• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime that transcends its own source material?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:10 am Reply with quote
mbanu wrote:
1. Bunny Drop. Kanta Kamei and Taku Kishimoto's transformation of a kinda creepy loli-incest manga into a completely clean and touching slice-of-life about the struggles of being a single parent is nothing short of miraculous.

Does it even count when all the anime really did was just stop short before the time skip?
Night fox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:30 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Does it even count when all the anime really did was just stop short before the time skip?

The first step to finding out is to vote for it in the new poll. Wink

animenewsnetwork.com/survey/691/
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
In general, I'd say any manga where music is a huge factor (Your Lie in April, BECK, and even things where dialogue is important) will inevitably have a better anime than manga.

Interestingly, the Nausicaa film is worse than the manga even though it has one of the best soundtracks in the history of film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Freelance_Philosopher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
The original Berserk anime.

Yeah I said it.
By removing a lot of the early supernatural elements (especially the god-awful-unfunniest comic-relief-vehicle-fairy-you-know-who) and elaborating on the establishment of Griffith as a military/political genius, saving the supernatural stuff and gradually revealing it, the show focused and expressed the true brilliance of the character dynamics and development that seem sort of buried when you sandwich the Golden Age Arc between the whole overdone arc with the count or duke or whatever and then the super-weak ensemble story that follows in the manga.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Issac Sarrowtail wrote:
Believe it or not, I feel that Sailor Moon is one of these.

I know there are quite a few fans that live by the manga, me? It's the 90's anime. There was more comedy, there was more interaction with characters, they gave us some out right memorable moments that can't be found in the manga (The death of Nephrite, The situation with the Spectre Sisters and their redemption) and to this day we still laugh at the stupidity of it's failures (Really? Kissing Cousins? Of all the things... or the joke of "Talent" among the fans).

Sailor Moon was never prefect, but one of the the biggest thing that made it enjoyable was the changed made to it. Partly due to the format, partly to skirt censors, and partly just because. It's been almost 20 years, and it just sticks in the mind... part of me was hoping that Crystal would amalgamate the two some how, but that is too much to ask.

Maybe some time latter, we will get something that address the gulf that remains between the 90's anime and the Manga, because between the two of them is a story that will likely last.
I think the live action PGSM did the best job of combining the serious plot tone of the manga with the expanded character development of the 90s anime and adding in it's own original plot twists. The more recent Seramyu musicals have all been fantastic creative adaptations of the manga as well. I'll also add Cardcaptor Sakura to this. I think the anime was even better than the already amazing manga because they expanded on the character development and I loved the inclusion of Meiling who is still my favorite CCS character even years later. The beautiful animation and music and Junko Iwao's lovely singing for Tomoyo also really adds to the experience of the series. It probably helped a lot that CLAMP themselves were heavily involved in the anime adaptation.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Kobaysahi-San no meido ragon so far has been also superior in its animated form compared to the original comics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
K-On!
Exceptional slice of life series adapted from a mediocre manga. The show has a lot of great stuff that wasn't in the Manga while excluding the bad stuff from the manga. Perhaps one of the best examples of adaptations surpassing the source material.

This video has a good take on the subject of comparing K-On! the adaptation with the manga:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cELwhYDdSFc

Even the art is improved in the animation, something that's extremely rare, considering it's much harder to draw 12 frames a second than a few manga panels.
Hip2dbeat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Top 2 would be

FMA: Brotherhood
One Punch Man

The anime for OPM gives a lot of life for what ONE tries to portray in his webcomic, and adds on more to the characters that you don't see.

FMA is just a classic masterpiece. One of the best animes ever in terms of everything.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps the biggest example that sticks out to me was Gungrave. Take a subpar sci-fi/ third-person shooter PS2 game and turn it into an engaging and, at times, emotionally powerful action-drama that fleshes out the rise and fall of best friends turned enemies, Brandon Heat and Harry McDowell, as both become involved with a criminal syndicate that have the two eventually taking different paths in the lives they wish to follow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2