• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you playing right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:42 am Reply with quote
Ok, so only several weeks after buying the game, I'm finally playing Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! And boy was it easy to pour in hours for me apparently, already dumped almost 5 in. I'm still figuring out the finer details, and things like which Digimon are going to be the best ones, but I guess it's kind of like any monster game in that way. Speaking of monster games, it most reminds me of Dragon Quest Monsters to be honest. But the ingrained Pokemon in my head keeps going "he's a fire looking thing, why is this fire attack super effective on him?!" because Digimon uses multiple different strength and weakness trees and the main one is one of the main types (virus, vaccine, data), though the game clearly doesn't expect you to memorize this bs so it displays with color if the attack will be super effective, neutral, or not very effective (thank Arceus), but it's how a fire type can be weak to a fire attack. I'm sure there's a way to use de-digivolving to my advantage, I just don't know of it yet. Also, I effin' love Peckmon! I liked him a lot in season 5, but being super fast and super powerful in combat only makes me like him more, hooray! I think I determined that if I could have any Digimon from the show as a partner, I'd so want him, so it's nice to have him in the game. Of course, in DQM, you fused monsters together, but I'm still working out details and looking up occasional things online (because damn if the game is going to explain CAM very well apparently) But I definitely look forward to playing more! And I'm glad that the game didn't wait forever on letting you get some decent 'mons too.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
PSN sales do get to me... I'm still playing Digimon Story, of course, but a game just got released on PS4 that was PC only before, and it had a song in the recent Amplitude game (which I still also play a good bit of at random), so for being on sale and having that awesome song in it, I ended up picking up Crypt of the Necrodancer! It's a good game, but holy hell is it hard! It's difficult to describe, it's a rogue-like dungeon crawler (I'm actually glad that zone 1 only has three levels, because I've only made it to the boss once as is!), but there's a beat to it that you need to follow as best you can as well. Following it gives you things like more attack damage and coin bonuses. But damn if I don't die all the time anyway! Each level does have a mini boss, the golden bat is easy. You start each round at square one, with that stupid dagger, and you can pick up more weapons and stuff in dungeon chests. But I will admit, the game doesn't explain itself the best, in order to attack, you just arrow the direction you want to attack in. X throws the weapon (leaving it on the other side of the wall), but then you need to go pick it up, so you can only do that attack once. It took me a while to realize, just arrow the direction to attack and you will automatically attack whatever your weapon is capable of attacking. There's also an arbitrary time limit, once the song for that dungeon level ends, you lose, but there's generally enough time once you figure out how to attack correctly.

But the music is awesome, so it's easy to go back to. Each song actually has two versions of it, because the shopkeeper will sing along to it. Here's an example without the shopkeeper and with the shopkeeper (the second version was the song used for Amplitude)
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:44 am Reply with quote
After seven months of playing Yōkai Watch, I'm trying to get back into Pokémon Y. Still have plenty of adventuring to complete there--I'm not even at the second Gym yet!
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:26 am Reply with quote
Woohoo, I finally beat Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! It was fun, I'd love to see an anime of it (well, I certainly wouldn't mind)

Gotta say though, once I figured out how incredibly broken Lilithmon was, that quickly became my main strategy. It was also how I beat most of the Great Challenges. See, she has this attack that ignores the opponents special defense basically, and she has ungodly high special attack. She was actually one shooting or near one shooting actual bosses, I literally was beating bosses end game going "So.... was that the real fight? Well, there is a boss drop so... I guess?" But she can't take a whole ton of damage, so a problem arose when I had to fight something that was strong to her. But, another team member has a move that "bugs" the target, reversing a strength and weakness on that Digimon, therefore letting Lilithmon be strong to it. So, sure, one extra step in there was needed, but whatever, I liked my strategy. It was literally the only way I could be Ulforceveedramon (the start of the great challenges fights, and easily the most difficult). This is problem because Ulfroceveedramon is ungodly fast and seems to move 5 or 6 times for every one for one of my mons. After getting steam rolled the first time, I set up the plan, and got a bug off, let everyone on the field just die (when your team dies, the next set will take its place, and I made sure Lilithmon was on the next team to come in), and I was lucky that she got to attack and destroy. I still think that was the hardest fight of the game, imo.

But yeah, I enjoyed the game overall, but I also think it could've worked on like, a PS2 or something. It had some of the same problems all JRPGs have, like some menus could be better, and we didn't need this stupid long hallway at the end with zero purpose to it (you couldn't get random encounters there anyway), and a lot of environments were pretty boring, and while I liked the music overall, it did reuse way too few tunes way too often. But I still had fun making Digimon and enjoying the story.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Ulforceveedramon

I am reading this word over and over again, and I still have little idea of how to pronounce it without it sounding most awkward. There are seemingly five syllables, but they do not really combine in a fluent fashion.

