• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do Japanese TV Shows Use So Much Anime Music?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:28 am Reply with quote
I've heard of China stealing music from Japan like that drama that used the popular Naruto track, but I'd like to hear examples of Japanese music being used as bgm in the West.
The only one I've encountered is the beginning of the vocaloid song Magnet being used as introduction music to a news special on a city in China Laughing. I was so confused when I heard it, and they repeated that intro several times.

Last edited by Fenrin on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:31 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
One somewhat famous example is the use of "Be My Baby" by the Ronettes in an episode of Monster. This is one of the most valuable properties in all of popular music.

Yet at fifty something, I don't even remember ever hearing that song before. I mean, I must have, I saw Dirty Dancing thirty odd years ago...
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:14 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
I've heard of China stealing music from Japan like that drama that used the popular Naruto track

Oh man, I often hear Naruto or Princess Mononoke OST songs coming from my dad's TV. No, he's not watching anime, he's watching Chinese satellite channels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paiprince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:33 am Reply with quote
ANIMENIAC78 wrote:

Also, there's the case of totally ripping of rhythms, like RADIO FISH ripping off PSY.

Rhythms are fair game to be "ripped off." That's why we hear a lot of similar tunes in different songs and in this case RADIO FISH was parodying PSY's Gangnam Style with Perfect Human.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:43 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
I've heard of China stealing music from Japan like that drama that used the popular Naruto track, but I'd like to hear examples of Japanese music being used as bgm in the West.
The only one I've encountered is the beginning of the vocaloid song Magnet being used as introduction music to a news special on a city in China Laughing. I was so confused when I heard it, and they repeated that intro several times.

Well, there were snippets of that song used in "Loituma Girl" in an Old Spice commercial last year. At least, I think it was Old Spice...it was a series of nonsensical stunts, one of which involved a man standing up on a jet-propelled motorcycle as a city exploded behind him. It's the only thing I remember because that was when the sound clips started showing up in it.

DerekL1963 wrote:
Yet at fifty something, I don't even remember ever hearing that song before. I mean, I must have, I saw Dirty Dancing thirty odd years ago...

My father, who was born in 1949, listened to almost nothing but music from that general time period, so I heard it ad nauseam on the local oldies station growing up.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:08 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
This labyrinth of rights and organizations must pose an even greater obstacle to translations. I've always thought that's why we never see subtitled lyrics at Crunchyroll. It's just not worth it to them to invest the effort and funds required to get the various rightsholders to sign off.

I doubt it; they'll be uptight about reproduction of the song, but not so much a translation of the lyrics. I'd say it's just a matter of Crunchyroll deciding it's not worth the time/effort/expense when they've got almost no time to bang out the script for the whole episode as it is. If rights was an issue, we'd see more DVD and Blu-ray releases that lack song subtitles, but basically all of them have them.

yuna49 wrote:
When a foreign licensor like CR makes a deal for a show, do they need only deal with a single agent, like the representative of the production committee, or do they need to get other organizations like the music companies to license their rights separately as well? Is the music treated as "work-for-hire?"

I expect it'd just be dealing with one agent; the production committee would have sorted out what re-distribution and licensing rights they've got, and most of the time they will have the right to license it on to foreign video distributors. There have been exceptions, but most of them were years ago before they had their collective acts together. Or when an existing Western song was used for the TV broadcast, when TV broadcast is all the rights they could get.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
A thing that sucks is how these music rights can exceed a century as the Berne Convention minimum is life+50 years after last surviving creator.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
I doubt it; they'll be uptight about reproduction of the song, but not so much a translation of the lyrics. I'd say it's just a matter of Crunchyroll deciding it's not worth the time/effort/expense when they've got almost no time to bang out the script for the whole episode as it is.

Funi used to have the lyrics translations for many (but by no means all) current season streams... not for the first ep, but usually by the third or fourth. They gradually had fewer and fewer, and now essentially none.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
This labyrinth of rights and organizations must pose an even greater obstacle to translations. I've always thought that's why we never see subtitled lyrics at Crunchyroll. It's just not worth it to them to invest the effort and funds required to get the various rightsholders to sign off.

I doubt it; they'll be uptight about reproduction of the song, but not so much a translation of the lyrics. I'd say it's just a matter of Crunchyroll deciding it's not worth the time/effort/expense when they've got almost no time to bang out the script for the whole episode as it is. If rights was an issue, we'd see more DVD and Blu-ray releases that lack song subtitles, but basically all of them have them.

I share your assessment. I've noticed that Funimation's simuldubs frequently don't have translations for the theme songs, or start using them after several episodes, but by the time the discs release, they are translated. Given how fast and how much anime is being released by both companies, anything that is nice but not crucial is saved for later.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
My father, who was born in 1949, listened to almost nothing but music from that general time period, so I heard it ad nauseam on the local oldies station growing up.

I was born in 1949 myself. In 1964 I was in a carpool going to school and heard "Be My Baby" and other great songs on the radio every day. It really was an extraordinary time in popular music as the older, more conservative styles of performers like Frankie Avalon were smashed by the dual blows of Motown and the Beatles.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
It really was an extraordinary time in popular music as the older, more conservative styles of performers like Frankie Avalon were smashed by the dual blows of Motown and the Beatles.

Went through the same experience in the early 80's when a friend turned me on to New Wave and the Second British Invasion... After the prefab Disco era, it blew my mind. Then came MTV and times were really good until Corporate Monolithic Media took over in the mid 80's.

Then I had the good fortune to move to the Seattle area as Grunge was being born...

As a side note... it always amazes me how many older otaku there are.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
@DerekL1963

Be My Baby by the Ronnetts came out in 1963. That was the year I graduated from high school, but I suspect you may have been too young to remember the song. Ronnie Spector reprised her vocal in the cover by Eddie Rabbit.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
One fantastic example of the borrowing of other music is Ninja Warrior. Find a Japanese version of Sasuke and you'll hear all sorts of music. Someone even made an Excel spreadsheet of the songs they use every year.
Laethiel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed a few anime/game BGMs in the Begin Japanology series.

The song that starts here in the Miyazawa Kenji episode is Tooi yakusoku wa... from Spice and Wolf.

In the Kiriko Cut Glass episode, there's more Spice and Wolf music, this time Hajimete no Mura.

It seems to have been mostly muted in this video, but the Conveyor Belt Sushi episode (better one here if it isn't blocked) uses Last Dungeon ~ Theme of Dewprism from Cafe SQ, a remix CD.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:39 am Reply with quote
In addition to the 3 legal rights Justin mentioned, outside of the situational fair use/something similar, there is the the public domain. Public domain sound recordings here in the USA are hard to come by with copyright extensions. However, the Library of Congress has plenty.

As much of a copyright minimalist and public domain maximalist as I am, I understand that it is also important to come up with one's own ideas rather than just make a modern version of a public domain character. That same argument applies to those that love using the public domain but refuse to their own versions expire (Walt Disney Studios, I am looking at you).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2