• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Digimon World: Next Order

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
I can totally relate, Dustin. There's just something about owning the physical product that makes it more enticing than owning it in digital format, and this doesn't just apply to games either. Books are one major example of it. I know e-readers make it easy to avoid clutter and let you take your many stories you want to read on the road without much hassle, but it just doesn't compare to holding the real thing in your hands and reading it.

Digimon World Next Order: It's pretty obvious to anyone who's followed the series since its inception that Next Order is essentially a super souped up version of the original Digimon World on PlayStation. The major difference is that you have two Digimon to look after while you explore instead of only one. I guess this means you now have more of a "party" than the PS game, but that also means twice as much training and caregiving too. It's neat that the game also has voice acting (the PS title did too, but only during the beginning and ending cutscenes). However, Guilmon in both Japanese and English...it's so weird hearing him with such a grown up voice (though I guess it's no different than what they did with Detective Pikachu XD). I do prefer Steve Blum's much cuter take on the little red bread enthusiast.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
Physical media is still what I prefer, Games, CD's and Videos. Storage isn't really that big of a problem.

When I bought a new DVD burner for my wife's PC a few years ago it came with a blank "M-Disc" DVD. It is supposed to have a rated lifespan of 1000 years, presumably it doesn't get crushed during that time. I picked up a 5 Pack of the M-Disc DVD's last weekend so I may play with archiving some of my Data / Music / Videos. The 5 pack was on the shelf at the local Salvation Army store with all their CD's, cost a whopping 99 cents.

Mark Gosdin
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Pokemon imitator? Pfft. I make no attempts to judge your character, but I think anyone who's gotten into Digimon knows it's the farthest thing from an imitation to Pokemon you can get, barring the generic monster-collecting aspect. Games, anime, books, etc.--it's all significantly different between the two. And I'm a huge fan of both. But whereas I look for powerful world mechanics and lovable teams in Pokemon, I look for maturity and character in Digimon.

I'm not "triggered", but I do think anyone whose impressions of Digimon are that it's fundamentally similar to Pokemon could be pleasantly surprised. This is an opportunity to change perspectives! =D
dkbailey64

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
This is an opportunity to change perspectives! =D

Indeed! And those perspectives have changed. Like I said, "imitator" is the impression I had as a kid.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping for Princess Maker 3 to come out soon. And eventually 4 and 5 too, but they seem way more text heavy from what I hear and thus take longer to translate. There's also that Princess Maker VR project that was announced come to think of it.

PM2 is way better, but PM1 is still fun. It seems to be doing not as well as 2 according to Steam Spy, but that's not too surprising. I doubt sales of 1 will be relevant to whether or not PM3 will be released anyways because of PM2 doing pretty well by itself.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I love it when I get called old fashion or behind the times for still using physical media. Then their hard drive crashes or the stream service they use is shut down and they lose out on hundreds of dollars of stuff they paid for. Laughing
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:52 pm Reply with quote
dkbailey64 wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
This is an opportunity to change perspectives! =D

Indeed! And those perspectives have changed. Like I said, "imitator" is the impression I had as a kid.

You were probably one of the kids I used to argue with back then. When I was the only one among my class that liked Digimon more than Pokémon.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
There is a sliver of hope in this industry when a game like Princess Maker is released in the West and is generally well liked by an audience that generally looks down on Japanese games.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
There is a sliver of hope in this industry when a game like Princess Maker is released in the West and is generally well liked by an audience that generally looks down on Japanese games.

I know you meant jrpgs, but Mario, Zelda, Starfox, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Souls, etc are all Japanese games and all massively popular in the West.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
To sum up the massive, expansive review on Tamer Union; Next 0rder is a major grindfest that goes far too much out of its way at times to keep you on a certain trajectory story-wise and evolution-wise with your partner. The original Digimon World game was much, much, much less linear and discerning.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
If you want to get into Digimon games Digimon Cyber Slueth is probably the best of the recent ones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1