• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which anime of today will be considered future classics?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
Speaking of which, I was thinking of making a topic about the anime that EVERY anime fan should watch, regardless of quality, simply for the sake of interesting discussions among the fandom. I'm afraid it'll be lumped in with the Lists thread though. Every time I try to make a topic, it seems like it's not allowed for some reason.. :\
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:25 am Reply with quote
Actually, I think that would be a great topic. There's no danger of it being disallowed as long as you provide some reasoning for why those particular titles should be watched.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Also, Shinkai's movies made it out into the wider public, but he's a one trick pony.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Pffft, I wish more directors were "one trick ponies" like him.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
He is good at what he does, not gonna lie.
Velvet_Spaceman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Ambimunch”]-Tokyo Ghoul - Will be considered one of the top shonen series of the decade[/quote]

What makes you think that? I mean maybe it’ll be remembered in the periphery of the cultural eye but I don’t think there’s much to suggest that it’ll become a classic and well remembered a decade from now. As it is there’s already been quite a drop off in attention toward the series and the reception seems mixed at best. AoT seems to have a much better shot at becoming a classic than Tokyo Ghoul.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
I believe that Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid will be forever remembered as a classic by anime fans outside Japan and otaku in Japan. Its a very effective comedy that is very pleasant to watch and perfectly executed while boasting some of the best animation on TV.

Also about remembered: stuff like Evangelion, for instance, are extremely popular among otaku but not fondly remembered by the general public. So you should ask popular among which public?

(1) - General Japanese public
(2) - General non-Japanese public
(3) - Otaku
(4) - Western Anime fans

Stuff like Cowboy Bebop, for instance is regarded as a classic among (4), not so much among all others. Overall, I think that the biggest anime/manga classic which ever existed is Dragon Ball, although it's not popular among adult Western anime fans.

I think Madoka (2011) is already well established as a classic among (3) and (4). While stuff like One Piece is well established among (1) and some young people in (2). I wonder which anime are regarded as classics among Koreans and Chinese anime fans.

louis6578 wrote:
Speaking of which, I was thinking of making a topic about the anime that EVERY anime fan should watch, regardless of quality, simply for the sake of interesting discussions among the fandom. I'm afraid it'll be lumped in with the Lists thread though. Every time I try to make a topic, it seems like it's not allowed for some reason.. :\

My picks would include:

Yo-yo Hakusho - The best example of well done shounen action: an improved Dragon Ball if you will.
Evangelion - It's like THE anime: its the most animeistic anime ever in part because it is a tremendous influence on everything that came after.
Serial Experiments Lain - Very defining of the emerging sophisticated otaku world.
Haibane Renmei - Like Lain but less experimental and also more emotional. Its my personal favorite animation by the way.
Texhnolyze - If Haibane Renmei is the feminine perspective on ABe's work this is the manliest title he did.
Mushishi - The hipster walking in the jungle anime title.
Ping Pong the Animation - Excellent example of sports anime combined with artsy direction and retro art reminiscent of 1970's gekiga manga.
Tatami Galaxy - The artistically sophisticated take on college clubs and the plight of young adulthood.
Kaiba - Ethereal animation at its best: watching it feels like a weird lucid dream.
Azumanga Daioh - Important development of manga/anime being perhaps the first successful cute girls doing cute things show to gain significant traction among fans.
Hyouge Mono - Wanna show someone how mature anime can be? More "boring" than 90% of Asian arthouse films.
Yuri Kuma Arashi - Wanna some symbolism in your cereal? Its title is translated as "lesbian bear storm".
Saikano - Wanna show someone what sci fi adult romance anime can do? Called manipulative by many, actually the manga artist who wrote it based it on his own personal relationships and on himself when he was younger.

Of course. these are among my personal favorites. I also add SAO to the mix which is a hit and miss show but one every animation nerd should know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TenCentFang

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I dunno if the whole "classics" model will survive for much longer. It's outdated. Used to a movie was a great film when it rose above all the white noise that was the rest of cinema by word of mouth, something was a classic or it was barely worth considering, but with mass communication really taking off with the internet, we're able to pick out good stuff a lot faster. Now things are just good or bad, instead of obscure or a handful that are remembered for all time.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Classics would be Astroboy or Mach a go go. Maybe a well regarded Ghibli film, but not throwaway bubblegum series like many titles listed above.

