• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
Kawai Complex was created by Miyahara Ruri, mangaka of Love Lab. I've heard that was one reason why Kawai got a plot of positive attention when it first debuted.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
I had no idea Nichijou was coming out this week. Add that to the list of things to buy when i get paid.
chito895

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
Just so you guys know, the link to the Turn A Gundam reviews is redirecting to today's Shelf Life and not to the actual reviews.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Part of this might be down to the fact that this is a single-season adaptation of an ongoing manga series, so there may be some more ambitious story content that didn't make it into the anime.

Not really, no, it's pretty much WYSIWYG. Which is why I stopped reading the manga not long after I passed the point where the anime ended.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I ahev not rad the manga yet, tho I did watch the anime, for some reason I was always expecting the grouchy dude to be revealed to be a hottie once he dresses up, never hapened in the anime, but that makes me curious to read the manga.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Our user ratings [of Gundam F91] are vaguely positive, averaging out at around 6.8 out of 10.

I would expect the distribution of ratings would be very high for such a film. For every lone wolf who declares it a worthy addition to the Gundam franchise, there is at least one other fan willing to say quite the opposite. Rightly or otherwise, I've declined to purchase this title on numerous occasions, even after spotting it in £1 bargain bins.

--

The boxart for the upcoming Ghost in the Shell 2 release is most tasteful. It incorporates certain intricate designs from the film that Manga's UK cover lacked, while being decidedly less sexual in its emphasis. Having grown accustomed to associating this anime with the image of a dismantled, naked gynoid, it is almost as I'm presented with an entirely new production.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shaterri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how well Wolf's Rain has aged. The music is still amazing, of course (my second-favorite Kanno work) and some of the set pieces are excellent, but there's a lot of muddiness in the plot and the series really starts to sag under its own weight after a while.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I hope Wolf's Rain gets a Blu-Ray release in the UK, it is one of the best Animes I've ever seen.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I forgot that Ghost in the Shell: Innocence was coming out. I'll have to pick it up at some point since I've never seen it.

As for Kawai Complex, I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would. Despite the constant sniping that the characters do to each, there's moments that show that they all truly care about each other.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
BMK is such an interesting title. While it has slow progress on romance elements, it's good to see a main lead having a hard time cracking his love interest. Besides, the fun thing is that every main character is likable and their dialogues are not really sappy.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
@Zin5ki

The cover illustration for Innocence shown in the article is the same one used by Bandai on the initial Steelbook DVD release as well as on the later Bluray release.

The half dismantled gynoid (with the dog) shows up on the Bandai DVD release of a collection of music videos culled from the movie. Also an intact gynoid in a fetal position appears on the back cover of the Steelbook.

My question is whether the current release offers any significant reason for double (well triple actually) dipping.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:34 am Reply with quote
"Danganronpa - Complete Collection" and only contains season 1. Oh Funimation lol.

I personally loved Kawai. I have no idea though...I guess I just liked the how the characters meshed together and I found the OST to be really beautiful.

fhána opening theme was pretty Top-Tier music
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:03 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

My question is whether the current release offers any significant reason for double (well triple actually) dipping.

The Bandai release didn't have lossless audio. That should be enough of a reason to upgrade for anyone with a home theater.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:16 am Reply with quote
Shaterri wrote:
I'm not sure how well Wolf's Rain has aged. The music is still amazing, of course (my second-favorite Kanno work) and some of the set pieces are excellent, but there's a lot of muddiness in the plot and the series really starts to sag under its own weight after a while.

Does it have anything to do with the record four clip shows in a row? Chobits had three for its 26 episodes but they were spaced out at least

I myself list Wolf's Rain as my second favorite show I'll never watch again.... because of the four OVA episodes. If you've seen them, you know why.

And Nichijou? I love Kyoto Animation and I love Nichijou but my love of the former means I don't buy anything I can't turn off the subtitles which means no sub BDs... well, in general but specifically for Kyo Ani and SHAFT. Now the set has DVDs and going by the price, Funimation's only selling the DVDs and they're throwing in the BDS for free... there has to be a story behind this licensing, somebody thinks it's a throwaway and I cant tell at which end it is... It's already a bestseller as it's cracked Amazon's top ten anime, the closest thing we get to actual numbers in this medium.

If it's Kyoto Animation and they're embarrassed by what they made then I can get it because it's their problem. "We won't give you any materials... in fact, if you want [such and such] series, you have to license this one. Just dump it somewhere at some point."

If it's Funimation then that's our problem. Simuldub after Simuldub made of unknown quality and popularity blindly and they pass on this? I find it hard enough to watch most of them, I wouldn't want to buy them.

And on top of that, it's not streaming. Ok, anime community at large... WTF?
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:05 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
"Danganronpa - Complete Collection" and only contains season 1. Oh Funimation lol.

Well, that is all there is for Danganronpa. It's the complete collection of the anime adapting Danganronpa. Of course it won't collect the 25 episodes of Danganronpa 3. Funimation can't even release that for probably another year, maybe less.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2