• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Matoi the Sacred Slayer (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

And so, once again, the day is saved thanks to the Sacred Slayers! That was their team name or something, right? A good happy ending is completely fine here. Lets talk about magical girls for a bit, this is one, but maybe somewhat odd that lacks certain aesthetic parts that are usual for the genre, Yet the three main characters seemed to have their own. Clarus was quite Western inspired with being dark and broody, while Matoi’s more colourful and perhaps closer to the usual magical girl appearance, and Yuma was silly with a full on Japanese appearance. The three of their styles totally clashed, and yet something this show managed to pull off was to actually make them kind of work together, it did not stick to just the grim side of Clarus, or the daily life parts of Matoi, and Yuma’s comic relief side brightened the mood and also worked.

There was some pretty iffy art in this last episode, in general I think evidence that the series has been kind of unpolished, and perhaps feels like it was written that it could have taken longer to explore parts. But despite that I think it told a good complete story in the 12 episodes. I am quite fond of some of the sound design, the chanting parts were especially effective. Writing I don’t think was always the strongest, but I would say that character writing was well, although maybe I was just particularly fond of the comedic shifts, like when Clarus’ handler was trying to descrete meeting places and just made himself really shady in that he was with an underage girl. It pulled off some okay serious parts, and pretty effortlessly shifted comedy. Like how in the end Matoi is a little turned off from her parents being all lovey dovey.

For a rating, I will go with Good (7/10), about par for the course for an okay anime, and not much in terms of negatives. Except maybe as mentioned above that we had a 14-year-old girl getting nude. But still I would not call Matoi a bad main character, she was normal but not boring, and her relationship with her father was an emotional core of the show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:10 am Reply with quote
Matoi's relationship with her Dad was a real point of interest for me simply because parental-child relationships are so rarely depicted in anime.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:41 am Reply with quote
Finished watching Matoi the Sacred Slayer. The 13th episode or special is a summary of the entire show. Doesn't appear to have any new material. Was wondering if this meant that there would be a second season. Doesn't usually make sense to have a summary, unless there is going to be new material after it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:18 am Reply with quote
That is bizarre, even if (as I hope) there will be a second season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3