ANN should have a poll for considered classics

Google anime classics there are many, many lists.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
Tokyo ghoul was popular but it won't be a classic. It was way too flawed and doesn't have that added benefit of defining a genre or a generation of anime fans. In that context, the heavily flawed Sword Art Online probably will become a classic, not because of merit from being an excellent piece of work, but instead from being a defining work for its time. Years from now, when people look back at titles that were important during this time, shows like SAO, Attack on Titan, Madoka, Free, and From The New World will be discussed. Tokyo Ghoul is just not in that category.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
I agree with your other titles, but I'm not so sure From the New World has legs. It certainly was admired by those who watched it, but I don't get the sense it has enormous visibility. Certainly nothing on the level like SAO, AoT, PMMM and Free. I'm not even sure it will be a title like Wolf's Rain that most anime fans have probably heard of, but perhaps not actually seen (like myself).
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I agree with your other titles, but I'm not so sure From the New World has legs. It certainly was admired by those who watched it, but I don't get the sense it has enormous visibility. Certainly nothing on the level like SAO, AoT, PMMM and Free. I'm not even sure it will be a title like Wolf's Rain that most anime fans have probably heard of, but perhaps not actually seen (like myself).

I included From the New World in the group because it is simply a superior piece of work that really crosses end encompasses to some extent or another nearly all sub genres of anime that are popular at this time. It is a defining work of our time, and I think will undoubtedly be on any serious list of greatest works of the decade between 2010 and 2020. It is also really an inspired work in the way that they integrated the music into the show. There are a few minor flaws with it, but seriously it is about as close as anime gets to a work of art that is accessible to the masses. It's true that not everyone has seen it, as it doesn't rely on the usual tricks of the trade to bring in the low hanging fruit audience, but I think very few serious anime fans who have watched it would fail to acknowledge that it was a great work for the current time. So, that I think is an example of excellence and overall relevance trumping overall sales as far as classic status.

P.S. I think your analogy to Wolf's Rain is actually perfect, but not because From the New World will emulate Wolf's Rain. I think From the New World is superior to Wolf's Rain in the context of "classic" status, because From the New World is far more accessible to the masses than Wolf's Rain. From the New Worlds narrative is much more straightforward and relies less on ambiguity and misdirection. You don't have to be a philosopher or a person who aspires to philosophical pondering to fully experience and be moved by From the New World, although there are still philosophical questions and answers posed within that show for those who are so inclined. Wolf's Rain though is more difficult to fully experience as just a layman individual seeking moving entertainment. So in that sense, I think it is a good comparison of something that From the New World should surpass as far as classics go.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess we are approaching the notion of what constitutes a "classic" from somewhat different angles. My definition actually doesn't include any consideration of the merits or demerits of the material itself. That's why I heartily agree with your inclusion of SAO on the list. Like you, I consider it a flawed work, but my perception of its popularity makes me feel fairly confident that people will recognize the title and be watching it years and years from now. My mention of Wolf's Rain was an example of a title where I think its name recognition outstrips the proportion of people who have actually seen it. Death Note has huge name recognition and has been widely viewed. Wolf's Rain has a certain level of name recognition but (I'm guessing) the PROPORTION of fans who have actually seen it versus those who recognize the title is a smaller ratio than for, say, Death Note.

So while I have no doubt From the New World has a number of merits (given what I've read about it), I am less sure that 10 years from now if you drop that title in conversation, that a "regular" anime fan will be aware of it. Time will tell, of course.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I suppose my thinking is kind of a mixture of wide popularity and merits+accessibility. I think the accessibility factor is key for the merits part because I personally don't think titles that pander heavily to critics and those who might consider themselves as anime "elite" should be acknowledged as classics. I think a classic has to be at some level for the masses. In that way, a show that is easily accessible and a masterful work that doesn't have a clever or well funded marketing budget can also be considered classic. SAO had a lot going for it. MMOs were still peaking, the trapped in video game concept had been well primed by the Hack series (which had become extremely stale and repetitive by then) and Reki Kawahara was very smart in selling his hook of death in game = death in real life. He already had a popular product before it was animated and the show received a massive, blitzkreig marketing effort (and a correspondingly large animation budget). So, even though the show wasn't a great work in the sense of superior writing and even though the author himself admits that there are serious flaws, it succeeded in large part due to timing and being pushed hard by the production team. Like I said, I consider it a classic because it's success and the production merits (i.e. animation quality, sound, etc...) are undeniable. It will be remembered, mostly for good, many years from now. However, I don't want my analysis to be so limited by the circumstances that work in favor of a show like SAO.

I don't have perfect knowledge of how well From the New World did financially but the vast majority of anime fans I have spoken to are at least aware of it, and are aware of the accolades it has received. So I would suspect that most serious fans of anime who haven't yet seen it will do so at some point. Perhaps that's what separates it from the critically acclaimed show that most fans know little about and will never see.

On that point, I meant to ask, have you seen it? It seemed like you were indicating you haven't yet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the first 13 out of 25 episodes. The only reason why I stopped watching was that I assumed I'd be being the title at some point, so I thought I'd "save" the remaining episodes for when I had a physical copy. As it happens, I have not yet purchased it, although I expect I will at some point. At this remove, I can't say much about the show itself. Clearly, I was enjoying it enough to assume I'd be buying it, but I wasn't being blown away, either. On the other hand, it's not fair to judge a series when you are only half way through. I am aware of its critical acclaim.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3