• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: God Eater Blu-Ray 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Overall (dub) : C
Overall (sub) : C
Story : C

Yeah but Lenka became a Super Saiyan.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I absolutely said that when I was watching. Laughing
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Delicious dub. :D
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Quote:
Overall (dub) : C
Overall (sub) : C
Story : C

Yeah but Lenka became a Super Saiyan.

and the review have probably forgotten that the series is based off of a videogame. it cant expect to have an absolute conclusion or go too deep into the storyline. that is basically what their video game versions are for. which is probably why tales of zestiria the x haven't gone so far into the story in order to prevent any possible spoilers for that game and berseria.

and also this series more or less took place before god eater resurrection . so basically if one wants to know more on what happen since there is a slim chance of this getting a season two, you'll have to play their VG versions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
my problem with anime was feeling like MC got wooden sword. Not even MC like everyone there. Really lame feeling.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:15 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
and the review have probably forgotten that the series is based off of a videogame. it cant expect to have an absolute conclusion or go too deep into the storyline. that is basically what their video game versions are for. which is probably why tales of zestiria the x haven't gone so far into the story in order to prevent any possible spoilers for that game and berseria.

and also this series more or less took place before god eater resurrection . so basically if one wants to know more on what happen since there is a slim chance of this getting a season two, you'll have to play their VG versions.

You're correct about that. The problem that keeps coming up when this is pointed out is that others counter that a game-based anime shouldn't require you to play the game to be able to understand or appreciate it, but I don't agree with that. The whole point of a game-based anime is to be able to expand on the game's story or even improve spottier portions, but only those who actually played it will appreciate any subtle nuances or new twists they put into the show.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I didn't forget it was based on a game, but I lean towards the theory that belvadeer just mentioned - that game-based anime should work sans game, or should at least make me want to play the game, like Tales of Vesperia and Amnesia did, albeit for totally different reasons. God Eater just left me cold, being neither good enough to stand on its own nor good/bad enough to make me want to play the game for the real and/or full story.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:09 pm Reply with quote
When comparing an anime to a game I think it's important to know what was the creator/director's intent. Was he/she trying to have it simply expand upon that pre-exisiting story and world or be a stand alone entry. If the anime is just taking the names and setting and not trying to expand upon that world and just be a retelling if you will then it should be made to draw in new viewers with no knowledge of that world or characters. It should stand alone and make sense without requiring the viewer to have played the game(s) before. Now if it's clearly made to be an extension of that existing story and world, and not just an original project, then yes the viewer should be up to date on the existing material.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Now if it's clearly made to be an extension of that existing story and world, and not just an original project, then yes the viewer should be up to date on the existing material.

Bingo, that's it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1