• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bakemonogatari

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:18 am Reply with quote
I find it very easy to conceptualise the sexual harassment in Monogatari Series, especially with Mayoi, as silly anime humour, much easier than in series with less explicit material. It's so theatrical and divorced in tone, style and actuality from anything I could take seriously that it would be honestly difficult to conceive of it as unpleasant or off-putting. I could just as easily (read: it would be as hard to) think Karen was a monster for beating Koyomi to death a hundred times in their "fight" before Koyomi goes to confront Kaiki in Nise. Obviously I'm not saying Nick or anyone else's opinion is invalid or they're wrong for being bothered by it, but personally? I have barely a shred of distaste that I might have for such material in another series. Or, hey, how about the scene in Kizu III when he spoiler[manipulates Hanekawa into letting him grope her boobs and teases her mercilessly before he goes to fight Kiss-Shot]? That scene was horrifyingly funny, but it was also... well, horrifying. The discomfort in that scene was palpable and kind of uncomfortable to watch. I get none of that ugly, visceral grossness from the scenes with Mayoi ninety-plus percent of the time she and Koyomi are on screen together. They're feel like bros who mess around with each other, and then one's a lolicon and the other's a loli, so their interactions take that turn in a tone I couldn't conceive of as upsetting if I tried.

The episode overall is one of the finest of Bake to me, along with the last of the TV airing series and the conclusion to Hanekawa's arc, and the resolution to Mayoi's story's one of the franchise's most poignant moments. The coda with Senjougahari is lovely as well, and well placed, with her subplot well integrated into the arc overall. She's a great character, overshadowed somewhat by, in order, Hanekawa, Mayoi, Shinobu and the true best girl Kaiki, and when the story uses her well Senjougahara is fascinating. She's great in this arc and it's kind of unfair that Mayoi Snail has these double advantages over the comparatively lacklustre following two arcs – but Tsubasa Cat is a great climax to Bake, which I still consider the strongest animated entry in the franchise (well, except Kizu now it's finished, but it doesn't feel an equal comparison somehow).
Kreion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:23 am Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:

Well, DX D is pretty much accepting of its position as a generic harem and Monogatari isn't...also you don't know what pretentious means if you think Medaka Box was pretentious lol.

DxD isn't generic because unlike most other "harem" series, it actually has polyamory as the main point, unlike stuff like to love ru and bakemonogatari that try to go with the whole "who will the main character choose a series a final love interest" that plagues modern harem series.

And Medaka Box is pretentious because it tries and fails at mocking the Shonen Genre with the obvious underlying intent of trying to be subversive for the sake of it with no real meaning.[/quote]

Wow, so original, almost like To Love Ru already did that, I mean I had never heard of it before :v Also polyamory is just the easiest route, you are removing the weight on the protagonists shoulders.

It's subversive for the sake of being subversive, NisiO often writes with the intent of questioning some generic - which is exactly what Medaka Box does. It spends a while setting up a generic shounen world so it can question it in the election arc, question the 'perfect' main character. For the many flaws Medaka Box has, no it's not really pretentious because it tends to convey its ideas pretty bluntly.

JesuOtaku wrote:

Now seems like a good time to say that if this thread breaks into anything that looks even remotely like defense of pedophilia moving forward, offenders will be banned on the spot, no exceptions. This is your first and final warning.

Yes, because that's exactly what the poster was saying. What a reasoned and balanced response.
aifhak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:42 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
I find it very easy to conceptualise the sexual harassment in Monogatari Series, especially with Mayoi, as silly anime humour, much easier than in series with less explicit material. It's so theatrical and divorced in tone, style and actuality from anything I could take seriously that it would be honestly difficult to conceive of it as unpleasant or off-putting. I could just as easily (read: it would be as hard to) think Karen was a monster for beating Koyomi to death a hundred times in their "fight" before Koyomi goes to confront Kaiki in Nise. Obviously I'm not saying Nick or anyone else's opinion is invalid or they're wrong for being bothered by it, but personally? I have barely a shred of distaste that I might have for such material in another series. Or, hey, how about the scene in Kizu III when he spoiler[manipulates Hanekawa into letting him grope her boobs and teases her mercilessly before he goes to fight Kiss-Shot]? That scene was horrifyingly funny, but it was also... well, horrifying. The discomfort in that scene was palpable and kind of uncomfortable to watch. I get none of that ugly, visceral grossness from the scenes with Mayoi ninety-plus percent of the time she and Koyomi are on screen together. They're feel like bros who mess around with each other, and then one's a lolicon and the other's a loli, so their interactions take that turn in a tone I couldn't conceive of as upsetting if I tried.

