• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Fighting Foodons, Ultra Maniac, Freedom Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:23 am Reply with quote
@KawaiiBunny:
Well, I had the DVD singles (well the first 3 along with the starter box), expensive as was singles at the time, but had to sold them since I've watched the rest of Ultra Maniac when it hit Hulu, so...yeah.

But in short, U.M. was the first Shojo title I've got/read back in the day, and it was fun for a read, though yeah, there was some small differences between the Anime/Manga versions, but fun as it is. Kinda surprised Discotek got an old Geneon license, now if they could do more maybe, lol.
---
@Spawn:
Well, Discotek is the king of classic anime licenses, so, anything's possible.
---
@Fronzel:
That's because the author is a fan of PPG, and yeah I read the side notes and stuff from the manga, lol.
---
@Malvarez
Well, since they brought out Sonic X, and now Fighting Foodons, Shaman King might be a given, and I would seriously be down if Discotek gets TMM/MMP, though both of them in separate releases like Monster Rancher/Farm. Although yeah, TMM has never had a proper home video release stateside. But hopefully one day, and in a possible way the way Sailor Moon's re-dub goes, for example, but that'll be a dream, wouldn't it. (Though MMP ended halfway due to no merchandise deal. Would have been nice if it did continue.)

And yeah, I'd go nuts if Discotek even, if even they get Ultimate Muscle, the whole series even.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:48 am Reply with quote
VampireNaomi wrote:
Ultra Maniac sounds like the kind of a show I might enjoy as a snack in-between something else, so I'll grab it eventually.
Manga fans may take issue with some of the anime's changes and additions, such as creating a "Dark Magical Girl" rival and taking things into more action-oriented territory. But imo it's still a cute, likeable series with a solid Bang Zoom! dub, and I don't hold too many regrets over picking up the Geneon singles+artbox back in the day. Discotek definitely could've done far worse with this dip into the mid-00s licensing well Wink
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:40 am Reply with quote
Discotek is currently my favorite licensor in the game! Wether they're getting garbage like Mad Bull 34 or Chargeman Ken or hidden gems back in print like Key the Metal Idol, I'm always excited to see what they license next! I almost feel bad that every time they license something, all I do is say "MORE!", lol. My "MORE!" this time is stuff like VOTOMs (and other 80s mecha series) and Zoids.

As for this batch, if you haven't seen Freedom, it's actually really good stuff and I'm double dipping for the bluray alone! For being a Nissin cup noodles project, it's somehow still less invasive than Pizza Hut is. You will probably question how two civilizations with no contact both have Nissin cup noodles at their disposal, but it's a fun short scifi series so it's easy to overlook that as Nissin product placement (and even then, they just eat the cup noodles, they don't spend any time praising how awesome they are, I actually wish more things did product placement like this).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:42 am Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
Call Me Tonight
That would be interesting historically, as it was one the first trashy late 80s early 90s OVAs.
ParkerALx wrote:
These are all Toei Douga films, from an experimental era of Japanese animation that fascinates me greatly. Discotek has already dabbled in the era, with Horus: Prince of the Sun, among others, and even if I can't speak for everyone, I'd love to see more. There is some genuinely impressive animation in these old movies.
Well it doesn't look as good as the stuff I am used to watching from that time peroid, but I do appreciate the lovely pre-xeroxed line art, so smooth and clean.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Never thought Ultra Maniac would ever see the light of day again! I remember it as a sometimes delightful piece of fluff. It's one of those shows I hope can find an audience.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:

Baoh[/b]

Two wonderful, trashy OVAs with awesome so-bad-their-funny dubs. They'd be right up Discotek's alley after releasing the likes of Mad Bull 34.

I think releasing Baoh would be nice since the old DVD is hard to come by these days. Not to mention it would be a good way to cash in on the current popularity of Jojo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2