the pirate arc, but anime put it before, otherwise didn't really change anything story-wise.]))
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
@ lys - when you say you get "to letter it" does that mean you are the person who is actually doing the lettering fro the English translation? If so, that's very cool!
lys

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that's what I mean :) I letter manga for Yen Press, SevenSeas, Kodansha, and this is my first Viz title. I've been able to work on many books I personally love over the years, but Yona was my greatest dream-come-true assignment yet!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! That's going to make my future purchase of the Yona manga even more enticing.

*serious face*

Do a good job.

Wink Laughing
lys

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha!! I will be giving it my absolute best, for the sake of the readers, the artist I so admire, the story I hold dear... as well as my own reputation and continued employment :D I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to read it!
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Kudos to those who understood that I was just having sarcasm fest fun with the silliness of the plot.

Also, it is too bad people get angry and do not even notice that despite the amount of detailed critiques I list, better parts of shows usually overweigh anyway and I give them positive ratings. Even this show still got "Good" mark from me. Smile

By the way, I was tired when I was writing my review, so there is a lot of typos/mistakes in spelling and phrasing; sorry about that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 30 of 30