• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ONIHEI

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:01 am Reply with quote
So the police still just wrote it off as a family dispute after he killed him?

The mother's sudden 180 didn't ring true to me either. I could see her being afraid to intervene, but once she couldn't stand it anymore and risked a beating herself to save him, to suddenly leap to the hateful extreme of "I should never have given birth to you!" rather than a dismayed, "Oh crap, now what am I gonna do?" was a bit hard to buy.

Heizo should have told him, "Work for me for 3 months and if you still want to be executed, so be it." Just accepting his decision while he was in the depths of despair made it feel like he just gave up on him.

Ojun could use a little more discipline.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
Pretty damn good episode once again. Kinda reminded me of the first one. After 2 more lighthearted episodes I was kinda expecting this one to be darker and it totally delivered. This is slowly becoming one of my favorite episodic series of this decade.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There was an odd delay this week when Amazon mistakenly had this episode up with the subtitles for episode seven. I assume I'm not the only one who had this issue?

No you were not the only one to experience that issue. At first I thought they were mistimed but then it became apparent that they were from episode 7. I did send feedback with regard to the issue to them. At least it was better than the last subtitle snafu they had with Battery, where one episode went without subtitles for like a week.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Good to know - I also at first thought it was just mistimed. Out of curiosity, how long did it take them to fix it? I wasn't able to check until this morning (stupid other work), but I did get an email back from them within hours.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I watched it last night. I'm not sure if it had been fixed earlier than that, but it was certainly sometime yesterday, as I checked several times on Monday up through the end of the day.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Since he was deliberately trying to pull a fast one on Heizo, or rather Onihei, it seems a little odd that he wouldn't try to see the face of the man he wanted to humiliate.

He did try to see his face - both times. We saw him standing right over him, but as he said, it was dark (and half his face was covered in blankets) and he couldn't see. Did you want him to light a candle over his head to have a look? Smile

Quote:
are we simply not seeing the cases where he's tougher on criminals

I dunno, I thought he was pretty tough on Kumehachi in the first episode. Nailing his feet to the floor isn't exactly kid-gloves treatment. He's got a fair body count going as well.

This was a fun episode. I'm glad to see his wife showing a bit of personality beyond obedient spouse.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Onihei seems to be a bit of a soft touch when it comes to criminals. Or, to put it another way, we seem to see mostly cases where there is some mitigating factor involved that makes leniency appropriate. Maybe in between episodes, he's loping off heads, left right and centre. (And we actually have seen him do a bunch of killing, too ... mainly when catching thieves/rapists in the act.) I kind of like that we see the more merciful side. It's a nice change of pace from the usual police procedural where the bad guys are almost always irredeemibly bad.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

He did try to see his face - both times. We saw him standing right over him, but as he said, it was dark (and half his face was covered in blankets) and he couldn't see. Did you want him to light a candle over his head to have a look? Smile

Laughing Yes, and then it could have turned into the fairy tale "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" and he could have gone on a quest to find the missing Onihei in a faraway land and been the one to magically wash the tallow/wax from the candle off of his blankets and then he and Onihei could have been bestest buddies for ever and ever!

Ahem. Yes, I see your point. Smile

He was pretty harsh to Kumehachi, so I guess I meant to say that while we've seen trials and executions since, we haven't really seen him do that level of cruelty again, and at least four times now we've seen him offer someone a second chance, or at least an escape from punishment.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I blame the adopted runt. She's turning Oni into a big softie.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:17 am Reply with quote
Now this is how you do a lighthearted episode. I continue to enjoy the hell out of this series (if only we had more like this...) and, by the way, the fireworks scene looked simply gorgeous.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

I guess this explains his more lenient attitude toward thieves as long as they don't hurt people physically during their robberies. There might be a little bit of class warfare in it too - if thieves are making off with hauls that require several men to cart away, the victim is probably going to be fine, and probably didn't earn it all honestly anyway.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
I'm starting to think that every single person that Heizo meets is a thief. He better keep an eye on that cute little adopted brat of his...
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:43 am Reply with quote
I love how this series manages to create memorable characters despite its episodic nature. And I totally need to get a hold of that wonderful ost asap!
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I know I sound like a broken record but it's a crying shame that this series is so ridiculously underrated/underwatched. This episode even got me a bit teary-eyed... such beautiful yet poignant story.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I agree, it is a shame. An unfortunate casualty of being on Amazon Prime instead of CR.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5