• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game, Round 15

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
The context is wrong and not in spoiler tags (EDIT: okay you fixed that but still messed up your tags), so I still won't accept it. I think you've used up your correction chances.

Also for future reference, if I'm willing to let some one fix their answer I always say so first. If I don't then you'll have to accept your loss.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Then explain this:

Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
What's to explain? I say you're wrong and that's that. I'll tell you more specifically once some one picks up the easy win.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Explain why I am wrong.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
You posted a wrong answer and I already declared it as such. After that point I have no obligation to accept any corrections.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Come on, guys. I'm not posting any more hints so some one just take this round out back and shoot it already.
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Akutagawa] speaking to spoiler[Atsushi] when spoiler[Akutagawa attempted to capture Atsushi alive (again)]. From spoiler[Bungou Stray Dogs].
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I said Hikari was wrong when she posted that, so I can't very well say you're right for posting it either.

Hint #3: spoiler[Akutagawa is very much trying to kill Atsushi, not take him alive.]
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:10 am Reply with quote
So... maybe spoiler[this is Akutagawa (B) speaking to Atsushi (A) as he is trying to captu- I mean trying to kill him? They seem to be fighting each other and Akutagawa doesn't seem to like Atsushi very much. Bungou Stray Dogs.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:41 am Reply with quote
Sure, I'll take it. spoiler[It's from their fight in episode 10.]
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:57 am Reply with quote
Quote removed.

Last edited by Cam0 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
As scorer I'm giving Hikari14 the point for Vaisaga's quote unless, Vaisaga, you give me a good reason why I shouldn't.

1. Hikari14 identified the speaker of the quote.

2. They gave the same context as Cam0 except that Cam0 wrote "spoiler[trying to captu- I mean trying to kill him?]" Is this differing interpretation the basis of your decision?

3. Hikari14 fixed the tags and provided context after you asked them to and before you said you wouldn't accept their answer - check the time stamps.

4. Don't try and argue that Hikari14 didn't identify characters A and B. They did. Rule 10 says, "Answers must specify the speaker of the bolded quote." This rule works two ways. It requires the guesser to correctly identify that person AND, because they must identify the speaker of the bolded quote, the poster of the quote must accept that's whom they are talking about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
So it's Hikari's turn then, right? I removed my quote.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
As scorer I'm giving Hikari14 the point for Vaisaga's quote unless, Vaisaga, you give me a good reason why I shouldn't.

1. Hikari14 identified the speaker of the quote.

2. They gave the same context as Cam0 except that Cam0 wrote "spoiler[trying to captu- I mean trying to kill him?]" Is this differing interpretation the basis of your decision?

3. Hikari14 fixed the tags and provided context after you asked them to and before you said you wouldn't accept their answer - check the time stamps.

4. Don't try and argue that Hikari14 didn't identify characters A and B. They did. Rule 10 says, "Answers must specify the speaker of the bolded quote." This rule works two ways. It requires the guesser to correctly identify that person AND, because they must identify the speaker of the bolded quote, the poster of the quote must accept that's whom they are talking about.

1.) She did not. At least, not initially. I said she was wrong and she corrected it even though I did not give her permission to do so.

2.) Capturing some one alive and trying to kill them are completely different contexts. Only the latter was correct in this case.

3.) And she got the context wrong as I explained above. She put me in a bad position by correcting her guess without me letting her since it gave away the answer to everyone else. So I figured I'd at least give her the chance to give an answer that would satisfy me. She did not. The rules clearly say such things are at my discretion.

4.) Again, she had it wrong at first. In answers that don't label with letters, the subject of the answer will be taken as being the bolded speaker. "This [the bolded quote] is Bolded talking to Unbolded." So an answer of "Unbolded talking to Bolded" is obviously wrong.

As the quote poster "because I say she's wrong" is really the only reason you need. I hate these rules that coddle the guesser while being super strict on givers. The game should be fun for both parties, not just the one.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
As you said, it's supposed to be fun for both parties, not just the one, and in this case, it was fun for you and you alone. And as for coddling the guesser, you coddled them. Your hint 4 basically tells them what to say.

Also, the rules clearly say identifying the speaker and the addressee is enough context, so what exactly gives you the right to demand more context than rules specify? Yes, the quote poster can be as strict or lenient as they want to, but once I was chastised for trying to be strict, so how come you are allowed to be strict and the rest of us aren't?

And with this, I resign to the final judgment.

Last edited by Hikari14 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 91 of 101