• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast (Video) - Scum As You Are

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew.bogitsh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
iTunes download is not working for me. Anyone else having an issue?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
andrew.bogitsh wrote:

iTunes and direct-download MP3 both appear to be bad. Looking at the RSS, I don't see an obvious problem, other than that the file is just not there.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Craaaap, I'm nervous about B&B now....I've been looking forward to it so much. REALLY hoping the direction won't bother me. >___<

"That's too EX~PENSIVE!" Anime hyper

Never thought of interpreting Akane's behavior towards Hanabi in that way. Insightful.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I actually watched all of the first six episodes of Kemono Friends and it feels like an educational show for small children. As far as the seeming periphery fandom I think it's more comparable to adults who watch Aikatsu or Pretty Cure as opposed to adult My Little Pony fans or what that has come to mean in recent memory. It's pretty much an ideal "healing Anime" that never really becomes saccharine or boring.

My immutable top three would be Haibane Renmei, Ghost in the Shell, and RahXephon with honorable mentions going to Ginga Tetsudou no Yoru, Fushigi no Umi no Nadia, and Serial Experiments Lain. In fact if I may make another series discussion suggestion Serial Experiments Lain or Fushigi no Umi no Nadia would get my vote.

Sorry to hear it sounds like the Sound Euphonium discussion doesn't sound like it's not going to happen but the Re:Zero one ended up not happening either and I was lurking in the chat during the first attempt at recording that one.

Last edited by Parsifal24 on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
If I may humbly submit a request, it would be for a video review of Beauty and the Beast to take priority over Ghost in the Shell. Just your description of its compositional problems was as entertaining as anything I could expect! Thank you as always.

Admittedly I still hold a degree of fascination towards those corn dogs. Surely the combination of processed sausage and artificially-leavened pancake cannot be that appetising, can it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Admittedly I still hold a degree of fascination towards those corn dogs. Surely the combination of processed sausage and artificially-leavened pancake cannot be that appetising, can it?

It depends on where you get them and how they are prepared. :O

Sand Castle's are not good at all; the little place I work at has good ones; the microwavable ones are pretty bleh....but if I order one from a restaurant, those are normally fine.

I could not eat them every other day though; more like maybe twice a month. Anime hyper And I'd only eat one of them, at that.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
andrew.bogitsh wrote:

iTunes and direct-download MP3 both appear to be bad. Looking at the RSS, I don't see an obvious problem, other than that the file is just not there.

This should be fixed now, thanks for the headsup!
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I actually don't think I want to see a review of B&tB if it is kinda bad. And I am kinda expecting it to be bad. To me, the greatness of the original was in part due to the grandiose, magical nature of it. This version just won't be able to match that. I don't really understand the decision for live action here. It doesn't add anything to a movie that was already close to perfect. If anything, they could have done a full CG remake and at least that could have showcased advances in CG since 1991.

I watched the Jungle Book remake, which was essentially a CG movie aside from the kid. I thought it was OK. Similarly, it didn't add much and I think the animated version is better. However, the CG wolves and tiger were pretty cool. So the only thing I really took from it was that CG animals are getting more advanced. If they wanted they could make a CG version of B&tB and really make a fantastical spectacle of it while maintaining the rock solid story. Maybe they'd wow the critics like the new Mad Max movie did. But yea, I'm expecting this new version of B&tB is going to mainly serve as an opportunity to cash in and re-open the "Disney Vault" to get people to buy the original on blue ray.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
It always surprises me how many anime fans have an immutable "top three" that consists of "Evangelion, Utena, and _____", where "_____" is some deeply emotional show that speaks to them as a person.

For Zac, it's Wolf's Rain.
For Nick Creamer, it's Madoka.
For me, it's Maria-sama ga Miteru.

What strikes me most about people with "Evangelion, Utena, and ____" top threes is how often they disagree about the quality of "____" despite completely agreeing on the merits of the other two shows. Personally, Wolf's Rain wouldn't even make my top twenty, and I'd bet the same is true for Zac and Maria-sama ga Miteru.

(If you want to know the truth, the cynical part of me interprets all this as, "yeah, Utena and Evangelion might technically be the greatest anime ever made, but when push comes to shove, ____ is the sort of thing I really like to watch". Laughing )
Macron One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Kemono Friends has a peculiar charm to it, so i can understand the appeal, even if the level of popularity it's attaining is fairly bizarre. There's a basic childlike sincerity and positivity about the series that feels quite refreshing, and the primitive CG of its production helps to reinforce that impression. The fact that it was produced to promote a mobile app that ended up shutting down even before the series released also kinda makes you want to root for it to do well, so i'm happy that it's finding success.

Regarding the Sound! Euphonium series discussion, if Nick Creamer remains unavailable for the forseeable future, perhaps you could contact Mike Toole or Kevin Cirugeda instead? I seem to recall them following the series with considerable interest and both have contributed articles for ANN on previous occasions.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It always surprises me how many anime fans have an immutable "top three" that consists of "Evangelion, Utena, and _____", where "_____" is some deeply emotional show that speaks to them as a person.

*raises hand*

This AIN'T me at all. Very Happy

I actually hate Utena since I hate most of the characters.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

It should not surprise you that much because Utena and Evangelion are very high quality shows with deep themes. They are not in my top 3 but are in my top 5 and probably will stay there forever.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

I think I would have Utena and Wolf's Rain in my top three, but I don't think I would have Evangelion there, since its a show I respect more than I actually really like or enjoy, weirdly enough. If we're counting films, maybe Millennium Actress would fill that slot.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Amagi Brilliant Park was based on a light novel series from the author of Full Metal Panic.

I'd love to see a series podcast on some 90s shoujo like Fushigi Yugi or Marmalade Boy.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

I'd love to see a series podcast on some 90s shoujo like Fushigi Yugi or Marmalade Boy.

Same. I would love to see one tear both of those shows to shreds like they deserve. Anime hyper

But a podcast on an actual good 90s shoujo like Kaitou Saint Tail would be nice too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5