• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Japanese High School Kids Really Hang Out On The Roof/Wear Inside Shoes?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
So, no Nintendo Switch roof parties Sad

Anyway hah? I always thought Japanese schools double the roof as a picnic area for students and so they where designed to be a little more easy to clean then a normal roof. This was to save space or something. You always hear about how limited the space is in Japanese cities.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
If only shoe lockers were actually, ya know, lockable. It'd take out a significant portion of the bullying we see in anime/manga, which often involves hiding, destroying, or tampering with a victim's school shoes or outside shoes.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
The fact that they keep the roof locked so students won't jump off it is a little......depressing. Anime hyper

Uwabaki, eh? I think I'll google some pics of real ones....
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I always thought it was pretty cool Japanese schools allowed their students to eat lunch and hang out on the roof. Our American schools don't have that. The roofs here aren't remotely made for hanging out on. After reading this article, it's upsetting that it's not a common thing over there. That suck. Confused
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
So no school idol concerts on the roof top then?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
If only shoe lockers were actually, ya know, lockable. It'd take out a significant portion of the bullying we see in anime/manga, which often involves hiding, destroying, or tampering with a victim's school shoes or outside shoes.

But where else would shy girls work up the courage to put their love-letters to Senpai?

As for the roof thing, we see elementary schools in anime have funny signs telling kids not to go on the roof, even if the door is locked, but as for high school, think it's more the "Free-spirited rebellion" school trope of kids taking their lunch or Deep Discussions onto the roof even if they're not supposed to.
Fences are common for security, more for the high winds than for jumpers, but like "Sneaking your lunch behind your book during early class", seems to be more of an anime trope than a real one.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Granted, when I was in Osaka I went to a language school where most of the students were well above high school age and not a normal Japanese school, but we did have a nagashi-sōmen party on the roof once. Pretty sure that it was only unlocked for such special occasions though. And yes, it did have those fences around it.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
It's like the American stereotype of high schooler kids going out of campus to get food during lunch time. It doesn't actually happen all that much.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I noticed, at least in anime, that the shoe lockers don't have locks and just about anyone can open them and they usually put love letters in or duel invitations, which probably never happen IRL. But If students get into tussles, wouldn't anyone be concerned that they'll get back at them by taking stealing their shoes or something?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I kind of suspected liberties were taken with using the school roof as some sort of common area. Many of those roofs are show as basically empty space without a place to sit, plus being horizontal would result in what Justin said, puddles and debris collecting.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
I noticed, at least in anime, that the shoe lockers don't have locks and just about anyone can open them and they usually put love letters in or duel invitations, which probably never happen IRL. But If students get into tussles, wouldn't anyone be concerned that they'll get back at them by taking stealing their shoes or something?

Yes, unfortunately, I've heard that this type of bullying IS not much exaggeration from the bullying in real schools. D: They'll not only steal shoes but do things like put garbage in there or other nasty things...
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
It's like the American stereotype of high schooler kids going out of campus to get food during lunch time. It doesn't actually happen all that much.

That depends on where you live I guess... It varies wildly. (Each of the four districts here has a different policy.)
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
The whole changing shoes thing doesn't surprise me (a lot of Asian families are like this at home), but what if a student needs to go from one building to another and there's no connecting hallway? Would they have to change shoes, bring their in door shoes along, and change shoes again? Or are the indoor shoes mostly reserved for classroom use? Confused
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
duel invitations,

are you kidding me ? duel invitations happen all the time, if anything anime does not has enough duel invitations, who more than hlf of them involve bumping shoulders into each other.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
The fact that they keep the roof locked so students won't jump off it is a little......depressing.

Read this and you'll see why: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34105044

Quote:
Last year [2014], for the first time, the most common cause of death of those aged 10 to 19 in Japan was suicide.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4