• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
World War Witches

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
Tanya has to stay stationary for her strongest attack, which leaves her very vulnerable. Izetta specializes in magic and mobility and would thus provide a bigger challenge, but she lacks the firepower.

Though I am obviously biased, I still give the edge to the 502nd (except Hikari, of course)
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I would argue the Tanya would mop the floor with Izetta,Tanya would go full on loli mode, get in close and in some over the top sadistic manner butcher Izetta.

Examples of these tactics would be her first deployment where she took on a Entente Alliance company and her "warning" just before destroying a major arms complex in the capital of Dacia.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea who wrote the blurb for this piece because saying that alternate history military witch is a major thing in anime right now strikes me as a misguided notion. Izetta and Maria the Virgin Witch are the only shows I am aware that fit the description of alternate history military witch to me. And the witches in Strike Witches don't really fit the mold of the classic witch.

2 shows might make it a fad but not a movement. But if the article argues that military is kind of a big thing in anime right now, I agree.
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
There is only one witch of the airs and her name is Tanya Degurechaff. All of us filthy peasants shall bow before her! (honestly who would want to make an enemy out of her) I doubt if anyone will remeber Izetta one year later but I'm sure Tanya has a long way ahead. There are no comparisons here to be made.

And for the writers who complain that they can't write female characters, here's a little advice: If you want to avoid your character being written as a walking boob-ass stereotyped cliche (IF!), and you are struggling for some reason, just try to imagine that she's a guy on the inside. Look where that got Tanya. Her journey is just beginning and she's already one of the most nicely crafted female characters with tremendous potential for development I've seen in years, despite the fact that she's a loli. Why? Maybe because she's supposed to be a salary-man on the inside? (no I'm not spoiling it's in the series summary) Would it have been any different if she had been a salary-woman with the same character traits? Simply maybe the writer is just that good? Makes you wonder.
GoldenPincers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Between Tanya and Izetta, I would say Izetta wins, because of her superiority in versatility, speed, and attack frequency. Tanya has more destructive power, but her most powerful spells take time to charge, while Izetta's powers don't need charging. Izetta can fly at over 700 km/h (the speed of the fastest WWII planes) and I doubt Tanya can fly that fast.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Submit this to Screw Attack, I want to see this in Death Battle.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
GoldenPincers wrote:
Between Tanya and Izetta, I would say Izetta wins, because of her superiority in versatility, speed, and attack frequency. Tanya has more destructive power, but her most powerful spells take time to charge, while Izetta's powers don't need charging. Izetta can fly at over 700 km/h (the speed of the fastest WWII planes) and I doubt Tanya can fly that fast.

Actually she's specified in episode 2 as flying at 400 km/h, which was slower than I had thought. And since the series mostly takes place in 1940, that means she doesn't get to match up against the fastest of WWII-era planes. (Which, BTW, top out at considerably faster than 700 km/h. There are nine German models that had reported top speeds of 1,000 kph or greater, but those were all in 1945.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
"Mano-a-Mano" means hand-to-hand, i.e. unarmed combat, not man-to-man.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Tanya shield would let her win easily. Izetta relied on storm trooper accuracy to make it out of fire fight alive, Tanya has shield and an homing bullet attack. It would be a non contest, plus she could just fly high up in the air where Izetta can't grab and throw anything at her, she's be forced to lob stuff from the ground which would be easy to avoid.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I will add this ,Tanya's powers and stats are not fully portrayed or revealed in the current anime.
Also Tanya's Type 95 ,as of now in the anime, is on the level of a early WWII fighter.

But my point is Tanya is a mature,ruthless,sadistic,driven 'salaryman',in a child's body.
Meanwhile Izetta is a immature.kind hearted,innocent child in a teenager's body.

Tanya would out-think & outwit Izetta,really think Izetta would fight against Tanya in her loli dress using and her loli voice?
sirdano1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
This is silly because they'd all just sit down, have cake and be lesbians together.

I'm also deeply offended this article forgot about the 501st, seeing as they started the trend and all.
Koda89

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I think Tanya would win thanks to her illusionary magic. Yes Tanya's strongest big badda boom magic takes time to charge, but she could easily lead Izetta into the clouds, pop an illusion clone, and charge the spell and take out Izetta. And Izetta probably fall for it hook, line, and sinker.

Plus the whole Izetta needing a lot of conditions going her way to even have a chance against Tanya means Tanya wins over and over. The only way Izetta wins is with the utmost perfect conditions, which is something you just can't rely on.
RyuuGP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I think it's still too early to Let Tanya in any fight, because we still don't know her full power or her weakness. Well there is that cast time for her strongest magic as her weakness, but maybe we will see more.

For Izetta, i have only watched few episodes, but if i'm not mistaken, she uses other objects to be her shield, so i think she really depends on the environment. If there are no objects at the battlefield that can be used for shield, she will be at disadvantage.

Quote:
I have no idea who wrote the blurb for this piece because saying that alternate history military witch is a major thing in anime right now strikes me as a misguided notion. Izetta and Maria the Virgin Witch are the only shows I am aware that fit the description of alternate history military witch to me. And the witches in Strike Witches don't really fit the mold of the classic witch.

I don't think Maria the virgin witch is a military witch because she is not part of France military and so she is just "witch".
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:
I'm also deeply offended this article forgot about the 501st, seeing as they started the trend and all.

It didn't forget about it at all; Strike Witches did get mentioned as an example of militarized magic. The 501st doesn't figure into the rest because its series are well out of the "past couple of seasons" time frame.

On a different point, I would agree that a high-altitude battle would decidedly favor Tanya, whereas a low-altitude battle where Izetta could use resources at hand would give Izetta a stronger position.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Chocoreto wrote:
And for the writers who complain that they can't write female characters, here's a little advice: If you want to avoid your character being written as a walking boob-ass stereotyped cliche (IF!), and you are struggling for some reason, just try to imagine that she's a guy on the inside.

I get what you're trying to say, but come on. The solution to "I can't write female characters" isn't "write a male character and give him a vagina".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2