The episode overall is one of the finest of Bake to me, along with the last of the TV airing series and the conclusion to Hanekawa's arc, and the resolution to Mayoi's story's one of the franchise's most poignant moments. The coda with Senjougahari is lovely as well, and well placed, with her subplot well integrated into the arc overall. She's a great character, overshadowed somewhat by, in order, Hanekawa, Mayoi, Shinobu and the true best girl Kaiki, and when the story uses her well Senjougahara is fascinating. She's great in this arc and it's kind of unfair that Mayoi Snail has these double advantages over the comparatively lacklustre following two arcs – but Tsubasa Cat is a great climax to Bake, which I still consider the strongest animated entry in the franchise (well, except Kizu now it's finished, but it doesn't feel an equal comparison somehow).

yeah I pretty much agree with this. Except for maybe the very last part. I'm not really a fan of Tsubasa Cat and I personally would rate Kizu as a whole on the lower end of the spectrum within the monogatari franchise (though not the worst), but that wasn't really the point of the post Rolling Eyes
So yeah, I agree with the above. Episode5 of Bakemonogatari for me was one of the best episodes of the franchise and probably the point at which I went from "yeah... I'm enjoying this but I don't really know why" to "okay this is my new fav. show" the first time I watched. Because I certainly remember going through episodes 3 and 4 with some issues and 5 had me grinning like crazy at the end.
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I just finished reading the novel version of Mayoi Snail. I think it conveys a lot more of Araragi's thoughts of self-loathing as he basically harasses and beats up what he thinks is a normal 5-6th grader. I guess it's supposed to be funny that he keeps being put in these situations where he winds up degrading himself to the point that he thinks "man, I'm a horrible person, aren't I?" In other words, even he is having a hard time sympathizing with himself. But I agree, it does just get sort of tiresome.

There were also an annoying amount of times where Araragi thought to himself "I'd totally be getting off on this if I was a pedophile. Good thing I'm not! Har har har!" Neither the character Araragi nor the writer NisiOisin are unaware of what they're doing. I just don't understand why they're doing it.

I think what people are getting at is this. How can you tell such a serious story about the lifelong damaging effects of parents failing to protect their daughter from childhood rape (see Hitagi Crab) and then the very next episode turn around with jokes sexualizing a prepubescent grade schooler? It definitely seems tonally out of place.

Still, this was one of my favorite episodes too. The twist resolution to the mystery and the sudden love confession were both so unexpected. But I've found it doesn't have nearly the impact it originally had on a rewatch. Maybe this ties in with what NisiOisn wrote in the afterward for this book (and I'm significantly paraphrasing from my poor memory here). Basically reading books or watching movies is 36% the author's intent and 64% misunderstanding. In other words people really resonate with books and films simply because they fill in the gaps with their own imagination of what they needed/wanted out of it. Have you ever gone back to read a book that had a big impact on you only to discover that it wasn't really anything special?

Also, seriously, when are we gonna get another book from Kaiki's perspective?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Given that the Off-Season novels have all been focusing on side characters and their stories, I'd say the chances are as big as they've ever been for another Kaiki novel.
aifhak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Given that the Off-Season novels have all been focusing on side characters and their stories, I'd say the chances are as big as they've ever been for another Kaiki novel.

Musubimonogatari was the last book for the Off-Season though. The next vol (Shinobumonogatari) will start the new Monster-Season

(I haven't gotten around getting a copy of, or reading Musubimonogatari yet, so idk if that itself had Kaiki...)
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I didn't expect the review to pop up today, it's usually on tuesdays, but whatever, it was a really good episode so it's appreciated, actually.

In fact, sans the stupid joke Mayoi makes about grade schoolers, it was an excellent episode in almost all fronts. Excellent dialogue, absurd yet not eye-rolling and funny, visually engaging and very cool backgrounds. Also Araragi got beautifully decked in the face, in fact, that punch almost went through his whole mouth.

This Araragi-Senjougahara conversation has been my favorite, way better topics of discussion other than Araragi just being an idiot, and I love how first couple it feels.

