• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eromanga-sensei (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Just make sure you don't turn the R-18G filter off...
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

I got what I had expected from this.
The character designs are pretty faithful.

Masamune's voice is also really recognizable as the MC. The series explores the idea of making light novels so expect to hear a lot about that. Sagiri is cute but her personality is really shy. I actually think her VA did a decent job at portraying her.

The part about the Eromanga author is parodied with a mask although it was pretty obvious who she was in the first place. Anyways yeah, pretty straightforward episode. Hope to see some of the other main characters get their screen time soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Masamune's voice is also really recognizable as the MC.

Personally it feels kinda wrong not to hear Yuuichi Nakamura's voice come out of that face.

Things it does better than Oreimo #1: Establishes upfront that they're step-siblings. This way it'll be more credible if it goes the romance route rather than the familial route and won't be an end game asspull.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Show seems good so far. I got a few mild laughs out of it and I was entertained throughout. Though maybe Sagiri comes off as a bit too overwhelmingly moe if that's even a valid criticism.

Vaisaga wrote:

Personally it feels kinda wrong not to hear Yuuichi Nakamura's voice come out of that face.

Matsuoka sounds fine to me. His calm voice is pleasant to listen to and he can do some snarky and goofy voices too.

Vaisaga wrote:
This way it'll be more credible if it goes the romance route

Pfft. He should hook up with his hot editor.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Matsuoka sounds fine to me. His calm voice is pleasant to listen to and he can do some snarky and goofy voices too.

Matsuoka is good, though his voice can get too scratchy whereas I always read Masamune as having a softer voice. Still, he looks too much like Kyousuke.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Eh, Masamune looks more baby-faced. The hair is a bit similar, but to me he doesn't look like Kyousuke that much.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

This really does remind one of Oreimo, and after the bad taste after that series, it feels normal to be a little worried. Step siblings said off the bat is better against certain problems, which as a whole I would rather not repeated. Although, dead parents is a bit of an especially problematic cliché, but it kind of look like there was a bit of a heart of something interesting.

I don't know, but so far I think that I will probably like this even if I am a little wary.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
Trust me when I say it's like the series goes out of its way to prevent the problems Oreimo had.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
It depends on what you define as a problem. Frankly, I found the first episode of Eromanga-sensei skeevier than virtually any episode of OreImo, with the exception of the notorious conclusion of season 2. And the show is just getting started.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I think I can have a list of problems that in the end caused a problem with Oreimo, which I would be interested if it will subvert.

First, please don't make his normal female friend spoiler[twofaced, Manami was a pretty cool character until it came to light that she pretty much poisoned the relationship between the siblings], and it feels like what kind of made it particularly unhealthy. I hope the girl we saw in the bookstore will be as nice as she looks.

Second, maybe this follow through in not dissolving into the romance it actually looks like it might. Teasing may be fine, anime is filled with all sorts of teasing of forbidden things, but could this actually be canonically a story where these two who lost their family regain family in the form of brother and sister regardless of any tension.

Third, out of a still sore bit, maybe not even have a character best girl on the level of Ruri if spoiler[you are going to throw it away].

Maybe even sister be not so hostile.

No yandere friend.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Frankly, I found the first episode of Eromanga-sensei skeevier than virtually any episode of OreImo

In what way? You do get a few shots of Sagiri's clothes hanging lose when she's crawling around, but it's in wide shots, the camera never zooms in on it, and it's not Masamune's POV so it's not like he's the one ogling her. Compare to Kirino's wiggling ass shot from the first episode of Oreimo.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Skeevier because the little sister looks extremely young (and is, she's 12) and the brother seems to be hornier for her than Kirito ever was for his imouto.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Actually this guy is Kirito. The other guy is Tatsuya.

In any case, the age difference is the same as Oreimo (3 years) so that's not much of an issue. And if it does go the romance route, it's better if they establish he is "horny for her" now than have it be a sudden ending asspull.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, no. Maybe in Vaisaga World having a 17 year-old lust after a 14-year-old is the exact same thing as having a 15-year-old lust after a 12-year-old, but out here in the real world they are not. Don't get me wrong, both are uncomfortable, especially in the context of siblings and step-siblings, but the latter is further down the uncomfortable spectrum. I'm not interested in your justification for why you feel they are the same, so don't take my disagreement as invitation to expand on your views, thanks. Let's just agree to disagree on that particular topic and be done with it.

And I would prefer an asspull if it were to happen because then I don't have to deal with the squickiness until the very end as opposed to having it pollute every single episode.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Eh? I don't see this kid "lusting" over his imouto; in fact just the opposite seems true; she wants him but he thinks of her only as his imouto and this hurts her.

Anyway, since when is three years such a big deal? Right now they are both minors and they'll end up at the same high school.

Quote:
but out here in the real world they are not.

Why does the real world matter here? Laughing

Anyway, this was.....adorable. I'll keep this show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13