• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga storage question/help

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Santoryu16

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Hello peeps I'm in a manga buying spree (goodbye my bank account lol) and I've been storing my new and used mangas in manga bags by ultimate guards. Thing is and it's a bit of a worry for me since I have an ocd personality will the mangas being in the bags be contorted and or mishaped because of the extra cushion of air inside the bags. Basically the bags add a bit of a cushion to the mangas stored on the shelves. Basically down mangas in the middle look like they are getting pushed outward while the edges stay inside. I tried to push all the air out before sealing but it's not a 100% thing. Has anyone had long term experience with manga bags or something similar?
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
You should check out this thread.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
I don't bag my manga. It would be too much of a space waster and looks bad on the shelf. It also makes it difficult to reread volumes. However, I do have extensive experience bagging comic books and some magazines.

It is essential to get the air out of the bag before you seal it. First as, as you have found out, air in the bags makes it impossible to shelve or store them efficiently. Second, the whole point of bagging a publication is to protect it from air and humidity.

After you put a volume in a bag and before you seal the bag, put some weight on it. A heavy book will do fine. Let it sit for a day or so and the bag will conform to the book. At that point you should be able to seal it with out introducing any additional air.

To preserve manga you need to protect it from heat, humidity and above all sunlight. Bags can help with humidity but are mostly just a pain to deal with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1