On the other hand, Suruga, whom until now was Senjougahara with a haircut for me, has me intrigued. Her ice breaking line about the news was way more hilarious than Senjougahara's in the park, and the overall idea of the "harem" girls having going-ons between them is really interesting. After a so-so arc, this was definetely a high on my list.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Worth noting since IIRC the US release never makes it explicit and it's a perfect example of the series' approach to language: The 'Valhalla' combo here is (of course?) Baru-Hara, from KanBARU and SenjogaHARA.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Why does episode 6's review have the widget for rating it but the other episodes don't? Is it accidentally taking something else's score?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Why does episode 6's review have the widget for rating it but the other episodes don't? Is it accidentally taking something else's score?

No, it just automatically generates. Usually, I manually take it out, but I've been out sick with the flu, so I didn't put this one up. I'll fix it now, it isn't hurting anything though.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Neat! Thanks, that was getting me confused. Hope you're feeling better now.
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
This episode felt like Bakemonogatari just doing usual exercise, it wasn't entirely boring, but it certainly wasn't as funny or good looking as the previous one. Kanbaru is...she is cool, but I'm not that intrigued by her so far, her jokes are more easy to read but they kinda fall flat if not for Araragi's hilarious reaction. I was especially confused when she is talking about her being a replacement for Senjougahara's body, like, "Where is she even going with this, does she prefer to have sex with a guy so she can date Senjougahara?"

I think I prefer when Bakemonogatari gets a little more extravagant and ambitious, in fact, my favorite shot this episode was Senjougahara on top of Araragi, just because. I do believe next episode has a very famous sequence which I'm looking forward to.
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'll have to double post this time around.

Regarding the finale of Kanbaru's story, it was good, but it was a little long somehow. By the end of its second episode I already felt like we covered enough of what Kanbaru's drama had to offer, and the third episode, while it had a fantastic visual spectacle, I was mostly waiting for it to be over and done with because the conclusion seemed quite obvious.

Now about this episode, I was stoked for it, because I love this girl's hair and overall look, it's one of my favorite types of hair in character design. But I walked away a little disappointed.

I think I'm going to disagree with Nick here about the last scene, because I can buy that what the show's intention is to show Sengoku's discomfort with her own body, the problem is what Araragi and Kanbaru do. When she strips they literally do the 4 Gaijin meme, and there's a whole segment of them talking about her bloomers.

Now, that's not really my problem, Araragi and his lesbian friend Kanbaru talking about what clothes they think are sexy and bouncing off one another like in the scene before is great, it's my favorite part about Kanbaru. The thing is, it's a middle schooler, and we're seeing her blushing and covering her boobs and the camera shots are all sexualized, but Araragi says that it makes him uncomfortable and then joke with Kanbaru so it was just joking, haha! Nope. It works just as good as Mayoi's jokes about Araragi being a pedophile (while clearly showing how he grabs her boobs accidentally), that is to say, it doesn't work at all.

Hanekawa's part kind of...bored me, I don't think she brought in any new information. Hell, all of what she talked about were things that Senjougahara sees in a completely different light, and the fact that we know Kanbaru is a lesbian makes most of what she talks about pretty useless, I'm sure it will have relevance eventually but yeah, felt mostly unnecessary other than hinting at her own arc.

So other than the opening sequence which had very refreshing and very neat visuals, this episode left me rather uninterested, especially since Sengoku's thing is so last minute. From the preview it seems like a whole freaking lot will happen next episode so I can get my hopes up again.
aifhak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Guess I'll have to double post this time around.

Regarding the finale of Kanbaru's story, it was good, but it was a little long somehow. By the end of its second episode I already felt like we covered enough of what Kanbaru's drama had to offer, and the third episode, while it had a fantastic visual spectacle, I was mostly waiting for it to be over and done with because the conclusion seemed quite obvious.

Now about this episode, I was stoked for it, because I love this girl's hair and overall look, it's one of my favorite types of hair in character design. But I walked away a little disappointed.

I think I'm going to disagree with Nick here about the last scene, because I can buy that what the show's intention is to show Sengoku's discomfort with her own body, the problem is what Araragi and Kanbaru do. When she strips they literally do the 4 Gaijin meme, and there's a whole segment of them talking about her bloomers.

Now, that's not really my problem, Araragi and his lesbian friend Kanbaru talking about what clothes they think are sexy and bouncing off one another like in the scene before is great, it's my favorite part about Kanbaru. The thing is, it's a middle schooler, and we're seeing her blushing and covering her boobs and the camera shots are all sexualized, but Araragi says that it makes him uncomfortable and then joke with Kanbaru so it was just joking, haha! Nope. It works just as good as Mayoi's jokes about Araragi being a pedophile (while clearly showing how he grabs her boobs accidentally), that is to say, it doesn't work at all.

