• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
High Passion, High Budget Projects

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I recently started watching a series called Bounen no Xamdou by Bones and I was immediately impressed by a few things:

-the show has a very defined art style
-it is gorgeous
-it's beautifully animated
-it has an orchestral OST
-it's 26 episodes long
-it really wants to be emotionally impactful (whether or not it is is up to you)

I did a bit of research and found that this show was supposed to be flagship downloadable video for the Playstation Network in 2009. This means that Bones definitely had the means to make a high quality show, as well as the passion.

It's obvious that they were passionate about it because of how alive the world and the characters are. The environments and backgrounds are beautiful, as are the character designs. The world the show takes place in is awe inspiring, and lively. On top of that, the story is original and has an epic quality to it.

Shows that have alot of the same qualities to them include From the New World, Psycho Pass, Guilty Crown, and Escaflowne. (there are more out there)

These shows have an epic feel and are great visually. They have higher financial backing (20 episodes+), and have great orchestral scores. These kinds of shows are trying to be alot more than a 12 episode fire-and-forget seasonal anime. Also they're usually (mostly) original.

Bottom line: does anybody know anymore? I like these kinds of shows Anime hyper
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I feel like no other anime defines "passion" better than Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann.

It's so positively chock full of energy and badassery that it can instantly put you in high spirits.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I feel like no other anime defines "passion" better than Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann.

It's so positively chock full of energy and badassery that it can instantly put you in high spirits.

Gurren Lagann is pretty cool...

spoiler[But Frieza's brother is Cooler].
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
OwlBiceps wrote:
I recently started watching a series called Bounen no Xamdou by Bones and I was immediately impressed by a few things:

-the show has a very defined art style
-it is gorgeous
-it's beautifully animated
-it has an orchestral OST
-it's 26 episodes long
-it really wants to be emotionally impactful (whether or not it is is up to you)

I did a bit of research and found that this show was supposed to be flagship downloadable video for the Playstation Network in 2009. This means that Bones definitely had the means to make a high quality show, as well as the passion.

It's obvious that they were passionate about it because of how alive the world and the characters are. The environments and backgrounds are beautiful, as are the character designs. The world the show takes place in is awe inspiring, and lively. On top of that, the story is original and has an epic quality to it.

Shows that have alot of the same qualities to them include From the New World, Psycho Pass, Guilty Crown, and Escaflowne. (there are more out there)

These shows have an epic feel and are great visually. They have higher financial backing (20 episodes+), and have great orchestral scores. These kinds of shows are trying to be alot more than a 12 episode fire-and-forget seasonal anime. Also they're usually (mostly) original.

Bottom line: does anybody know anymore? I like these kinds of shows Anime hyper

Hm... well, I think Guilty Crown as you mentioned is GREAT. I know franchise projects are a bit weird, but Fate/Zero and Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin are amazing in all the ways you mentioned before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1