• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Are Anime Music Videos A Dying Art?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
The problem is most of them are terrible. I'm okay with creative stuff like AMVhell, but when the majority of them are generic Jump show footage overdubbed with some crappy emo band, It gets irritating really quick Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the reason is that, with the rise of YouTube and easier video-making services, literally anyone can make an AMV. And because of that, there became an excess of them, causing them to become little more than an Internet trend.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
The article does not mention this, but have copyright infringement issues negatively affected the AMV scene?
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I like many people made at least on AMV when I was trying to find my internet "voice" so to speak.

It was a Tenchi Muyo one set to "He love u not" by Dream.

If I were to find it I would probably think it wasn't good. I have considered doing a thing call "Anime Hell Rip-off (insert number here)" but those have been weird thoughts when I was bored.

I'm now a rather well known fanfic writer, so that's my place on the web with no interest in doing any more.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Junizorofan was my favorite amv artist but she rarely comes out with them ever since she started college. Some of her videos are still on youtube but alot were taken down due to copyright laws.

It's been years since I seriously looked for great amv's but all the really good ones I did find I downloaded on my phone and still enjoy them today.

And what do you have against Linkin Park (aka: greatest band eva)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I think that poster must either be nuts or has never been to an anime convention. Rolling Eyes

Contests are everywhere.
klv
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
What about anime crack videos? 5-10 second bits of the show set to different audio, including music, mostly memes. These pop up all over the place on YouTube. I remember them showing up for Yuri!!! on Ice within the first week of episode 1's release. It isn't really an AMV, but it does remind me of AMV Hell.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I think I came to believe AMVs were a bigger thing in general fandom than they probably are, because my first regular con was Anime Weekend Atlanta, at which AMVs are a major presence. I went back for the first time in years in 2015 and it was still almost impossible to get a seat in the grand ballroom for the 2-hour AMV awards. By comparison, I've never even sought out AMVs at other big cons like Anime Central and Youmacon.

BTW, good call on the Russian stuff. I see a lot of stuff from an "Akross"(?) contest on the "Best AMVs of All Time" channel on YouTube, and the technical achievements are staggering.
Jex2193

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
The article does not mention this, but have copyright infringement issues negatively affected the AMV scene?

They have for me in that it's harder to find motivation in editing with about 1/3 of mine blocked but I'm still interested in making them somewhat.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
At least at the con I go to, the biggest room is used for the AMV contest, and even then one of the screening rooms is used beforehand so the judges can narrow down the number of videos since there wouldn't be enough time for all of them in the biggest room. The attendees are allowed to go to the pre-screening too.

AMVs probably aren't going to seem like a big thing because you're already dealing with a niche thing like anime fandom, and narrowing it even more since people would have to like the show and/or song involved.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I still love AMVs. Timing an emotional sequence to music never fails to give me shivers. My favorite types are the action ones (Vintage Misery) or the dramatic ones (A New Hope). I also love AMVs that try to tell a story, even if that story is different from the original show (i.e. Our Tapes, Traumerei, Whisper of the Beast).

While I will often rewatch old faves, I tend to only check out new ones once a year, timing them with AMV.org's VCA contest (which is going on right now). Occasionally, I will watch one on youtube or a video that's been linked on tumblr for a show I like (I've seen several for Yuri!!! on Ice), but I tend to prefer videos with higher quality graphics (and no subtitles).

Something different now from back in the mid-2000s is that, when we watched AMVs back in the day, by the time the anime legally made it over to the states, several AMVs already existed online for that series. So if you mainly watched things by legal means, you'd already have a large selection to go through. Now, with streaming services, you have to wait weeks to months past starting the show to get a decent selection of AMVs, and several of those may include subtitles. If you're already moving on to the next best show, you might be missing out on some of the best selection to come.

Also, as mentioned, there's just so many more options of things to watch now with streaming that AMVs have to fight for time.

But, yeah, AMVs are still big things at conventions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Every time I go to a con (usually my close local con) I love going to the AMV contest. It's always fun to how creative they can be. Surprisingly many of them have still found their way onto YouTube even with content ID and that becoming a thing, that's what turned me away from making AMVs years ago. That and I was just kind of mediocre at it anyway.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
The problem is most of them are terrible. I'm okay with creative stuff like AMVhell, but when the majority of them are generic Jump show footage overdubbed with some crappy emo band, It gets irritating really quick Evil or Very Mad

Even worse, most were made just to exploit some cheap title pun of the song and the show, or put some cute love or dirty-rap song to the AMV'ers shipping-couple of choice.

Few ever caught the style of the individual show, and paid artistic homage to the tone that only the inside fans knew the show for, like the classic "Lord of the Yen" for Azumanga Daioh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ql83ee47HE
(Which I would arguably nominate for THE greatest AMV ever made, unless someone can track down that "New World Symphony" opening film shown at the '94 AnimEast NJ convention, one of the first founding moments of the fandom.) Very Happy

The other problem is that AMV's hit their height during the "secret" days of 90's anime fandom, when fans struggled alone in the Internet/convention jungle, anime wasn't a mainstream thing, and cult fans were more mad-monks about it. Saying that you'd seen UY or Gundam was more mystical than a new kid today saying he watches Fairy Tail or Naruto, and making aforementioned bad-cutesy-video about it.
When YouTube was more flooded with the latter than with actual clips or episodes of a show, the novelty wore off fast. Mad
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I still love AMVs. Timing an emotional sequence to music never fails to give me shivers.

Hal Om Mig Nu gets me the most shivery. :'D

When it came out, I just watched it over and over and over and OVER....drove everyone around me nuts. Anime hyper

Also got lots of people wanting to see Princess Tutu. So everybody wins. :'D
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I used to be so addicted to amvs. The first one I watched was for CCS set to at the beginning. You can still find that one on youtube. I was obsessed with watching them and then got into making them. My first one was shitty, but I eventually learned to make some pretty good ones. I stopped making them around sophomore year of college, but I'm proud to say one of my best ones was uploaded to youtube under a user claiming it to be hers (always a sure sign you've made something of quality, lol Rolling Eyes ). My amv account is still around so if anyones intetested in seeing videos I made as a teen my amv handle is glamgurl3888.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7