Hanekawa's part kind of...bored me, I don't think she brought in any new information. Hell, all of what she talked about were things that Senjougahara sees in a completely different light, and the fact that we know Kanbaru is a lesbian makes most of what she talks about pretty useless, I'm sure it will have relevance eventually but yeah, felt mostly unnecessary other than hinting at her own arc.

So other than the opening sequence which had very refreshing and very neat visuals, this episode left me rather uninterested, especially since Sengoku's thing is so last minute. From the preview it seems like a whole freaking lot will happen next episode so I can get my hopes up again.

I kind of agree with you disagreeing on the last part of it. I don't think Nadeko has a problem with her own body aside from her being ashamed of the marks and people finding out about her issues.
I didn't take it as her being uncomfortable with her own body or wanting to be less womanly.
There's a fair bit to say about this part for people who've read or seen later seasons of it so I kind of get where he's comming from but I don't think it's the case in this scene.
spoiler[My take on it is that there are 2 relevant other scenes, from Nisemonogatari and obviously her entire arc in the 2nd season, that might have influenced Nicks perception of this as he rewatches Bake. While the 2nd season does make a point about her being troubled by being stigmatized as "the cute girl" and she relishes when being called scary, ugly or whatever it was but neither do I think that's something already applicable in this time of the story, nor do I think she has a problem with it as long as it's Araragi who sees her like that. I don't think she has a problem with being cute, womanly, erotic or whatever else. She has a problem with being reduced to that by people and ultimately a sense of guilt over getting away with things because she's cute.

As seen in Nisemonogatari for example, the scene that has Araragi comming over, we have that situation in which Nadeko dresses as extravagantly as humanly possible (for her) trying to seduce Koyomi with all her might in that game of twister etc. She clearly has no problem with that at all. At least not yet]

But that's just my take on it and why I think Nick thinks that way. I might very well be off the mark here.

That being said, I do think Nadeko makes for the weakest character in the series. At least within Bakemonogatari. I love her design and I really think she's cute af but all this introduction does for me is make her look like a trope to pander for people rather than an actual character.
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
aifhak wrote:
I kind of agree with you disagreeing on the last part of it. I don't think Nadeko has a problem with her own body aside from her being ashamed of the marks and people finding out about her issues.
I didn't take it as her being uncomfortable with her own body or wanting to be less womanly.
There's a fair bit to say about this part for people who've read or seen later seasons of it so I kind of get where he's comming from but I don't think it's the case in this scene.
spoiler[My take on it is that there are 2 relevant other scenes, from Nisemonogatari and obviously her entire arc in the 2nd season, that might have influenced Nicks perception of this as he rewatches Bake. While the 2nd season does make a point about her being troubled by being stigmatized as "the cute girl" and she relishes when being called scary, ugly or whatever it was but neither do I think that's something already applicable in this time of the story, nor do I think she has a problem with it as long as it's Araragi who sees her like that. I don't think she has a problem with being cute, womanly, erotic or whatever else. She has a problem with being reduced to that by people and ultimately a sense of guilt over getting away with things because she's cute.

As seen in Nisemonogatari for example, the scene that has Araragi comming over, we have that situation in which Nadeko dresses as extravagantly as humanly possible (for her) trying to seduce Koyomi with all her might in that game of twister etc. She clearly has no problem with that at all. At least not yet]

But that's just my take on it and why I think Nick thinks that way. I might very well be off the mark here.

That being said, I do think Nadeko makes for the weakest character in the series. At least within Bakemonogatari. I love her design and I really think she's cute af but all this introduction does for me is make her look like a trope to pander for people rather than an actual character.

I know I'm a bit in a disadvantage in not knowing the full of the Monogatari franchise and there certainly are a lot of blanks I can't fill just yet. From what you say I can gather I won't even fully understand Nadeko's character by the end of this arc, but in this case I was just taking Nick's words, and what I do understand is that she's troubled for what her body looks like now, not her body or appearence in general.

But my problem with the scene is mostly Araragi and Kanbaru's "funny" reaction. I mean, the parody of the meme made me laugh quite a bit when I saw it in the preview, not so much in context now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7