I shall never understand Digimon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm halfway through playing Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition. The first two Worlds were fairly a breeze. World 3 was quite a challenge with its Fortress and Castle level, due to the overwhelmingly-powerful Thromps. Morton proved to be a serious powerhouse at his airship.
Saitamadesuda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Currently playing Resident Evil 2 for the PS1, why?
Because I saw the trailer for RE7, and it made me want to play the RE games once again as anticipation for the 7th one.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
Damn you, Dragon Quest Builders! You are AWESOME! I've never played Minecraft to be honest (I'm afraid I'd get addicted, probably true), as I am clearly addicted to this game. I fully acknowledge, this game clearly wouldn't exist without Minecraft, but I like that I have a plot to go along with it and goals, like improving my village with my terribad building skills and stuff. But it also encourage exploration, so that's cool and wastes time like no one's business. This game is a time vampire. Literally the only reason I stopped playing earlier was because something sold on eBay and I had to go to the post office. The fact that I hadn't eaten real food in about 11 hours then came to mind as I stopped playing, lol. I do like that I don't have to arrange things or anything, I just need the materials. But I got the materials myself! It actually reminds me a bit of Fantasy Life (which was made by Level-5, though DQB wasn't), but Fantasy Life did focus on the career thing a lot more and let's face it, PS4 is a more powerful system than 3DS, so they can put a lot more in there. And yeah, I don't miss FL's mini games every time I wanted to make more apple juice or wood or something. Also, the whole time, awesome Dragon Quest music is playing and my ears are just in heaven! Is HxH on hiatus right now? I'd bet this game would do it too.
And I do think it's cool that, plot wise, this actually connects to the very first DQ game. I haven't actually beaten that game, but it was immediately evident to me when flashbacks show mention of "Erdrick", "Alefgard", and it just straight up starts with the Dragonlord. Also, it explains why two block high walls count as a "house" (apparently, roofs are not needed). Apparently (and I guess I'll spoiler tag this, even though the game is like, 30 years old) spoiler[this game spins off the alternate ending where the Hero of DQ1 accepts the Dragonlord's offer for half the world. Which was obviously a trap and it's all ruled by monsters now]. But I am rather a Dragon Quest fanboy, I'm not even sure why I was considering not getting this game at all. It's probably already my favorite of their spinoffs. Sorry, DQ7 remake, but you've gotta wait your turn (which will be well after Pokemon comes out, I'd wager)

But wow, man, I haven't had a game eat time this fast since Roller Coaster Tycoon when I was a kid! Speaking of, I hear there's going to be a game that's combo RCT/Minecraft, so I would definitely want that.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:03 am Reply with quote
Ok, so I think I finally kicked my Dragon Quest Builders habit (for now), so I decided to play a game I got around when I got my PS4, but only now got to playing it, InFamous: Second Son, which actually came out pretty early into the PS4's life cycle, iirc. I'd been meaning to play it for a while now, I liked the first two InFamous games, and of course, Sly Cooper, so this was kind of a no-brainer. And yeah, it's good, I would still call 2 the best in the series though. I think my long delay between playing 2 and Second Son may have helped me because I lost my muscle memory of the first games, which made things less confusing for me. Also, I keep forgetting that the touch pad totally counts as another button because this game remembered and made good use of it.
The new powers were good, probably best to not just rehash electricity, after all. They all controlled basically the same, but they all had advantages in certain situations. Video was the power that worked best for me as I tend to play the long distance or sneaky types in games where I can. But keeping the controls the same between them was very helpful. I also like that they weren't just fire and lightning bending, I don't think I've really seen these three powers used before in other games or movies, etc. so that was pretty cool. Also, his main weapon is a chain, which is really unique (practically, it acts like a whip or a sword, depending on your current power, which isn't too special, but I do like how it looks). And they made Delsin different from Cole in personality, no point in making a replacement goldfish character.
So, ranking the InFamous series overall, I say 2>SS>>>>1. I honestly remember 1 being so boring now, it was too repetitive. 2 had the best variety for sure, and SS was more fun than 1 by far, but I still remember liking 2 better. And SS is a safe place to jump on, I think Sucker Punch had done that on purpose, since it was a new console. Also, the ringtone in the game is the theme from Sly 4: Thieves in Time, which is a nice nod (other in-refs: stores called "Cole McG's", another called "Cooper and McGrath's", and some Sly Cooper graffiti about, and the game is based in fictional Seattle, which is where Sucker Punch is based).
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I had a bit of a bonus this year, so I put in an order for a PlayStation VR.
They seemed to be sold out everywhere, so ordered from Best Buy and went into a holding pattern for a few weeks, but through an odd and unexpected sequence of events, I got it today.

If you get the chance to demo this somewhere, do so!

