• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Black Jack The Movie

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Will, I'm afraid Justin might give you some serious hell for recommending Arcade Gamer Fubuki. His own article on his torture working on it and utter hatred for it is well-worth the read.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote

Now that brings to mind memories of such wholesome matters as themed undergarments and ending songs named thereafter!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'd never thought to see Busou Shinki compared to Hand Maid May. 1) The more obvious comparison is the recently rescued Angelic Layer only this time the battle toys have personalities and 2) Busou Shinki really could have used something as crazy as the Nanbara rap. Or characters like Nanbara and Sara. Or its plot.

Or a plot.

Ok, I really, really love Hand Maid May and all the changes to its characters and plot in its complete 11 episodes and I stopped watching Busou Shinki at episode... 5? 6?... because of total boredom. But, yeah, go watch Hand Maid May, it's good which for a harem means its great.

3 ) May and the other bots... yeah. At first, I was kind of disappointed by it but, honestly, what else could happen? You can't have a guy living with a bunch of tiny girls, it'd be boring!

And I probably should have just posted that.

Nobunagun SAVE is one of the best deals in anime BDs right now. Pity that it didn't sell at all. I stopped watching Drifters right at the moment of "Don't make him Oda, don't make him Nobunaga, don't make him Oda Nobunaga!... Why!?" but Nobunagun survived that particular cut by ensuring the guy was completely dead.

One of Anime's most annoying trends: "We have one cultural hero/villain and he'd be one of the great historical figures on the world stage if it wasn't for the stone cold facts of Japan being an island and his opponents being other Japanese people. But really, he's Alexander the Great, only Japanese!"

And sure, we've pushed Lincoln into the position of vampire killer and zombie hunter but we never made the greatest American politician into a general... I think. Then again, we didn't have to, we have Washington for that.
MadHi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
When I go to an anime con and I meet a group of people who share their likes and dislikes, I always bring up Black Jack and they look at me funny. This is a movie that shouldn't be unknown, it's a great flick.
fathergoat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Will, I'm afraid Justin might give you some serious hell for recommending Arcade Gamer Fubuki. His own article on his torture working on it and utter hatred for it is well-worth the read.

after reading that article I had to order a copy Smile
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see the Black Jack movie getting some love. I first saw it back on SyFy's AniMondays block (which was ridiculously feast-or-famine as far as quality was concerned), and I enjoyed the quality and tone of it enough to track down the DVD a few years later. It's definitely worth a double-dip as far as I'm concerned. Maybe someday I'll get around to watching the Dezaki-directed OVAs too.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I have the old Manga release of the Black Jack movie and it is a great film, have to think about replacing it with the BD if I can spare some money.

If you like the movie the Dezaki-directed OVA's are definitely worth checking out. I recall watching a bunch during Hurricane Sandy a few years back (somehow my electric stayed on all day except for a few brief moments). I own the box sets CPM put out; unfortunately as they were released by CPM they are way out of print.
Jetstream2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
If you have the old Manga Ent. DVD release of Black Jack The Movie, I highly recommend you buy the Discotek Blu-ray. The Manga Ent. DVD is not anamorphic widescreen and the picture quality isn't very good either. Discotek's Blu-ray is a major improvement over those old DVDs.

I'm guessing if the movie doesn't sell well enough for Discotek, they won't license and re-release the OVAs. I really hope enough people buy it because I want those OVAs on Blu-ray.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I will probably get the BD of Black Jack during some future Discotek sale at TRSI once my financial situation gets sorted out. I've had to replace a number of old DVD titles for being non-anamorphic which makes them come up with black bars on all four sides when I play them in my BD player. Changing the aspect ratio on the TV doesn't help as it causes me to lose half the subtitles. I do have an ancient DVD player which can play them at the proper aspect ratio though.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm more of a Black Jack OVA fan than of the movie, though they're both done by Dezaki, in the same style. It's just that Black Jack doesn't really even do anything in the movie that resolves the situation. He's basically just a tourist through the story instead of having a real commanding presence. I do like the style and as it's been mentioned, Kirk Thornton is excellent as the titular protagonist. I also like Mary Elizabeth McGlynn in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:50 am Reply with quote
fathergoat wrote:
after reading that article I had to order a copy Smile

You won't regret it. The video quality is impressive. If Discotek can do an equally good job on the OVAs, then bring it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1