I did not realize, that it really is true 3d, levels above the 3d movie experience.
Being a fervent (but only slightly talented) Project Diva fan, I bought and played through the Future Tone VR experience. It is pretty amazing, to plant yourself in many quadrants of the audience, or even in various places on the stage. It really can not be described, the abstraction of obvious CGI on the models, combined with realistic motion capture, and responsiveness to your head movements, you really feel like you are a part of their world.

I cant wait to try out more VR games.

It has been a good 6 months for Project Diva fans.

Project Diva X : Vita and PS4 made easier to introduce players to higher levels of play. Kind of counterintuitive, but making it easier to advance on even extreme level at least gets you wanting to improve. Kind of a short playlist, but I really like every song in the set.

Future Tone: PS4. Both halves of this give you a whopping 220 plus songs! Be warned, this is a port of the Arcade games and it is brutal! Introducing playstyles that take a good while to get used to. The models are simplified, but the physics are better, inertia affects many items on the character.

And Future Tone VR 21 songs in all, but a good mix of Project X and other songs, pretty Miku centric, but several of my favorites where included: Name of the Sin, Cute Medley, First Sound, Sweet Devil, Satisfaction, etc... good stuff.

I did hold off on the PS4 until the PRO model was available, and have not regretted the extra cost in the least.

I have heard some claim that the latest update allows you to view 3D blu rays through the VR, I will try it out.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Since I will be retiring very soon I wanted to get back into gaming. Other than having an Atari 2600 (actually a Sears game system licensed from Atari) and prior to that some sort of Pong knockoff, I have never owned a game console. Starting with a Commodore 64 and then moving to the PC (286) I've always been more of a PC gamer.

Unfortunately the equipment I currently own will not work with current PC games without some upgrading, so I have been getting into old DOS games I used to play like crazy.

I've been playing Wolfenstein 3d (it's embarrassing with how bad my memory is for important stuff how much I remember despite not having played it in over 15 years) some but I've spent the most time recently on Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold after getting the full version off Steam (had just the shareware first chapter back in the day). Some people disliked that game but I really enjoy it; unfortunately it came out just before Doom so most people forgot about it. I've also been playing Ultimate Doom and Doom II some along with the shareware version of Duke Nukem II (unfortunately the full version is no longer being sold). Thank goodness for DosBox.

I've also killed a lot of time recently playing Fire Emblem Heroes on my phone and tablet. It's not bad for a mobile game and I might continue with it as long as I can be patient enough not to fall for the whole micro-purchase BS.
Lavenia Leddy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
Well, I am currently playing Sims, some slot games and I have just started Amnesia, the otome game Embarassed
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I was able to upgrade my computer by adding a graphics card (EVGA (NVIDIA) GeForce 1050ti SC (superclocked) with 4GB of RAM) and tested it out by purchasing Witcher III: Wild Hunt Game of the Year edition which includes a bunch of DLC. I played for a couple of hours and the game looked and played fine. I can see why it has been getting rave reviews though so far I could do with more combat and less talk, though that should happen in the future.

I have also been playing Pinball FX2 a lot. Strangely this worked fine before I added the card although the listed requirements say one is needed. This is a good computer pinball game for people who suck at pinball like me as it is easy to score tons of points.

Last night I played around with an indie game called Icey. Normally I would not have bothered with it given how short it is but based on reviews I have seen it has replay value. The game is a 2D hack & slash with a narrator and arrows telling you which way to go; the replay value comes in by ignoring the narrator and doing whatever you want on a second run. The game also breaks the fourth wall a lot. On the downside the controls are ass, to the point where I initially could not even get the menus to work. Fortunately the game starts out with a tutorial after which I got into the options menu and reassigned almost all the keys. There is also no save system; there are checkpoints so if you want to quit partway you need to do it near a checkpoint. Initially the only "plot" is that your character wants to kill someone (who's name I forget). Considering I got it for under $9 with the soundtrack included and there is some free DLC it was a decent deal.
RyuDiceFreak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Taking a break from the post-game play of FFXV till Galdio's episode comes out (I want Promto's so bad, it's killing me).
Playing Dream Drop Distance on Kingdom Heart 2.8 HD after finishing A Fragmentary Passage. I've already played and finish the game on the 3DS but I just can't resist replaying (I kill a lot of time just playing with and level the Dream Eaters~).
Also, playing Tales of Graces (partly because I can't afford Berseria;_Wink. I'm really liking it but I still think my favorite Tale's game so far is Xilla. I just the the game and play characters (Alvin~).
Just started Kingdoms of Amelur but I didn't get a chance to get far yet so no much to say about it and think of start the new Ratchet & Clank.[/list][/code]
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:29 am Reply with quote
i'm currently playing warframe for the PS4. currently taking a break from destiny 1 at the moment until the age of triumph is up and of course until there is any official news on destiny 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 17